Author Topic: Verdant  (Read 3107 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Verdant
« on: July 01, 2013, 10:57:57 AM »
Verdants are deeply in tune with nature, and are able to call forth the power of plants to punish those who desecrate it. Plants grow in the blink of an eye under their influence, breaking through stone and concrete with the persistence of life itself. They utilize any plants that are available, or failing that, cast out seeds to spring to life.

Circle 1 Entangling Growth SLA: You call forth plants to grab your opponents and hold them down. At will, as a move action, you can create a 10ft radius spread within [Close] range that lasts till the end of the [Encounter]. Opponents who enter it or start their turn in it are entangled 1 [Round]. A reflex save (DC 10 + ½ you level + your Wisdom modifier) negates this effect. This radius increases to 15ft at 3rd circle, 20 ft at 5th circle and 30ft at 7th circle.
   In tune EX:  You gain a +3 bonus to nature checks, may use wisdom in place of Intelligence for nature checks, and diplomacy against creatures with the [Plant] type.

Circle 2 - Mother oak SU: You may use an Instant Tree once per [Encounter], except the targeted square may be occupied with a tree and the spread only lasts till the end of the [Encounter]

Circle 3- Overgrowth SLA: At will as a move action, you may create a 50ft radius spread of plant growth within [Close] range  that lasts till the end of the [Encounter]. Creatures within the spread are [Concealed], and creatures other than you treat it as difficult terrain.
 Effects that inflict damage with the [Fire] descriptor burn away plants in their area of effect, removing  those squares from this ability’s area of effect.

Circle 4- Rosebud SLA : At will, as a standard action, you may use wall of thorns, as the spell

Circle 5 - Call Ent SU: Instant Trees you placed now deal 2x your Wisdom modifier to opponents within their spread at the end of your turn,  until the end of the [Encounter]. You may now use Mother Oak twice per [Encounter]

Circle 6: Hallowed Grove SU: You can call forth the full force of nature, causing massive plant growth that fills an area with greenery. At will., you may use Hallow as the spell.
 Poison flowers SLA: As a move action, you create a bloom of deadly flowers. This creates a 10ft radius spread within [Close] range. Creatures in that spread must make a fortitude save(DC 10+½ level + your wisdom modifier) or be [Poisoned]. [Poisoned] creatures become [Energy drained] on the beginning of their turn. They make another fortitude save at the end of their turn to end the [Poisoned] condition. [Poisoned] ends at the end of the [Encounter]

Circle 7 - Mother nature’s army SU: Instant Trees you place may now move up to 50ft at the  beginning of your turn, and their damage increases to 3 times your wisdom modifier. You may use Mother oak 3 times per [Encounter]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:32:41 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

loganic

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Problem Solver Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Verdant
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 02:49:54 PM »
Druid FTW!!!
Love the balancing, , scaling previous abilities while introducing new and broadening range.

I had actually been thinking of reccomending a plant based monsterto Illustrating Legend Kickstarter Add-A-Monster Reward Tier Give-Away Competition, but decided against it.

I'd love for druids to be given a proper class, and for an inclusive track to look like this.

Reccomendations:
Explicitly put [Poison] ends at the end of the Encounter, if they haven't succeeded by then. Minor detail
I feel tempted to reccomend better scaling for Entangling growth, but it probably is perfect the way it is.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:57:45 PM by loganic »

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »
Druid FTW!!!
Love the balancing, , scaling previous abilities while introducing new and broadening range.

I had actually been thinking of reccomending a plant based monsterto Illustrating Legend Kickstarter Add-A-Monster Reward Tier Give-Away Competition, but decided against it.

I'd love for druids to be given a proper class, and for an inclusive track to look like this.

Reccomendations:
Explicitly put [Poison] ends at the end of the Encounter, if they haven't succeeded by then. Minor detail
I feel tempted to reccomend better scaling for Entangling growth, but it probably is perfect the way it is.
Thanks.
Good call for [Poison]. I think Entangling growth is fine, its pretty good for a 1st circle move action. If anything needs a boost it is overgrowth.

Nillin

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:14:40 PM »
Personally I think Overgrowth is fine, it's got a great radius and adds difficult terrain, if anything I'd suggest expanding it to say "and creatures other than you and your allies treat it as difficult terrain". I'm also currious as to how many instances of Overgrowth you can have active at a time, could you for example spend your first few standard actions running and just cover the entire field in Overgrowth or can you only have say 3 instances of the stuff and when you use it the fourth time your first withers away.

I'd also suggest moving away from explicitly saying that you use your Wisdom modifier, the only track that specifically mentions a stat is the Paladins Smiting track and I've seen players use that fact to effectively build one stat characters. I'd suggest you use either KOM or KDM and then just state that Verdant changes your KOM/KDM (whichever you end up going with) to Wisdom unless etc.

Other than that this looks awesome and I am totally going to use it. Seriously your stuffs great.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »
Personally I think Overgrowth is fine, it's got a great radius and adds difficult terrain, if anything I'd suggest expanding it to say "and creatures other than you and your allies treat it as difficult terrain". I'm also currious as to how many instances of Overgrowth you can have active at a time, could you for example spend your first few standard actions running and just cover the entire field in Overgrowth or can you only have say 3 instances of the stuff and when you use it the fourth time your first withers away.
The thing is, by the time it comes in, everyone is getting flight, or will be soon, so the difficult terrain isn't as relevant anymore.
You could run around spamming overgrowth everywhere. It is probably a very silly thing to do, but you could do it.
I'd also suggest moving away from explicitly saying that you use your Wisdom modifier, the only track that specifically mentions a stat is the Paladins Smiting track and I've seen players use that fact to effectively build one stat characters. I'd suggest you use either KOM or KDM and then just state that Verdant changes your KOM/KDM (whichever you end up going with) to Wisdom unless etc.
Elementalist, necromancer, and several others let you pick a stat to use. Its no different here, except there is only one choice. Much like the spellcasting tracks.
Other than that this looks awesome and I am totally going to use it. Seriously your stuffs great.
Thank you. I'm glad you like it.

munchlord

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 04:05:28 AM »
I don't see a range on Entangling Growth and Overgrowth. I sort of assumed it to be Close, since that's the range of Poison Flowers, but still you should probably list it.