Author Topic: Track-specific [Iconic] feats  (Read 7582 times)

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
Track-specific [Iconic] feats
« on: March 23, 2012, 09:43:06 PM »
Edit: I really like the [Iconic] Just Blade feats. We should have more track specific iconic feats!
More feats in this tread:
Cross-disciplinary Casting, Song of Steel, Healing Shiv

What do you think about a feat like this?

Diverse Elementalist
Your studies do not focus on just a single energy type.
Prerequisites: Elementalist track
Benefit: The energy type of your Elementalist circles does not rely on your initial choice. Instead, you chose all circles's energy types individualy either when you acquire them or take this feat, whatever happens last.

The goal is to clear the way for the "generic elementalist" as we know him from various games. A single mage who can cast Fireballs, Cone of Cold, Lightning Bolts, etc..

I did consider to allow chosing on a per-cast basis but that would make the Elementalist lose a lot of flavor, IMHO.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Feat: Diverse Elementalist
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 09:58:17 PM »
Huh, that's got a good bit of potential; I like it.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »
Thats similar to one I came up with, only with mine it was determined randomly on a per-cast basis, with a limited ability to force a specific type. I'm not seeing any problems with this version, though both of these have the drawback of weakening the second circle. Either you are creating a vulnerability to an energy type that is no longer your focus, making it relatively weaker, or you are giving yourself immunity to an energy type you may not be using.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 04:56:44 AM »
Thats similar to one I came up with, only with mine it was determined randomly on a per-cast basis, with a limited ability to force a specific type. I'm not seeing any problems with this version, though both of these have the drawback of weakening the second circle. Either you are creating a vulnerability to an energy type that is no longer your focus, making it relatively weaker, or you are giving yourself immunity to an energy type you may not be using.
I just saw your Prismatic Caster - Sorry, I didn't mean to imitate your homebrew.

How about this addition:
"Your second circle's Forced Vulnerability now affects all energy attacks you draw from the Elementalist track."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 05:02:35 AM »
I just saw your Prismatic Caster - Sorry, I didn't mean to imitate your homebrew.

How about this addition:
"Your second circle's Forced Vulnerability now affects all energy attacks you draw from the Elementalist track."
That would fix it. It feels weird, but there isn't really anything wrong with it, and it doesn't let you do anything you couldn't do before. I want to object to it for some reason, but I can't figure out why.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 09:07:06 AM »
This may sound weird, but bear with me. What if the diverse elementalist worked like this?

Circle 1 would be a choice like Diverse Elementalist already described.
Circles 2, 3, and 4 would be choosing a Circle 3 option (excluding elemental boost).
Circles 5 and 6 would be choosing a Circle 5 option.
Circle 7 would be a choice like Diverse Elementalist already described.

For Circles 2, 3, and 4, you could choose the same element in different forms, choose different elements of the same from, or anything inbetween.
For Circles 5 and 6, you could choose either twice or each once.
Every circle choice must be distinct [no real reason to get the same exact ability (identical element and from) twice].
Maybe add the caveat that the element you choose can't be the element you chose last circle...

Thus, you get the flexibility without some of the auxiliary abilities, because you aren't associated strongly enough with any one elements for the usage of the auxiliary circles to make sense.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:09:22 AM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

chris`

• Design and Testing Lead
  • Core Team
  • Minion
  • Dev Team Ballot Box Magic 8-Ball RoC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 01:11:19 PM »
I think that choosing elemental types on a per-circle basis (as with the OP) is probably the best way to go. Otherwise, we would see either an unreasonable increase in flexibility (choosing new elements on the fly) or an increase in randomness that would not favor players (random element selection at casting time). 2nd circle can be cleaned up pretty nicely by simply choosing resistance instead of vulnerability. If you want to keep vulnerability as an option, you should add a reminder to pick a kind of vulnerability that will be useful with the other abilities or with the party. Vulnerability doesn't have to synergize with every track ability to be worthwhile; having a couple circles with the same damage type would suffice.

Yoder's suggestion seems a bit too complicated. I think that if someone wanted to actually implement it, they would have to write it as an alternative track (like we're doing with War Dance Rage right now) instead of as a feat.
Chris Campbell
Design and Testing Lead
Rule of Cool Gaming

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 01:59:55 PM »
This may sound weird, but bear with me. What if the diverse elementalist worked like this?

Circle 1 would be a choice like Diverse Elementalist already described.
Circles 2, 3, and 4 would be choosing a Circle 3 option (excluding elemental boost).
Circles 5 and 6 would be choosing a Circle 5 option.
Circle 7 would be a choice like Diverse Elementalist already described.

For Circles 2, 3, and 4, you could choose the same element in different forms, choose different elements of the same from, or anything inbetween.
For Circles 5 and 6, you could choose either twice or each once.
Every circle choice must be distinct [no real reason to get the same exact ability (identical element and from) twice].
Maybe add the caveat that the element you choose can't be the element you chose last circle...

Thus, you get the flexibility without some of the auxiliary abilities, because you aren't associated strongly enough with any one elements for the usage of the auxiliary circles to make sense.
But there is a scaling in power between circles, so replacing 1/encounter be vulnerable to an element with an extra use of a major AoE would seem to be a large power boost. I'm also unsure why you would want to remove elemental wall; that's classic.
and again, another per encounter use of a very potent abilityis quite powerful. This just throws the balance of the track all over the place.
I think that choosing elemental types on a per-circle basis (as with the OP) is probably the best way to go. Otherwise, we would see either an unreasonable increase in flexibility (choosing new elements on the fly) or an increase in randomness that would not favor players (random element selection at casting time). 2nd circle can be cleaned up pretty nicely by simply choosing resistance instead of vulnerability. If you want to keep vulnerability as an option, you should add a reminder to pick a kind of vulnerability that will be useful with the other abilities or with the party. Vulnerability doesn't have to synergize with every track ability to be worthwhile; having a couple circles with the same damage type would suffice.
My random version offered a blend. If an enemy is resistant/immune to an element, you  have 1/4 chance of hitting it, instead of running into it 100% of the time when it arises. Similarly, if something is vulnerable, you will still hit it 1/4 of the time, instead of 0% of the time if you are not fortunate enough to have the right one. Then there are per encounter uses where you can choose the element, for when you want to get a specific effect; sometimes its not even about the element, but about the rider effects. Also, mine was an [iconic] feat, so the power increase is to be expected.
Yoder's suggestion seems a bit too complicated. I think that if someone wanted to actually implement it, they would have to write it as an alternative track (like we're doing with War Dance Rage right now) instead of as a feat.
I agree, it doesn't seem like an appropriate way to handle a feat.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 03:21:44 AM »
What do you think about a feat like this?

Diverse Elementalist
Your studies do not focus on just a single energy type.
Prerequisites: Elementalist track
Benefit: The energy type of your Elementalist circles does not rely on your initial choice. Instead, you chose all circles's energy types individualy either when you acquire them or take this feat, whatever happens last.

The goal is to clear the way for the "generic elementalist" as we know him from various games. A single mage who can cast Fireballs, Cone of Cold, Lightning Bolts, etc..

I did consider to allow chosing on a per-cast basis but that would make the Elementalist lose a lot of flavor, IMHO.
Approve, including the per-circle basis.

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
Re: Track-specific [Iconic] feats
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 04:47:31 PM »
Reviving this thread for more track-specific feats!

Cross-disciplinary Casting [Iconic (?)]
You go out of your way to add more spells to your repository, even if it goes against your teachers' lessons.
Prerequisites: spellcasting track
Benefit: Whenever you learn a new spell, instead of chosing a spell from your spellcasting track's spell list you may chose a spell from a different spellcasting track's spell list. Treat that spell as if it were of a circle 1 higher than usual.

Song of Steel [Iconic]
The rythm of your strikes improves not just your magical abilities.
Prerequisites: Iron Magi track
Benefit: You gain a bonus to attack rolls equal to the length of your current chain. This bonus can not exceed +5(?).

Healing Shiv [Iconic]
You hurt somebody important to you and subsequently learned to use the power of your weapon not only to kill, but also to heal.
Prerequisites: Iron Magi track
Benefit: You gain access to the Beat of Life ability.
Beat of LifeEX: The Beat can be activated as a [Chain Component], replacing one or more consecutive attacks in a single attack action. For every attack replaced this way, you may restore 1 HP per character level plus your KOM to an ally within [Melee] range.
The Beat can also be used as a [Chain Finisher], for any chain 1 hit or longer. Treat it as if it had replaced a single attack.
Both activation methods are restricted to one use per [Round] each.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 07:28:30 PM »
Song of Steel and Healing Shiv are both fantastic.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 10:04:19 PM »
What would be the cost of being able to adjust the energy type of your abilities at will, instead of getting 1 at each circle.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »
What would be the cost of being able to adjust the energy type of your abilities at will, instead of getting 1 at each circle.
Another Track?

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 02:58:20 PM »
I have considered giving Diverse Elementalist access to all elements for their 1st Circle ability (and possible the respective passive upgrades?).
Would that be too strong?

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 03:52:38 PM »
For 1st Circle, I think it would be fine. I'm less confident on the upgrades - maybe make that a second or even third feat in a tree with the [Iconic] feat as the prereq?
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.