Author Topic: The Stuff of Legend Discussion: Negative Design (8/5)  (Read 4180 times)

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Stuff of Legend Discussion: Negative Design (8/5)
« on: August 05, 2013, 06:44:31 PM »
Discuss today's The Stuff of Legend column, Negative Design.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:50:02 PM by afroakuma »

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Stuff of Legend Discussion: Negative Design (8/5)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:11:19 PM »
Damn, now I'm hungry.
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 07:37:04 PM »
Very interesting read.
I agree, limitations can be very useful. They form a backbone to build on creatively, while still letting design and balance to be applied. The basic concept is why we even have a system in the first place; otherwise, we would just have freeform combat, say you can do whatever you want, and offer no limits to what you can do. That quickly devolves into a bunch of peolple saying "I win" "I win first" "I stop you" "I stop you from stopping me" etc. It is the structure of the game which makes it interesting to play. Chess has amazing depths of strategy because you are limited in what you can do at any given time.
The trick, of course, is to create a set of limits that is a positive effect, rather than destructive. Establishing bounds that will foster balance and strategy to the game, rather than bounds that are limiting productive options. Freedom and flexibilty are good, but it is easy to get caught up in them and sacrifice needed bounds in an attempt to increase them.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 12:48:57 AM »
Demonize D&D much?
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 01:04:36 AM »
Demonize D&D much?

"Demonize?" I think you're overdramatizing. D&D is referenced three times by my count, twice with rather neutral comparisons and once in reference to Mystic Theurge, which D&D players acknowledge to be suboptimal (because it is).

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 01:28:17 AM »
I dunno, I thought the mentions and alternate names were funny.

It was also interesting to read about how restrictions are made in such a permissive game. I'm still not super convinced about why the paladin and rogue tracks are needed there, but I'm not exactly gonna make a fuss about it.

Regitnui

• Elite
  • Father of the Four
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 01:53:40 AM »
As a certain designer for a more famous game I'm sure at least a few people on here play (*cough*Magic*Cough*) would say; "Restrictions breed creativity." It's nice to see why the Paladin and Rogue have their signature tracks and the process behind them.

I hadn't thought of Shaman's Path as a Legend cleric's 'Domain'. It's certainly an elegant solution, and I'm certainly going to play with it a bit more now. The healer refluff is actually a much better fit for my setting than witchdoctor/druid.
Sebrica - The House of Corners
A Homebrew Campaign Setting

loganic

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Problem Solver Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »
As a certain designer for a more famous game I'm sure at least a few people on here play (*cough*Magic*Cough*) would say; "Restrictions breed creativity."

I agree some restriction is good, but it is also well enough to keep the system elegantly simple. A few exceptions are fine. Too many are hard to remember. A good selection of choices is fine, an massive amount like the previous article regarding circle based character building is overwhelming. It takes a good straightward balance to get an ideal. I think you've done it.