Author Topic: Worlds' End Discussion: Fair Trial (8/9)  (Read 5725 times)

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Worlds' End Discussion: Fair Trial (8/9)
« on: August 09, 2013, 10:36:43 PM »
Discuss today's Worlds' End column, Fair Trial.

Greybender

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Worlds' End Discussion: Fair Trial (8/9)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »
I absolutely love it, all the wacky stuff that I always wanted to do to my players has now found itself inspiration to become all the more wackier.
The game would implode into rocket tag in a twisted mockery of all that is wrong with 3.5, angels would weep and the skies would fall, and it would all be your fault. Yours and yours alone.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:55:43 AM »
I would love to run a campaign like this. It can be an excuse to invoke practically any one-off challenge you want to run the party through, while simultaneously offering a long-term advancement for them to worry about and political maneuverering to perform.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Narsis

• Elite
  • Pirate Robot Ninja Dragon
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 02:04:01 AM »
gotta say i like this way more than the last one.  i'd definitely run/play in a campaign like this.
Awesome Legend pally avatar by Prime32

Regitnui

• Elite
  • Father of the Four
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 03:59:48 AM »
I'd only use this for a one-shot or a single adventure. While a setting without rules might allow wackiness, it isn't very conducive to a multi-session campaign or any form of character development. I'm sure it could be done, but this isn't the sort of campaign I would enjoy GMing. There's far too much leeway for things to get out of hand far too quickly.
Sebrica - The House of Corners
A Homebrew Campaign Setting

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »
I'd only use this for a one-shot or a single adventure. While a setting without rules might allow wackiness, it isn't very conducive to a multi-session campaign or any form of character development. I'm sure it could be done, but this isn't the sort of campaign I would enjoy GMing. There's far too much leeway for things to get out of hand far too quickly.
I would disagree. There are rules. It has even laid out a clear path of advancement, along with several alternative routes. This particular setup would be fairly pointless as a one-shot, as you may as well just have been doing whatever the courts had you do directly. This offers a great setup to do the creative challenges you might put together for a one-shot, while dealing with the courts you have plenty of room for character development. Look at the Dresden Files. Without getting into specifics, the fey have a fairly alien way of going about things, but also some clear rules they must follow, It is often strange, and the rules are really odd from a human's point of view, but ultimately it ends up being deep in a web of intrigue, plots, and counter-plots, rather than randomness.

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »
Remind me to never get myself stuck in the Fey Courts for too long. >_<

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »
So, moment of truth: what's the preference of the first two, Cathexis or Fair Trial?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 02:44:45 PM »
I like Cathexis more, just because it plays to my personal style preferences more

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 04:39:59 PM »
That's a bit of a tricky question, mostly because people will always have varying tastes when it comes to campaigns. Fair Trial would be great for someone who likes heavy interaction games, although combat is most definitely a possibility, and I can bet that you could throw in a puzzle or two without it being out of line for such a campaign. Cathexis would probably allow for more combat and I guess exploration. I would say Cathexis would be more up my alleyway, since I am more of a "beat up dudes, take their monies" kind of guy, or the kind of guy who would fit into a hobo-murder squad, as some of you call it.

Greybender

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 08:16:17 PM »
Honestly I'd prefer to use Fair Trial, because it seems slightly more open ended to me, as far as the gaming possibilities go.
The game would implode into rocket tag in a twisted mockery of all that is wrong with 3.5, angels would weep and the skies would fall, and it would all be your fault. Yours and yours alone.

Regitnui

• Elite
  • Father of the Four
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 02:23:13 AM »
Personally, I'd like Cathexis, as I prefer worlds I can build on to. I don't like lawyers, no matter how many fantasy sword fights you put in.
Sebrica - The House of Corners
A Homebrew Campaign Setting

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 03:12:21 AM »
I rather enjoy the zany antics that Fair Trial seems suited for.
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 03:50:34 PM »
Of the two, I would more look forward to a Fair Trial game.  Not sure why, but Cathexis didn't grab my attention very strongly.

Tarkisflux

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • DnD Wiki Bureaucrat
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 11:59:06 PM »
So, moment of truth: what's the preference of the first two, Cathexis or Fair Trial?

Fair Trial, and that's true of everyone I've shown them to as well (though to be fair, it's a group of people rather biased in favor of gonzo/ridiculous games).