Author Topic: Spirit Guide  (Read 4349 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Spirit Guide
« on: August 19, 2013, 12:17:39 PM »
Some possess the ability to call upon spirits for aid. Spirits of their ancestors, spirits of the land, their personal spirit animal, the specifics of what spirits aid you can vary.
When you select this track, choose your highest Spellcasting Ability Modifier (SAM), or if you
do not have a SAM, your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma modifier. This becomes your Track
Ability Modifier (TAM) for this track. The save DC for abilities under this track is equal to 10 + ½
your character level + your Track Ability Modifier.

Optional Rule – Seance: Once per [Scene], you can perform a ritual to interrogate the spirit of someone deceased,  allowing it to answer several questions that you put to it for up to half an hour. You may ask one question per two levels you possess. Unasked questions are wasted if the duration expires. The spirit’s is compelled to answer each question truthfully, although the spirit’s knowledge is limited to what the creature knew during life, including the languages it spoke (if any), and the creature is only compelled to answer the explicit question asked. You must be at the location of the spirit, which is typically either its place of residence or its place of death, but may be at another significant location for that spirit. Furthermore, you  cannot interrogate a spirit that has been subject to Seance in the previous week.

Circle 1- Spiritual Guide: You rely on the spirits wisdoms to guide your actions. Choose one of the following benefits:
   Spiritual Warrior SU: A gain a fury bonus to attacks  equal to your circles in this track. You gain the spiritual might natural weapon. At your choice, this may also possess the [Arcane] weapon property.
   Spiritual Might- ranged, range [Close],  [Brutal 2] [Magnum]
   Spiritual Seer SU: You gain a deflection bonus to AC equal to your circles in this track.

Circle 2- Choose one of the following abilities:
   Spiritual Identification SU: You can learn to use the spirits knowledge of your foes against them. Whenever you would attempt a Knowledge skill check of a type relevant to a creature against a creature of that type (Medicine against a [Humanoid], for example), you may instead make a check of 1d20 + 2+your level + your TAM.

Spiritual Senses SU: You gain darkvision and  [Tremorsense] out to [Close] range, and a +2 bonus to awareness and perception.

Circle 3 - Spiritual Scouts SLA- You may utilize spirits to scout out areas for you. You may cast prying eyes as the spell once per [Scene]

Additionally, you gain one of the following abilities:
Spiritual Retainer SU: A spirit is capable of sustaining magical effects for far longer than they could normally persist. When you are the target of a spell at least 1 circle lower than your highest circle in this track with a duration of [Encounter], you may extend its duration to [Scene] for you only. You may only extend 1 spell this way per [Scene].

Spiritual Leash SLA: Once per [Encounter], as a move action, you may bind the spirit of an opponent in [Close] range to your own. That opponent cannot voluntarily leave your [Close] range, and you gain +2 bonus to the DC of any abilities used against that opponent. If you are not within [Close] range of the opponent at any point during their turn, this effect ends. This is a [Binding] effect. A will save negates this effect.

Circle 4 - Spiritual Manifestation: Once per [Encounter], as a move action, you can allow a spirit to  manifest. This can have one of the following effects:
   Spiritual Horror SU: All opponents with line of sight to you must make a will save or be [Shaken] for 2 [Rounds]
   Spiritual Soothing SU: For the rest of the [Encounter], allies within [Close] range have [Fast Healing] equal to your level.
   Spiritual Poltergeist SU: You are able to channel your abilities through the spirits. Place a spirit within [Close] range. You can hear and establish line of sight as though you occupied the square the spirit occupies, and may make attacks or activate abilities as if your were in it’s square. This spirit disappears after 1 [Round], and may be replaced with a partial move  action.

Circle 5 - Spiritual Lore SLA : You are able to call upon the spirits knowledge. You may use Legend Lore, as the spell, once per [Scene]
Additionally, gain one of the following abilities:
Spiritual Spellcasting SU: If you possess a spellcasting track, add 3 spells of up to 5th circle to your spells known.

Spiritual Warding SU- As a move action, you can cause all opponents within [Close] range to be [Blown away] from you.

Circle 6- Spiritual Infusion SU: Once per [Round], as a swift action, You can infuse yourself with spiritual energy. Whenever you do so, you gain a bonus to damage you deal with attacks or offensive actions equal to your TAM for one [Round], and you may inflict [Hp reduction] equal to half the damage you inflict.

Circle 7- Spiritual Possession SU: Once per [Scene], if you die or are rendered [Unconscious], you return to life the following [Round] at half of your maximum hit points. You can delay your resurrection any number of [Rounds] or choose not to return at all. Upon your return, you are possessed by a spirit, and until the end of the [Encounter], you gain [Resistance] to all, fast healing equal to your level, and a +7 bonus to all damage.

-or-
   Astral Projection SU: Once per [Encounter, with 1 minute of effort, you may project your astral self. Your body rendered [Unconscious], and if it takes damage this effect ends. You may create a small item known as your focus, which can be carried by another person.  While astral projecting, you may place your astral body within [Close] range of your body or your focus. Your astral body functions exactly as your body does, uses the same limits for abilities, and can be considered you for all intents and purposes. When your astral form would be killed, you are instead returned to your body. Your astral form may remain projected indefinitely, though your body will still need food, air, and water as normal.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:40:56 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Spirit Guide
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 12:18:30 PM »
I have 2 versions of 7 because I am undecided on which I want. Any thoughts on the matter?

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
"Attacks or offensive actions" is a bit redundant.
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »
"Attacks or offensive actions" is a bit redundant.
That is the wording construct uses

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 02:32:16 PM »
For Spiritual Identification, are you using the 12+level+TAM as the result of the identification skill check, obviating the need to roll or be trained in the skill?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 02:36:04 PM »
For Spiritual Identification, are you using the 12+level+TAM as the result of the identification skill check, obviating the need to roll or be trained in the skill?
It is meant to obviate the need to be trained in the skill, but not the need to roll. I changed it to reflect this

sakuuya

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »
Spiritual Leash and Spiritual Horror both offer saves based on KOM. Should it be TAM? As-is, this track only uses its TAM once.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 03:40:15 PM »
Spiritual Leash and Spiritual Horror both offer saves based on KOM. Should it be TAM? As-is, this track only uses its TAM once.
You are right, those should be TAM, I changed how I was doing things halfway through.

Gikkman

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »
I think Astral Projection is the cooler of the two 7th Circle ablilities. It does something relativley new and isn't simply a variation of the other reincarnation abilites that exists.