Author Topic: Companions  (Read 4368 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Companions
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »
Its been oft asked for, and many attempts have been made, but I think I have managed to create a satisfactory and balanced companion track, or at least its heading in the right direction.
Feedback is appreciated

1st- Faithful companion EX: You are accompanied by an [Average] or [Small] sized companion of a creature type of your choice. It has a UAM, ability scores, hp, saves, AC, and move speed as a Scout Mook of your level, a melee range as a character of your level. It moves on your turn up to its speed. It does not make attacks or take actions; instead, it uses an offensive ability each [Round]. It stats with the Beast Strike ability. This counts as an offensive action by your companion. If your companion is prevented from taking move actions, it cannot move. If your companion is prevented from taking standard actions it cannot use its offensive abilities.
If the companion is killed, you may revive or replace it before the next [Encounter]
If you are knocked  [Unconscious], your companion falls [Unconscious] until you are revived, or the end of the [Scene], whichever comes first. If you are killed, your companion is also [Dead] until you are revived. If you are still dead at the end of the [Scene], your bond with the companion is broken, and it returns to life free to continue its existence.
Beast strike: Your companion deals damage equal to your KOM to those within its [Melee] range at the end of your turn. This increases your level in damage at 4th circle, and your level+ your KOM at 6th

2nd -Evasive companion EX: Once per [Encounter, if your companion makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an offensive action that would normally have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as a spell with a save of "reflex half"), it may instead ignore the effect entirely.
Additionally, pick one of the following abilities
Animal companion EX: Opponents damaged by your companion's Beast Strike take a -1 penalty to AC for 1 [Round]. This increases to -2 at 4th circle and -3 at 7th circle.
Familiar EX: Opponents damaged by your companion's Beast Strike  take a -1 penalty to saves for 1 [Round]. This increases to -2 at 4th circle and -3 at 7th circle.
Breath weapon SU: Your companion gains the Breath Weapon offensive ability. Choose an elemental descriptor ([Acid], [Cold], [Electricity], or [Fire]). This choice is permanent. The Breath Weapon does 1d6 damage with that elemental descriptor  per circle in this track to an opponent withing [Close] range. A successful reflex save(DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your companion's UAM) halves this damage. On a failed save the target starts [Burning]. At 4th circle this increases to 1d6+1 damage per circle. At 6th circle this increases to 1d6+2 damage per circle

3rd- Skill use EX: Pick a skill. Your companion is trained in that skill, and has a total modifier of your level + its UAM + 2 for that skill. It may use any use of that skill that takes less than one [Round] to execute once per [Round] on your turn. If that skill does something specific to attacks, it applies to your attacks. Skill usages that take more than one [Round] may be used, and take the normal amount of time.
Piercing strike EX: Your companion's Beast Strike, and breath weapon if it has it, ignores [Resistance]

4th Life link EX - If you would be healed any amount of damage, you may heal your companion an equal number of hit points. This cannot be used to heal the companion multiple times from the same ability. Once per [Encounter] as a move action you can summon your companion to your side, not matter where it was. This moves your companion to an unoccupied adjacent square. This link also renders your companion unable to be targeted by Bonded by Blood.
Additionally,  choose one of the following abilities
Agile companion EX: Your companion no longer provokes attacks of opportunity from moving.  Beast Strike now inflicts [Bleeding]
Grappling companion EX: Once per [Encounter] per 3 character levels, your companion inflicts [Entangled] to opponents it damages with Beast Strike. A reflex save(10 + ½ your level + its UAM) negates this effect.
Magical companion SLA : Your companion gains the Magical Gift offensive action. Select a spell at least 1 circle lower than your highest circle in this track. This spell can be changed when you level up. Once per [Encounter], with a swift action, you can command your companion to use the Magical Gift offensive action. This allows it to cast that spell as a spell-like ability. This is a [Surge] effect.

5th-  Companion's offense: choose one of the following abilities
Arcane conduit SU: 3 times per [Encounter], as a move action, you may use your companion’s location for the purposes of determining line of sight, line of effect, and range when calculating whether you can target a location or creature with one of your spells or abilities if it is within [Long] range of you.
Coordinated strike EX: Twice per [Encounter], as a move action, you prepare to strike in coordination with your companion. Your next attack this [Round] against an opponent within [Melee] range of your companion deals additional damage equal to 4 times your character level if it hits. A successful fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ your level + your KOM) halves the additional damage and prevents the attack from reducing your target below 1 hp. Whether it hits or misses, this attack inflicts the [Battered] condition. This is a [Death] effect.

6th-  pick one of the following abilities
 Opportunistic companion EX - Once per [Round], if an opponent would provoke an attack of opportunity while in your companion’s [Melee] range, they may damage it with Beast Strike
     Fell companion Ex: As a swift action, you can draw upon the dark nature of your companion. The DC of the next ability you use is increased by 3.

7th - Fresh Life EX-  Once per [Encounter], if your companion is killed you may restore it to full hp with a move action

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:07:58 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

jared71

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Spell Casting Guide
    • Awards
Re: Companions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:47:57 PM »
Mystify,

I like that the companion is a separate creature and actually has hit points.    At higher levels it's paper thin and won't last very long.  It should receive some or all of the defensive benefits your character has including your circle abilities and bound items.  This benefit could receive some benefits at certain circles.    It would have horrible saves, AC and no resistances at higher levels.  2nd and 3rd circles seem a bit light and perhaps they could just get a bonus to saves and some resistances which might be increased later.  Perhaps a 20% miss chance.

It would be nice to be able to spend at least a standard action to re summon/heal your minion in battle.

You provide a slight caster familiar and a combat critter.  It would be good have a mount option also.

I would make it optional that it does damage each turn.  (Your choice).

Overall it seems like a fun circle.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:59:36 PM by jared71 »

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:20:11 PM »
Mystify,

I like that the companion is a separate creature and actually has hit points.    At higher levels it's paper thin and won't last very long.  It should receive some or all of the defensive benefits your character has including your circle abilities and bound items.  This benefit could receive some benefits at certain circles.    It would have horrible saves, AC and no resistances at higher levels.  2nd and 3rd circles seem a bit light and perhaps they could just get a bonus to saves and some resistances which might be increased later.  Perhaps a 20% miss chance.

It would be nice to be able to spend at least a standard action to re summon/heal your minion in battle.

You provide a slight caster familiar and a combat critter.  It would be good have a mount option also.

I would make it optional that it does damage each turn.  (Your choice).

Overall it seems like a fun circle.
If it gets taken out, then it has absorbed a ton of hits that you would have taken, presenting considerable benefits to you even in health.  I mean, it has 300 hp at level 20. If it gets killed, that is 300 damage  that it could be taking in place of other people. Its no tank, but I think those stats should be enough to let it stand up in combat. I definitely don't want it to be tougher than you are

currently, the mount option is to train it in ride, give it a large mount, then ride around on its mount. This would let it give you your movement, so I am on the fence as to whether this should be allowed.

I have clarified its damage to affect opponents, so if you don't want it to kill something don't tell it that the person is an opponent and it won't attack.

jared71

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Spell Casting Guide
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 08:19:55 PM »
1. Well, a HP sponge is nice but if it's taking a bunch of AOE's and no one is attacking it and it still dies that is annoying.  Perhaps it takes 1/2 damage from AOE effects?

2. It does level damage, can this damage be added to?  (I don't think so).   That means creatures at the same level with resistance or greater resistance will ignore the damage.

I really like the Arcane conduit power.

I guess it remains to be seen how tough the pet is in combat and how long it can survive.  If it dies you effectively loose a whole circle. It would be fun to give it the option of a heal "mend pet", blurry 20% miss chance, or resistances instead of some of the offensive or hindering choices it has.

Narsis

• Elite
  • Pirate Robot Ninja Dragon
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:25:12 PM »
other than the 3rd, 5th, and 6th circles, everything seems a bit lackluster.

Edit: one thing you might want to consider for the damage dealing ability: give it a [Magnum]-like effect that lets it ignore a small amount of [Resistance]/DR.  that should help make it's damage more reliable without making it overpowered against opponents without [Resistance].
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:31:04 PM by Narsis »
Awesome Legend pally avatar by Prime32

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 10:37:13 PM »
Resistance shutting it down is a good point, I will give it something to counteract that.

It should have enough hp that by the time it AoEs out you should be practically dead as well. I'll give it evasion to help it out, though.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 10:45:59 PM »
ok, I added in a few more abilities and made the 2nd circle scale. I think the 6th circle needs to change now, otherwise it will be penalizing saves way too much.

Narsis

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 11:16:39 PM »
just a curious thought on wording: does "ignores [Resistance]" also mean it ignores [Lesser resistance]?  what about [Greater resistance]?  would it ignore all of it or just a portion?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 12:11:24 AM »
just a curious thought on wording: does "ignores [Resistance]" also mean it ignores [Lesser resistance]?  what about [Greater resistance]?  would it ignore all of it or just a portion?
[Resistance] is often used to cover all resistances, including lesser and greater.

jared71

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Spell Casting Guide
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 03:52:37 AM »
Piercing strike: Your companion's damage reduces [Resistance] to damage equal to your level.

The 6th and 7th circles seem to needing to be swapped.  Yes the 6th circle seemed too powerful.

6th Master companion EX-  your companion now deals damage equal to  your level+ your KOM.  Once per [Round], if an opponent would provoke an attack of opportunity while in your companion’s [Melee] range, they take your level+KOM damage.

7th-  Choose one:   
              Death's Escape         EX  - Once per encounter your companion if killed can be revived as a move action.
              Hampering presence EX  - Creatures in melee range of your companion have a -5 to their attack rolls.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »
Piercing strike: Your companion's damage reduces [Resistance] to damage equal to your level.
This just means resistance is pointless, and greater resistance still shuts you down.
The 6th and 7th circles seem to needing to be swapped.  Yes the 6th circle seemed too powerful.
Its actually a gimped version of undead's 5th circle.
6th Master companion EX-  your companion now deals damage equal to  your level+ your KOM.  Once per [Round], if an opponent would provoke an attack of opportunity while in your companion’s [Melee] range, they take your level+KOM damage.

7th-  Choose one:   
              Death's Escape         EX  - Once per encounter your companion if killed can be revived as a move action.
              Hampering presence EX  - Creatures in melee range of your companion have a -5 to their attack rolls.

ok, the 7th circle may be better for 6th. I'm not convinced by your 7th circle though.

jared71

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Spell Casting Guide
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 12:52:03 PM »

Its actually a gimped version of undead's 5th circle.

7th-  Choose one:   

ok, the 7th circle may be better for 6th. I'm not convinced by your 7th circle though.

Well the point of my post was that the 7th circle ability should be impressive and your 7th is pretty lack luster.  If you have some sort of a revival option on the 7th circle then you don't loose your entire tree if your pet dies.  That seems worth it to me.

Your last damage increase should include:  If you choose Agile companion then the damage increases to level + 2x KOM.

The tree is looking really good and I would definitely consider playing it.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:45:23 PM by jared71 »

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »
Ok, I've done some revisions, boosted some things, dropped the 7th circle down to 6th and replaced it, changed its attack mechanics to allow for more flexibility and gave more options.

Narsis

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »
hmm definitely is looking usable now (although 7th still seems kinda weak for a 7th...).

my main concern at the moment is Life Link.  as it is, it's possible (or perhaps i'm misreading something) to combine it with Demon's 6th and get what is essentially 300 extra HP.

also the combination of this + Heroica...things get weird then.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 06:14:15 PM »
hmm definitely is looking usable now (although 7th still seems kinda weak for a 7th...).

my main concern at the moment is Life Link.  as it is, it's possible (or perhaps i'm misreading something) to combine it with Demon's 6th and get what is essentially 300 extra HP.

also the combination of this + Heroica...things get weird then.
heroica is basically just a bad choice. there is very little it does that actually gives a real benefit. ... except I broke the "it dies with you" part, let me fix that.
bonded by blood is weird. I'll need to think about this more