Author Topic: Warlock  (Read 6921 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Warlock
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:20:30 PM »
Warlock

Circle 1- Eldritch blast SU: You can channel dark energies to lash out at your opponents. You start with one of the following forms.    
Eldritch burst- At will, you may deal magic damage equal to 1d6 per level you possess
plus your KOM to a target creature within [Close] range as a standard action. A successful will save(DC 10 + ½ level + your KOM) halves this damage.
At 4th circle, you can activate this ability as a swift action once per [Round], in addition to activating it as a standard action.
Eldritch glaive - As a swift action or part of a swift action, you can form a melee weapon out of eldritch energy. This weapon has the [Arcane] property and three other weapon properties of your choice other than [Elemental], and is a Lesser item of your design with enchantments as normal for a magic weapon of its type (see Chapter XIII). These choices are permanent. This weapon, called your Eldritch glaive, does not count against your normal limit of attuned magic items. When you gain your 4th circle in Warlock, redesign this weapon as a Greater item, and when you gain your 6th circle, redesign it as a Relic. Though your Eldritch Glaive possesses the [Arcane] property, the weapon itself is a supernatural ability, and attacks with it benefit from magic weapon item bonuses to attack, magic item enchantments that trigger on a hit, and the [Brutal] property.

Circle 2- Eldritch infusion SU
- You gain access to your first three eldritch infusion, hellfire, black lightning, and eldritch shards.  You may choose to use an infusion with any use of your eldritch blast. If you have an eldritch glaive, you may choose a new infusion for it at the beginning of your turn. Infusions on the glaive count as effects that trigger on a hit for purposes of other abilities.
Hellfire- When using the hellfire infusion, all damage dealt by your eldritch blast is [Fire] damage, and all targets damaged by it start [Burning]
Eldritch shards- When using the eldritch shard infusion, all damage dealt by your eldritch blast is physical damage, and all targets damaged by it start [Bleeding]
Black lightning- when you use the Black lightning infusion, all damage dealt by your eldritch blast is [Electricity] damage and all targets damaged by it are [Shaken] for 1 [Round]. A successful will save (DC 10 + ½ level + KOM) negates this effect. A target can only be affected by this ability once per [Round]

Circle 3-Eldritch forms SU: Pick two of the following abilities.
Eldritch wave - As a standard action, you may create a wedge with a length of 10 ft plus 5 ft per 2 character levels you possess originating from you that deals 1d6 magic damage per character level you possess to all creatures in its area.  A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ level + your KOM) halves the damage. This is an eldritch blast form.
Eldritch spear- As a standard action, may deal 1d6 damage per level against a target within [Long] range. This requires a successful ranged attack. This is an eldritch blast form.
Eldritch aura- Once per [Round], when you damage an enemy with your eldritch blast, you may also subject all opponents within [Melee] range to the infusion applied to that blast as if they were damaged by your eldritch blast.

Circle 4- Eldritch powers: You can access to three more eldritch infusions, dark force, vitrol, and flashfrost.
Vitrol- When you use the vitrol infusion, all damage dealt by your eldritch blast is [Acid] damage, and all targets damaged by it are [Sickened] for 1 [Round].

Dark force- When you use the dark force infusion, all damage dealt by your eldritch blast is [Force] damage, and targets damaged by it are [Blown away] from you, or the target square of the eldritch blast, if applicable. A successful fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ level + KOM) negates this effect. A creature can only be affected by this ability once per [Round].

Flashfrost-
when you use the flashfrost infusions, all damage dealt by your eldritch blast is [Cold] damage and all targets damaged by it are [Slowed] for 1 [Round]. A successful fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ level + KOM) negates this effect. A target can only be affected by this ability once per [Round]

Circle 5- Eldritch lore:  choose one of the following abilities
Eldritch chain- You can access to the eltrich chain form for your eldritch blast. As a standard action, you may deal 1d6 magic damage per level to a target within [Close] range. A successful will save(DC 10 + ½ level + KOM) halves the damage. This deals half damage to all other opponents within [Close] range of that target.
Dual Glaive- You may switch the infusion for your eldritch glaive once per [Round] as a free action. You must have taken the eldritch glaive option to select this.

Circle 6- Eldritch pacts- You gain access to two more eldritch infusions. You may use one of these once per [Encounter]
   Eldritch Surge- When using the eldritch surge infusion, all damage dealt by your eldritch blast is [Negative] damage, and all targets damaged by it take an additional 4 damage per level and are [Battered]. This is a [Death] attack, and can only affect a given target once per [Round].
   Eldritch Control- When using the eldritch control infusion, all targets damaged by your eldritch blast are [Stunned] for 1 [Round]. A successful will save (DC 10 + ½ level + KOM) negates this effect. This can  and can only affect a given target once per [Round]

Circle 7- Eldritch Mastery-
You may use 2 eldritch infusions on each eldritch blast.
       You also get one of the following abilities
   Eldritch Storm- You can access the eldritch storm form for your eldritch blast. Create a spread extending out to your [Close] range. All opponents in the spread take 1d6 magic damage per level. A successful will save(DC 10 + ½ level + KOM) halves the damage.
       Eldritch Taint- As a move action, you can create a spread within [Medium] range with a radius of 50ft that lasts until the end of the [Encounter]. Opponents that end their turn inside the spread take 2x your level in damage. This is a eldritch blast form. You cannot apply the eldritch surge or eldritch control infusions to this blast.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:34:52 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Warlock
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 09:19:10 PM »
I really like this. Seems like it would fit alongside Just Blade and Arcane Lore in Sage's Wrath.

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 05:29:32 AM »
Eldritch Glaive is superfluous; it doesn't work with literally half the circles. It is, in essence, "use magic to make opportunity attacks." When you start getting those nifty at-will forms, making attack actions loses 100% of its relevancy. Yeah, scaling item is nice, sure, but it's not nearly as nice as being able to do Eldritch Burst as a swift and something else relevant as your standard.

Other than that, this looks pretty good overall.
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »
Eldritch Glaive is superfluous; it doesn't work with literally half the circles. It is, in essence, "use magic to make opportunity attacks." When you start getting those nifty at-will forms, making attack actions loses 100% of its relevancy. Yeah, scaling item is nice, sure, but it's not nearly as nice as being able to do Eldritch Burst as a swift and something else relevant as your standard.

Other than that, this looks pretty good overall.
Yeah, I know. People really wanted an eldritch glaive though. I think the issue is more that you are getting a ton of forms after that which you won't use because you are built for melee rather than the glaive becoming obsolete. I just haven't figured out what to do to address the issue.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »
Could C5 have some sort of Cleave/Whirlwind type alternate option for Glaive builds? Maybe C7 could have an alternate ability that damages all opponents in [Melee] range, but has a lower action cost?
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 12:02:44 PM »
ok, I added some more options at 3, 5, and 7 to help out glaives.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 01:05:29 PM »
I really, really like Eldritch Aura. That's awesome. Eldritch Taint is pretty solid too. Dual Glaive doesn't wow me but I recognize that it's mechanically useful. Thanks for the added options, I think they really shore up the Glaive side of things.

My homebrew.

Zaq

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
Do you get to use both of the C6 abilities each [Enc], or does using one preclude the use of the other? The wording indicates the latter, but it's written in a way that makes me question its intent.

For C4, the "a creature may only be affected by this ability once per [Round]" language seems intended to make the status effect only trigger once, but as written, I can see an interpretation that would prevent the damage from happening more than once, or at least that would prevent the damage typing from applying to more than one instance of damage. Any way to clean up the wording to prevent that interpretation?

How would Evasion/Hard to Break-style abilities work with an EB that involves both a save for the base damage and a save for the rider? Could Hard to Break negate the damage if you fail the initial save but succeed against, say, Dark Force?

Is there a reason that Glaive is affected by [Brutal] but not [Magnum]?
I do verb now and again, but gerunding is my real passion.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 06:16:17 PM »
Do you get to use both of the C6 abilities each [Enc], or does using one preclude the use of the other? The wording indicates the latter, but it's written in a way that makes me question its intent.
The latter
For C4, the "a creature may only be affected by this ability once per [Round]" language seems intended to make the status effect only trigger once, but as written, I can see an interpretation that would prevent the damage from happening more than once, or at least that would prevent the damage typing from applying to more than one instance of damage. Any way to clean up the wording to prevent that interpretation?
The damage typing always occurs, as that is affecting the eldritch blast, not the target. The conditions and extra damage will only apply once.
How would Evasion/Hard to Break-style abilities work with an EB that involves both a save for the base damage and a save for the rider? Could Hard to Break negate the damage if you fail the initial save but succeed against, say, Dark Force?
The infusion is a separate effect, and so you can't use evasion/hard to break on the infusions to negate the base damage.
Is there a reason that Glaive is affected by [Brutal] but not [Magnum]?
I just copied grim heritor's wording. That isn't actually a prescriptive text, it is just clarifying that the weapon itself is su, and hence benefits from all of the arcane bonuses, unlike a normal arcane weapon which loses those things when attacked with.

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 04:06:44 AM »
Wow, not commenting on balance after just giving this a glance but I'll love to use this refluffed as a non-specialized Elementalist. It shouldn't come as a surprise that I have been looking for something like this for a while if you know my Diverse Elementalist feat.
I suppose the only fluff problem would be the dependance on Will saves. *shrug*

Typo: Circle 4- Eldritch powers: You can access to three more eldritch infusions, dark force, vitrol, and flashfrost.

Saving against an infusion only negates the conditions and similar things, not the damage conversion, correct? "Negates this effect" is a bit ambiguous.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 08:24:50 AM »
Would the track be borked if you simply switched everything to Reflex saves for the non-specialized Elementalist?

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 11:35:49 AM »
This track is based around at-will versatility, part of which is the ability to target weak saves. Boxing them into reflex only will weaken them.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »
Is Reflex a significantly stronger save in Legend? I admit I haven't run the numbers but I got the impression that the saves were more balanced across Legend as opposed to most systems, given the way ability scores work.

My homebrew.

markl

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »
That's right, but a given opponent still only has one weak save. So being able to target any save - instead of only Reflex - is an advantage.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »
Overall, any given save is probably on par with the others. However, that is not true against any given opponent, so having the flexibility to target a weaker save is a distinct advantage. Especially if an opponent has a really good save, such as fighting against an acrobatic adept