Author Topic: Creature from beyond reality[WIP]  (Read 3319 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Creature from beyond reality[WIP]
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »
This creature comes from beyond conventional reality, and its very presence causes it to break down

Circle 1- Twisted Presence:  You may select one of the following fluctuations per circle of this track you possess. Each fluctuation may be activated once per [Encounter] as a free action, and you may only activate one fluctuation per [Round].
Difficult terrain: The area around you becomes hard to traverse- the air thickens, the ground melts into a goo,random appengages form out of nearby surfaces, etc. Create a 30ft spread that lasts for 1 [Round]. The area is considered difficult terrain, even for creatures that are [Flying] or [Swimming]
Swim through the ground: You lose the [Flying] and [Burrowing] conditions if you had either and gain the [Swimming] condition for 1 [Round], even if you are not in liquid.
Sight beyond space: You gain [Tremorsense] out to [Close] range for 1 [Round], and can image the area as a free action.
Questionable presence: Attacks against you have a 20% [Miss chance] for 1 [Round]
XXX
XXX
XXX

Circle 2- Aura of Instability:  Your very presence is anathema to common sense. Choose one of the following abilities:
Aura of Fear: The first time each [Round] than a creature moves within your [Close] range or starts their turn within your [Close] Range, they [Shaken] for one [Round]. A successful will save (DC 10+½ level + KDM) negates the [Shaken] effect and makes them immune to this effect for the [Encounter]. This is a [Mind affecting] effect
Aura of Insanity: As a move action, you create as spread with a radius of your [Close] range originating from you. Opponents in it are be [Confused] for one [Round]. A successful will save (DC 10+½ level + KDM) negates this effect.  Each opponent may only be affected by this ability once per [Encounter]. This is a [Mind affecting] effect

Circle 3- antireal mind: You are [Immune] to [Confusion], and  the DC of social skill checks made against you increases by 3

Circle 4- Fluctuations of reality: Reality  breaks down around you. You may select one of the following fluctuations per circle of this track you possess past 3nd. Each fluctuation may be activated once per [Encounter] as a free action, and you may only activate one fluctuation per [Round].
Horrid appendage: You may make melee attacks at [Close] range.You may make
melee attacks against [Flying] creatures when you are not [Flying]. When you hit a creature with a melee attack, it may not be affected by [Teleport] effects for 1 [Round]. This lasts for 1 [Round]
Broken space: All movement you make for 1 [Round] has the [Teleport] descriptor
Nonpresence: You are [Invisible] for 1 [Round]
Unreal Durability: You gain [Lesser resistance] to all damage for 1 [Round]

Circle 5- Eldritch mind-:[Immunity] to effects with the [Mind affecting] descriptor

Circle 6- Unreal reality: Choose one of the fluctuations from fluctuations of reality that you possess. This becomes permanent, and does not count against the number of active fluctuations per [Round]. You may also use 1 fluctuation from Twisted Presence each [Round] without counting against the number of active fluctuations you have.

Circle 7- Counter reality: Your presence causes things to twist and decay. When an opponent begins their turn within your [Melee] range, it takes damage equal to your level+ your KOM and is [Sickened] for 2 [Rounds]

old version
Circle 1- Aura of Instability:  Your very presence is anathema to common sense. Choose one of the following abilities:
Aura of Fear: The first time each [Round] than a creature moves within your [Close] range or starts their turn within your [Close] Range, they [Shaken] for one [Round]. A successful will save (DC 10+½ level + KDM) negates the [Shaken] effect and makes them immune to this effect for the [Encounter]. This is a [Mind affecting] effect
Aura of Insanity: As a move action, you create as spread with a radius of your [Close] range originating from you. Opponents in it are be [Confused] for one [Round]. A successful will save (DC 10+½ level + KDM) negates this effect.  Each opponent may only be affected by this ability once per [Encounter]. This is a [Mind affecting] effect

Circle 2- Alien mind:  The DC to use bluff, intimidate, perception or diplomacy against you increases by 3.

Circle 3-  Intensified aura: You may amplify your reality breaking presence, focusing it on the mind of one opponent. You gain one of the following abilities, based on which option you took for your aura of instability.
Aura of fear: Once per [Encounter] as a swift action, one opponent within [Close] range  is [Shaken] for the [Encounter]. A successful will save (DC 10+½ level + KDM) negates this effect. This is a [Mind-affecting] effect
Aura of Insanity: Once per [Encounter] as a swift action, one opponent within [Close] range is [Confused] for  2 [Rounds]. A successful will save (DC 10+½ level + KDM) negates this effect. This is a [Mind-affecting] effect

Circle 4- Fluctuations of reality: Reality  breaks down around you. You may select one of the following fluctuations per circle of this track you possess past 3nd. Each fluctuation may be activated once per [Encounter] as a free action, and you may only activate one fluctuation per [Round].
Horrid appendage: You may make melee attacks at [Close] range.You may make
melee attacks against [Flying] creatures when you are not [Flying]. When you hit a creature with a melee attack, it may not be affected by [Teleport] effects for 1 [Round]. This lasts for 1 [Round]
Broken space: All movement you make for 1 [Round] has the [Teleport] descriptor
Nonpresence: You are [Invisible] for 1 [Round]
Unreal Durability: You gain [Lesser resistance] to all damage for 1 [Round]

Circle 5- Eldritch mind-:[Immunity] to effects with the [Mind affecting] descriptor

Circle 6- Unreal reality: Choose one of the fluctuations from fluctuations of reality that you possess. This becomes permanent, and does not count against the number of active fluctuations per [Round]

Circle 7- Counter reality: Your presence causes things to twist and decay. When an opponent begins their turn within your [Melee] range, it takes damage equal to your level+ your KOM and is [Sickened] for 2 [Rounds]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:06:59 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Hedonismbot

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Creature from beyond reality
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »
I really like Fluctuations. It feels like the kind of ability that should be defining for the track, especially given the "Horrible monster that breaks reality just by existing" theme, since it feels the most like that of pretty much any ability I've ever seen in a D20 game. Have you considered giving it earlier with less available fluctuations, and having more be added at later circles?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:57:51 PM »
Hmm. Yeah, if I split up the fluctuations into different circles, then I could put some lower power ones in the bottom. I actually had that circle at 3rd, then decided its effects were too strong and I couldn't come up with another ability, so I bumped it up to 4th.

I'll toy around with the lower circles to get something like that in.

Hedonismbot

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 08:31:07 PM »
Since the idea is that reality itself is breaking down, have you considered fluctuations that effect others, or effect the battlefield? Like, make all damage (For both enemies and allies) turn into healing for a round, or cause anyone who tries to move to travel in a random direction, or make everyone's AC zero for a round, or you can apply a type of Unusual Terrain to the map for a round.

I dunno if any of those are actually a good idea or balanced or not, I'm not good at homebrew yet, but I think they illustrate the idea.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 08:33:03 PM »
I have been toying with some battlefield effects for the new set.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Creature from beyond reality[WIP]
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 05:59:28 PM »
WIP version
I need more lv1 fluctuations
I also don't like how the auras are next to each other now, so that will change.

SatoruMasamune

• Mook
  • "You want to buy 16 shovels!?" "2 for each of us!"
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 07:45:27 PM »
Swapping the 3rd and 4th circles would fit a bit better.
"I flex my pecs at the skeletons! (turn undead)" *nat 20* "...the skeletons are so awed by your mighty muscles that they dissolve into piles of dust." "WOOO!! Cleric/Monk is the best multi-class EVER!! =D"

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:05:45 PM »
I don't think 4th is weak enough for 3rd

SatoruMasamune

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 03:52:43 AM »
If it kept all 4 fluctuations, yeah, it would be too strong. But if you started it at 1 or 2, and then add the others at later circles, it would balance okay, IMO.
"I flex my pecs at the skeletons! (turn undead)" *nat 20* "...the skeletons are so awed by your mighty muscles that they dissolve into piles of dust." "WOOO!! Cleric/Monk is the best multi-class EVER!! =D"

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 10:36:23 AM »
That is what it does, you start with 1 and gain a new one each circle after that.

SatoruMasamune

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 05:16:49 PM »
I meant specify which fluctuations you got at which circles instead of letting the player choose, that way you don't end up with damage resistance right off the bat.

I probably should have worded it better. =P

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »
That isn't really the issue. The fluctuations are meant to be balanced against each other within the circle. Its also how the power scales with level. I feel like those effects are too strong to start tossing around from 3rd.