Author Topic: Boombox  (Read 2999 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Boombox
« on: March 21, 2014, 07:04:04 PM »
You emit sound. It does many interesting things to those around you

Circle 1- Subwoofer SU
You emit a low, but powerful, blast of sound which damaged those who stand too close. As a standard  action, you may create a 5 ft radius spread originating from you, dealing damage equal to 1d6 per level plus your KOM to opponents within the area. The radius increases to 10 ft at 5th level, and to your [Close] range at 10th level. A successful fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 level +KOM) halves the damage

Circle 2 - Confusing Blast SU
   You emit a blast of hypersonic noise, causing confusion in those who hear it.
As a standard action, you may create a cone with a length of 10ft plus 5ft per circle of this track originating from you. All opponents within the area are [Confused] for 2 [Rounds]. A successful will save  (DC 10+½ level+KOM) negates this effect. This is a [Mind affecting] effect, and creatures who are [Deafened] are [Immune] to this effect.

Circle 3 - Sonic Hammer SU:
   You emit ear-shattering blast of sound focused on a single target. As a standard action, one opponent within [Close] range takes 1d10 damage per level, is [Deafened] for 2 [Rounds] and [Blown away]. A successful fortitude save (DC 10+½ level+KOM) halves the damage and negates the [Blown away] condition.
Echolocation SU: You gain [Tremorsense] out to [Close] range

Circle 4- Sickening Whine SU:  You emit  a high-pitched whine just on the edge of hearing that drives people around you nuts. At the start of your turn, opponents within [Close] range take your KOM in damage and are [Sickened]. A successful fortitude save (DC 10+½ level+KOM) negates this effect. Creatures who are [Deafened] are [Immune] to this effect.

Circle 5 - Stereo SU:  You emit two separate sounds which harmonize together. As a standard action you may target 2 opponents within [Close] range. They each take 1d8 damage per level and are [Deafened] until the end of the [Encounter], then you may move them each up to 30ft towards the other. A successful fortitude save halves the damage and the movement.
Surround Sound SU: You emit a rich, deep sound that envelops you and deflects attacks. Attacks against you have a 20% [Miss chance].

Circle 6- Drop the Bass SU: You emit a chaotic cacophony of noises that is anathema to all that is living. As a standard action, you may create a spread originating from you out to your [Close] range. All opponents in it are [Energy drained] 2 times. Creatures who are [Deafened] are [Immune] to this effect.

Circle 7- Up to Eleven SU: You emit the loudest sound anyone has heard, the pressure of which causes massive destruction. Once per [Encounter], as a standard action, you may create a spread with a radius equal to your [Medium] range originating from you, dealing 6 damage per level and applying the [Deafened] and [Fatigued] condition to all opponents in the spread until the end of the [Encounter]. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage. This is a [Death] ability.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 09:30:46 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Boombox
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »
Sonic Hammer doesn't have an action cost, and Up to Eleven has no duration listed for [Deafened]. otherwise looks good.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:31:07 PM by Grue »

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 07:50:32 PM »
now Sonic Hammer has no duration for [Deafened]. probably didn't before, but i didn't notice it until now.

Mephest

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »
This is more just a question for my own purposes, what makes these abilities balanced as standard actions, but elementalists are balanced at [encounter]? I trust you, just honestly want to understand the balancing system better

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 02:03:19 PM »
There are a couple of things. For one, these are supernatural abilities, which limits their combinations with things like just blade, which helps it from getting out of hand. For another, these abilities tend to be weaker than elementalist abilities of the same circle. Subwoofer requires you to be right up in the thick of things, while an elemental burst can be done from a safe distance, for instance. At higher levels this flips, as it extends to [close], but by that time an elementalist can throw their burst as a swift, with rider conditions, alongside their other abilities, while this is going to be in conflict with their other abilities.
Another major factor is that some of its abilities run counter to each other. For instance, the higher end damage abilities inflict deafended, while the debuffs don't work on deafened people. Another factor is that they aren't as useful to spam. Confusing blast isn't dealing damage, so doign more than tossing it out a couple of times is not that useful; unless enemies are making their saves against it, but in that case your action is going entirely to waste, as it has no partial effect, and you would be better with something else. Sonic hammer knocks out your debuffs, and while it hits decently hard against one guy, its still not going to hold a candle to someone more dedicated to damage. Sickening whine gives a passive but minor debuff, which also helps discourage immediate usage of the damaging abilities. the main one that is useful for spamming is the 6th, but most sources of energy drain at that point are on top of damage, so you still end up with the option of applying debuffs, then switching over to moderate damage abilities. The 7th circle is limited to one per encounter, but its use of deafened also means that you want to hold off on triggering it until later, which works against a tendency for them to nova.

Mephest

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »
Alright, thanks a lot Myst!

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:24:41 AM »
Sorry to thread necro, but I just realized C7 doesn't have an action cost listed. I assume Standard?
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 05:46:25 PM »
Yes, standard