Author Topic: Dragonspark adept  (Read 3826 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Dragonspark adept
« on: May 21, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
When you select this track, choose the [Acid], [Cold], [Electricity], or [Fire] descriptor. All abilities from this track carry that descriptor. All damage dealt by abilities from this track is energy damage with the chosen descriptor.

Circle 1- Breath of the Dragon SU: Once per [Round], as a move action, you may create  wedge with a length up to 10ft originating from you, dealing damage equal to twice your character level plus your KOM to all creatures within the area.  This maximum length increases by 5ft every 2 levels you have. A successful reflex save (DC 10 + ½ you level + your KOM) halves this damage.

Circle 2- Elemental scales SU: you gain [Resistance] to your chosen descriptor. when you gain your 6th circle if Dragonspark adept, you gain [Immunity] to your chosen descriptor.

Circle 3- Burninate SU: Once every two [Rounds], you may sacrifice attacks in an attack action to increase the damage from breath of the dragon if you use it in the current [Round], up to a maximum of 1 per 5 levels you possess. Each sacrificed attack increases the damage by 2 per circle of this track you possess  and the length of the wedge by 5ft.

Circle 4 - Draconic Presence SU: The first time each opponent enters your [Melee] range in an [Encounter], you may choose to give that opponent a terrifying gaze that causes that opponent to become [Shaken] until the end of the [Encounter]. A successful Will save (DC 10 + ½ your level + your Key Offensive Modifier) negates the [Shaken] condition.

Circle 5- Dragonspark SU:  Every [Round], at the start of your turn you gain a Dragonspark. You may have a maximum number of Dragonsparks equal to the circles you have in this track. You start an encounter with 0 Dragonsparks. When using Breath of the Dragon, you may spend a number of Dragonsparks to get the associated effect for that use of the ability:
1 Dragonspark: Opponents who fail their save vs.Breath of the Dragon are [Battered] for 2 [Rounds]
2 Dragonspark: Opponents who fail their save vs.Breath of the Dragon are [Blinded] for 1 [Round]
3 Dragonspark: Opponents who fail their save vs.Breath of the Dragon are [Slowed] for 1 [Round]
4 Dragonsparks: Opponents who fail their save vs.Breath of the Dragon are [Nauseated] for 1 [Round]
5 Dragonsparks: Opponents who fail their save vs.Breath of the Dragon are [Stunned] for 1 [Round]
You may use this ability multiple times to get multiple conditions, paying the Dragonsparks for each.

Circle 6- Dragonheartburn EX: The heart of a dragon burns within your chest. You gain [Fast healing] equal to your level and [Immunity] to [Fear] and the in-combat use of intimidate.

Circle 7- Draining breath SU: Opponents who fail their save vs. Breath of the Dragon are [Energy drained] 1 time per Dragonspark spent.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:45:35 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dragonspark adept
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
I like C3.
Any particular reason C4 is phrased differently from Destruction's C4?
C5 switches between dragonspark and dragonember. It's... a very interesting comparison to Serpent C5, given the different ways they activate, but it should be balanced. If anything, it might be a little weaker than Serpent C5 (but probably evenly balanced).
C6 is DotD C2 plus part of Vampire C6... alright,  that should be balanced.

It was fun picking through this track and figuring out where many of the pieces come from. Good flavor, something I don't really think the game already had, clear role on a character, I dig it. Nicely done.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:45:40 PM »
Any particular reason C4 is phrased differently from Destruction's C4?
Because its phrased like mummy's C4

C5 switches between dragonspark and dragonember. It's... a very interesting comparison to Serpent C5, given the different ways they activate, but it should be balanced. If anything, it might be a little weaker than Serpent C5 (but probably evenly balanced).
whoops, I thought I fixed that.

It was fun picking through this track and figuring out where many of the pieces come from. Good flavor, something I don't really think the game already had, clear role on a character, I dig it. Nicely done.
Thank you, I am glad you like it.

Regitnui

• Elite
  • Father of the Four
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 03:40:04 AM »
This is the other half of the D&D Dragon, isn't it? Frightful Presence, Breath Weapon, Elemental Resistance. Take Dragon, this and Spellcasting (either) and all you have to do is paint it the right colour. Very nice.
Sebrica - The House of Corners
A Homebrew Campaign Setting

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 09:37:43 AM »
This is the other half of the D&D Dragon, isn't it? Frightful Presence, Breath Weapon, Elemental Resistance. Take Dragon, this and Spellcasting (either) and all you have to do is paint it the right colour. Very nice.
That was definitely one intended use for this. It can also be used for a dragonfire adept type class, where you just have a breath weapon because reasons.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 09:52:27 AM »
That was definitely one intended use for this. It can also be used for a dragonfire adept type class, where you just have a breath weapon because reasons.

I read it as Dragonfire Adept the first time, but yeah, that is a nice option to have.

Mix it with some aura-type tracks (Bastion+Shaman Spells maybe?) and you could probably emulate a Dragon Shaman fairly well, too.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 02:05:02 PM »
C6 feels weak to me.  It's a combination of a C2 and a C4 ... Is there a precedent that indicates whether that's the right power level?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 02:38:25 PM »
C6 feels weak to me.  It's a combination of a C2 and a C4 ... Is there a precedent that indicates whether that's the right power level?

Its a combination of half of utter brute C6 and C5, with intimidate thrown in. (Immunity to [Fear] as half of c6, fast healing equal to level as half of c5).
It does err on the weaker side, but that is intentional as I think the rest of the track is rather strong.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »
Fair enough.

I do love the idea of making a single track that covers both "the other half of D&D dragons" and "humanoid disciples of all things dragon-ish."  Elegant.

I might reword Burninate a bit:
When you take an attack action, if you did not use this ability the previous [Round], you may forego attacks in that attack action, up to a maximum of 1 per 5 levels you possess. If you do, then each sacrificed attack increases the damage and range of any Breath of the Dragon ability you use in the same [Round]. For each sacrificed attack, add 2 damage per circle of this track you possess and 5 ft to the length of the wedge.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 05:12:35 PM »
Also, it occurs to me that the flavor ends up a little weird if you try to optimize this track (especially on a build that also has Dragon).

This track wants to spend its move actions breathing, and at least half of its standard actions making attack actions (or all of them if they also have Dragon).

That means that it's either going to be an archer-style build, or have a lot of mobility abilities that work on swift, free, or non-actions.

Archer is a very strange flavor for this track, especially if it also has Dragon (Sophisticated/[Thrown] natural weapons notwithstanding).

Fortunately, there are lots of non-move-action mobility options in Legend.  Exit Stage Left, The Terrible Swift Lash, Dancing/[Reacting] weapons, Simple Icons, Esoterica Radica, Ten Ninjas/Crane at high levels, Chirurgic Poet, an ally with Chirurgic Poet, or an ally with Arcane Lore.  Etc.  But still ... it feels just a bit restrictive.  And some mythological dragons are supposed to be kind of slow and lumbering.

All of this is really just a quibble.  But ... maybe it's worth thinking about if the Breath of the Dragon should be a swift action instead of a move action?  (Or can be activated as either one, but still only 1/[Round]?)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »
It wants to spend its move actions breathing, yes, but it also needs to be in position to hit things with a fairly short cone. Esp at low levels, hitting things with a 10ft cone will put you in melee anyways, and even later on you won't want to drift too far away. You do need another use for standard actions, but it doesn't have to be attacks, though it is intentionally designed to mix with them. You could mix it with elementalist, for instance, and use it to stretch your limited use abilities. 
Archer also adds challenges, as your allies can't stand in front of you without complications, so you would want to be a front-liner without other investments. Plus, the fear aura is just begging you to charge in. Speaking of which, charge can be a good way to maneuver around without spending your move actions, esp at low levels before you have had a chance to invest in other mobility.

Getting non-move mobility would be a great help to this track, as by default you need to stand still to use its cone, but that is an intentional tradeoff, for several reasons. Fluffwise, I like the picture of them stopping and breathing in for a blast of flame, esp. with burninate for an impressive wall of flame. Plus, you don't see dragons spewing out constant walls of flame, but rather doing occasional blasts, which the dragonsparks and burninate are meant to encourage. Balancewise, I based it on earthspike and high end gust. earthspike is a nice ability and you use it when you can, but you don't stress about getting it out every possible round. With dragonsparks and burninate, you can make it count for more when you do use it, and off-rounds are less significant.