Author Topic: Envested  (Read 3033 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Envested
« on: June 20, 2014, 07:09:43 PM »
Envested
10 hp/level
KOM STR
KDM CON
choose any 2 saves to be your good saves
5 skills
good BaB
The Envested have obtained the use of a set of powerful items which give them powerful abilities.

Envested Abolition
You have been entrusted with a weapon of great renown
1st Circle- Abolition EX:As a swift action, or part of another swift action, you may summon a melee or ranged weapon of your choice to your hand. This weapon has three weapon properties of your choice, and is a Lesser item of your design with enchantments as normal for a magic weapon of its type (see Chapter XIII). These choices are permanent. This weapon, called your Abolition, does not count against your normal limit of attuned magic items. When you gain your 4th circle in Envested Abolition, redesign this weapon as a Greater item, and when you gain your 6th circle, redesign it as a Relic.  While wielding your Abolition, you count as having a Good Base Attack Bonus (equal to your level). You may only have a single Abolition in existence at a time, and may cause it to disappear as a free action.

2nd Circle-Empowerment EX: As a free action, you may cause all attacks made with your Abolition to deal additional damage equal to half your level. Choose [Fire],[Cold],[Electricity], or [Acid] damage when activating this ability; the extra damage has this descriptor. This is an [Arming] effect

3rd Circle- Swift Destruction EX:  You can take a [Bonus attack] whenever you take an attack action. Once per [Round], you may move 5ft without provoking an attack of opportunity, even if it is not your turn, but you cannot interrupt other character’s actions.

4th Circle- Encircling Might EX: As a free action, you may apply an [Arming] effect to Abolition that cause an opponent to be [Slowed] for 1 [Round] the first time they are struck with Abolition in a [Round]. A successful fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ level + KOM) leaves the opponent [Entangled] for 1 [Round] instead.

5th Circle- Glory Incarnate EX:
 You cain the following abilities. You may use one of them once per [Round]
Penetrating Abandon: If you would make one or more ranged attacks during your standard action, you may add the [Volley] descriptor to a single one of those attacks; this attack with the [Volley] descriptor is applied against all opponents in a line with a length equal to your [Medium] range.
Debilitating blow: You may replace one attack from your attack action made with your Abolition with the Bull Rush, Disarm, or Trip combat maneuver. The Disarm and Trip combat maneuvers are made with the same attack bonus as the replaced attack.

6th Circle- Doombringer EX: As a free action, you may apply an [Arming] effect to Abolition that causes an opponent to be [Energy Drained] the first time they are hit with Abolition in a [Round]. A successful will save (DC 10+½ level+KOM) instead inflicts [Shaken] for 1 [Round]

7th Circle- Abolishment of All Things EX: All damage dealt  by attacks made with abolition ignores[Immunity] and cannot be mitigated, reduced, or redirected by other abilities or effects.

Envested Aegis
You have been granted the use of a revolutionary new shield
1st Circle- Aegis EX: A shield irises into your arm at the first hint of danger .This is a Lesser item of your design with enchantments as normal for magic shield of its tier (see Chapter XIII), but does not count against your normal limit of attuned magic items. When you gain your 4th circle in Envested Aegis redesign this shield as a Greater item, and when you gain your 6th circle, redesign it as a Relic. In addition, any weapon you wield gains the [Guardian] property

2nd Circle- Bash EX: As a move action, you may deal damage equal to your level plus your KOM to up to one opponent per circle of this track you have within your [melee] range. At 10th level, this may be within your [Close] range. Opponents damaged by this ability are [Dazzled] for 1 [Round].

3rd Circle- Recoil EX: For each opponent, the first time each [Round] that opponent hits you with a melee attack, that opponent takes 1 point of damage per level you possess.

4th Circle - Energy Reflection EX: You may use one of the following abilities once per [Encounter]
Redirection EX: As an immediate action after being missed by a ranged attack, or an ability that requires a ranged attack roll, you may make a ranged attack roll against an opponent within [Close] range. If it hits, that opponent is subjected to the attack or ability that missed you.
Blowback EX: As an immediate action after being hit by a melee attack, you may cause your opponent to be [Blown away] and drop their weapon as if disarmed. A fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ your level + KDM) negates this effect.

5th Circle-Dweamerguard EX:Once per [Encounter], if you make a successful saving throw against an offensive action that would normally have a lesser effect on a successful save, you instead ignore the effect entirely

6th Circle-Dazing bash EX: Twice per [Encounter], after damaging an opponent with Bash, you may spend a swift action [Daze] that opponent. A successful fortitude save (DC 10+½ level + KDM) negates this effect.

7th Circle-Preemptive Blockade EX: You are constantly under the effects of Foresight, except you cannot take 20 on your d20 roll.

Envested Bulwark
You have received a boon in the form of formidable armor at your beck and call
1st circle- Bulwark EX:With a dramatic gesture and shouted command, a suit of incredible armor snaps into existence and covers your body. This provides a +2 item bonus to Vigor, and is a Lesser item of your design with enchantments as normal for magic armor of its tier (see Chapter XIII), but does not count against your normal limit of attuned magic items. When you gain your 4th circle in Envested Bulwark redesign this armor as a Greater item, and when you gain your 6th circle, redesign it as a Relic.

2nd Circle-Aggrandized armor EX: Your armor enhances your physical prowess. Your speed increases by 10ft and you gain a bonus to your maximum hit points equal to your level. Once per [Encounter], as a free action, you may increase your speed by 10ft per circle of this track you posses for 1 [Round]

3rd Circle-Thrusters EX: You gain the Fly movement mode

4th Circle – Mitigation EX: Select one of the following abilities (this choice is permanent):
Cold Iron Plating: You gain [Resistance] to energy and magic damage.
Adamant Plating: You gain [Resistance] to physical damage.

5th Circle- Active Camo EX: You are always [Concealed], and if another ability would make you [Concealed] you are instead [Fully Concealed]

6th Circle- Soul Shield EX: You gain [Immunity] to [Paralyzed], [Stunned], [Dazed], [Nauseated], and [Slowed].

7th Circle – Adamant defense EX: Once per [Encounter], as a swift action, you can begin an unbreakable defense. Until the beginning of your next turn, you gain [Immunity] to damage, [Binding] effects, and if you would be moved as the result of an offensive action an opponent takes, you may choose not to move instead.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:55:25 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Envested
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 11:03:30 PM »
These are great. Not only are they great, they're especially great for NPC building. Nice.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Zaq

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 05:41:10 PM »
Abolition:

C1: Nifty. It's slightly weaker than Just Blade in that it doesn't give you "weapliment" status (simultaneously being [Arcane] and non-[Arcane]), but Just Blade needs to be a weapliment, and this doesn't.

C2, C3: I like it.

C4: No duration, either on the [Arming] effect or on the conditions it inflicts. Does this last until you turn it off, or for one [Round]? How long does the [Slowed] last, or the [Entangled]? If someone is already [Slowed] by it, do they have to make another save if they're hit in a subsequent [Round]? If so, isn't it weird that they then want to fail the save (because they can't be more [Slowed] than they already are, but they can also become [Entangled])?

C5: I want to assume that the combat maneuvers enabled by Debilitating Blow are made in melee, but I think a little clarifying language to that effect really wouldn't hurt. (If you're envisioning them working at range, then some clarifying language DEFINITELY wouldn't hurt.)

C6: This seems stronger than Reign of Arrows C7, or at least on par with it. RoA C7 can apply multiple layers of [Energy drained], it's true, but it has a much higher action cost. Do you feel like it's balanced as a C6, considering how close it is to a C7 effect?

C7: Hella powerful, but it's C7, so it should be.

Aegis:

C1: The way this is worded, the weapon becomes a shield, which doesn't make sense. Just put the "you get a shield" part in a separate sentence from the "your weapon gains [Guardian]" part, and that will probably make it clearer.

C2/C3: Looks good to me.

C4: Can Blowback interrupt the hit, or do you still have to suffer all the effects of being hit before it resolves?

C5: Nifty.

C6: I'm leery of a C6 that only works once per [Encounter] and can be wholly negated with a single save. Seems like there's a distressingly high chance that this will simply be negated, and then your C6 is useless. I say either give it a partial effect on a successful save, or say that the action is burned but the ability is still usable if they successfully save.

C7: Appropriate. Cool deal. Language clarifying "as the spell" would probably be a good idea, but it's still relatively clear what you mean.

Bulwark:

C1/C2/C3/C4: No complaints here.

C5: My first impulse was that this was too strong. My second impulse was that this was too weak. I'll assume that my impulses are both wrong and that this is probably fine.

C6: This is a heavy laundry list of [Immunities] for C6. It's about comparable to Judgment C7. Do you think this is appropriate for C6?

C7: [Immunity] to damn near everything for one [Round] is a classic defensive C7, so it looks good to me.

Overall, this looks good. Bulwark is pretty unobjectionable aside from C6, and even that just looks a hair overpowered. I think the wording on Abolition could use some cleanup in a lot of places, and I don't like that Aegis C6 can be just totally wasted with a single d20 roll. But overall, this seems solid.
I do verb now and again, but gerunding is my real passion.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 06:35:06 PM »
Abolition:

C1: Nifty. It's slightly weaker than Just Blade in that it doesn't give you "weapliment" status (simultaneously being [Arcane] and non-[Arcane]), but Just Blade needs to be a weapliment, and this doesn't.
yeah, I considered giving it a small bonus, but I couldn't settle on anything appropriate.

C4: No duration, either on the [Arming] effect or on the conditions it inflicts. Does this last until you turn it off, or for one [Round]? How long does the [Slowed] last, or the [Entangled]? If someone is already [Slowed] by it, do they have to make another save if they're hit in a subsequent [Round]? If so, isn't it weird that they then want to fail the save (because they can't be more [Slowed] than they already are, but they can also become [Entangled])?
Yeah, there is no duration on the arming effects, it just lasts until you apply a new arming effect. the slowed and entangled are supposed to be 1 round, so the multi-effect thing isn't realyl an issue. I guess it matters if you are already entangled from something else, but other effects do a lesser thing on a failed save.
C5: I want to assume that the combat maneuvers enabled by Debilitating Blow are made in melee, but I think a little clarifying language to that effect really wouldn't hurt. (If you're envisioning them working at range, then some clarifying language DEFINITELY wouldn't hurt.)
Its the exact same wording that skeleton uses
C6: This seems stronger than Reign of Arrows C7, or at least on par with it. RoA C7 can apply multiple layers of [Energy drained], it's true, but it has a much higher action cost. Do you feel like it's balanced as a C6, considering how close it is to a C7 effect?
The multiple levels of energy drained is a huge difference. being an arming effect also limits it.
C7: Hella powerful, but it's C7, so it should be.

Aegis:

C1: The way this is worded, the weapon becomes a shield, which doesn't make sense. Just put the "you get a shield" part in a separate sentence from the "your weapon gains [Guardian]" part, and that will probably make it clearer.
yeah, the wording got messed up there. I inseted the guardian property into the wrong spot.
C4: Can Blowback interrupt the hit, or do you still have to suffer all the effects of being hit before it resolves?
you still get hit
C6: I'm leery of a C6 that only works once per [Encounter] and can be wholly negated with a single save. Seems like there's a distressingly high chance that this will simply be negated, and then your C6 is useless. I say either give it a partial effect on a successful save, or say that the action is burned but the ability is still usable if they successfully save.
its dazed, though. Dazed is great.
C6: This is a heavy laundry list of [Immunities] for C6. It's about comparable to Judgment C7. Do you think this is appropriate for C6?
Its basically the fortress enchantment.

Overall, this looks good. Bulwark is pretty unobjectionable aside from C6, and even that just looks a hair overpowered. I think the wording on Abolition could use some cleanup in a lot of places, and I don't like that Aegis C6 can be just totally wasted with a single d20 roll. But overall, this seems solid.

Zaq

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 04:51:11 PM »
Compare Aegis C6 to Reign of Arrows C6, though. Both are basically "spend a swift action to tack a [Dazed] rider on an offensive action you were already taking," right? Aegis C6 is 1/[Enc], and RoA C6 is at will. Sure, RoA C6 requires a successful attack roll, but still, there's precedent for a C6 handing out [Dazed] more than 1/[Enc]. I don't think it's appropriate or necessary to make Aegis C6 at will, but I do think that there needs to be some kind of safeguard against it simply fizzling because of a single d20 roll. It's very un-Legend-y to allow a C6 to be 100% wasted with a single roll, don't you think? Just a consolation prize on a successful save would probably be enough, or else let you try to use it on subsequent [Rounds] (maybe only against other targets?). I can find exactly one other high-circle effect that has a single point of failure, and that's Vigilante C6 (which hinges on your attack roll, not on the enemy's saving throw). Everything else either works more than once (e.g., RoA), keeps trying until it works (e.g., Combat Alchemist), or has a partial effect on a successful save (e.g., Demo Man, Elementalist, Necromancer, Assassin).

You also might want to specify whether it's legal to take [Arcane] as one of your Abolition's properties, and if so, whether it eats one of the three properties or whether it's "free."
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 05:05:06 PM by Zaq »

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »
Compare Aegis C6 to Reign of Arrows C6, though. Both are basically "spend a swift action to tack a [Dazed] rider on an offensive action you were already taking," right? Aegis C6 is 1/[Enc], and RoA C6 is at will. Sure, RoA C6 requires a successful attack roll, but still, there's precedent for a C6 handing out [Dazed] more than 1/[Enc]. I don't think it's appropriate or necessary to make Aegis C6 at will, but I do think that there needs to be some kind of safeguard against it simply fizzling because of a single d20 roll. It's very un-Legend-y to allow a C6 to be 100% wasted with a single roll, don't you think? Just a consolation prize on a successful save would probably be enough, or else let you try to use it on subsequent [Rounds] (maybe only against other targets?). I can find exactly one other high-circle effect that has a single point of failure, and that's Vigilante C6 (which hinges on your attack roll, not on the enemy's saving throw). Everything else either works more than once (e.g., RoA), keeps trying until it works (e.g., Combat Alchemist), or has a partial effect on a successful save (e.g., Demo Man, Elementalist, Necromancer, Assassin).
I also think that the RoA C6 is one of the most powerful abilities in the game. At-will standard action denial is extremely strong. That single attack roll+save helps limit it alot, but still, I don't like the possibility of stun-locking someone because they have a weak save and low AC.
I guess I could bump it to 2/encounter

Zaq

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 01:56:41 PM »
I think just saying that a successful save leaves them, I dunno, [Fatigued] instead of [Dazed] would be enough to do it. No need to increase the use rate; just make sure that it takes more than a single d20 roll to shaft you out of your shiny new toy.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:35:03 PM by Zaq »

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 02:17:40 PM »
I think just saying that a successful save leaved them, I dunno, [Fatigued] instead of [Dazed] would be enough to do it. No need to increase the use rate; just make sure that it takes more than a single d20 roll to shaft you out of your shiny new toy.
its a single d20 roll that can shaft your opponent out of doing anything at all.