Author Topic: Energy Bodied  (Read 3701 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Energy Bodied
« on: July 01, 2014, 06:16:32 PM »
You are  a being of energy, scoffing at a physical form. Choose a damage type from the following list: [Electricity] [Cold] [Acid] or [Fire]. All damage from this track is energy damage with that descriptor.

Circle 1- Levitation SU: You can hover above the ground, making you [Immune] to [Ground] effects as long as you are not [Burrowing], and moving out of a square of difficult terrain does not cost you extra movement.
Static discharge SU: As a move action, you may deal damage equal to your level + your KOM to one opponent within your [Melee] range. At 10th level, this affects all opponents within your [Melee] range.

Circle 2 - Incorporeality EX: You have [Lesser resistance] to physical damage. Your natural weapons gain the [Elemental] weapon property and deal energy damage with your chosen descriptor.

Circle 3- Flight EX: You possess the flight movement mode.
              Empowered strike SU: You fuel abilities with your own essence, strengthening them at a cost to yourself. Once per [Round], as a free action, you may take [HP reduction] up to your KOM in order to deal twice that much extra damage on a SU, SLA, or Spell that you use this [Round] that deals damage. 

Circle 4- Pick one of the following abilities. This choice is permanent:
Possession SU: You gain the ability to possess people's bodies. As a standard action, you may attempt to move into the same square as an opponent within [Melee] range. A successful will save(DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your KOM) prevents this movement. If they fail, you begin possessing them and they take 1d6 damage per level. While possessing someone, you share their square and move with them when they move. If you leave their square, you cease possessing them.  An opponent who is possessed is [Entangled]. Any abilities you activate must target the opponent you possess, if able, and the possessed opponent must use a will save in place of any save the ability would normally allow. Any abilities your opponent activates must target you, if able, and the you must use a will save in place of any save the ability would normally allow. A possessed opponent may attempt to break free with a move or standard action, allowing them to make the will save again.
As a standard action while possessing an opponent, you may attempt to seize complete control. They must make a will save (DC 10+ 1/2 your level+your KOM) or be [Restrained] by you until the end of your next turn and take 1d6 damage per level. A [Restrained] creature is immobilized by an opponent, taking a -5 penalty to AC. It can only take one kind of action: as a move or standard action, it can remove the [Restrained] condition with a successful Will save (DC 10+1/2 your level + your KOM). It may take this action even if it is [Grappled] or [Pinned]. [Restrained] is a [Binding] effect.
As a move action, you can deal your level in damage to a [Restrained] target. This causes them to be [Restrained] for an additional round.

Shock Shield SU: For each opponent, the first time in a [Round] that they hit you with an attack from within [Close] range, they take your level in damage.

Circle 5- Phase SU: You can phase your body through solid matter at will. As a swift action, all of your movement for 1 [Round] gains the [Warp] descriptor.

Circle 6 - Greater energy form SU:Your [Lesser resistance] to physical damage from incorporeality increases to [Resistance].  When you take at least 7 [hp reduction] from empowered strike, the ability gains a +1 to the DC of any saves associated with it. if you have Shock Shield, opponents damaged by Shock Shield are [Entangled] for 1 [Round]. If you have Possession, then you may choose to have the target of your possession be [Checked] in all directions while possessed.

Circle 7- Transcendence SU: You ascend to a higher plane of existence. You are permanently [Invisible]. Phase no longer requires an action to use.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:01:54 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Firewalk

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Energy Bodied
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 03:09:08 PM »
Is there any reason this has to be electricity damage? This'd make for a nice ghost if it did cold (or negative, but I see why that could be a problem).

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 03:22:08 PM »
Is there any reason this has to be electricity damage? This'd make for a nice ghost if it did cold (or negative, but I see why that could be a problem).
Good point. I had an energy being in mind, and so it did electricity, but looking at the final result it could easily be used for other things. I'll make it more flexible

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »
[Immunity] to [Ground] effects that doesn't involve [Flying] is a major slap in the face for Earth Elementals.  Available at Level 1 no less.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 01:41:34 PM »
[Immunity] to [Ground] effects that doesn't involve [Flying] is a major slap in the face for Earth Elementals.  Available at Level 1 no less.
"major". it hinders one of their more minor abilities. a dragon could be truly flying at level 1, the earth elemental still couldn't earthspike them, and wouldn't have any way to cope with it.  The anti-flying stuff on earth elemental is a synergy, not a requirement for the track to work. I have considered adding wording about things that would remove flight will remove this, but I am not sure it is necessary.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 02:51:43 AM »
"major". it hinders one of their more minor abilities. a dragon could be truly flying at level 1, the earth elemental still couldn't earthspike them, and wouldn't have any way to cope with it.  The anti-flying stuff on earth elemental is a synergy, not a requirement for the track to work. I have considered adding wording about things that would remove flight will remove this, but I am not sure it is necessary.
C1 is a [Ground] effect.  C6 is a [Ground] effect.  C7 is an upgrade to C1, and nothing more.  C3 is the ability to remove an opponent's immunity to [Ground] effects, so that C1 and C6 can be used.  The rest of the track avoids creating any action conflicts with C1, and one of the two C4 options is designed partly to make it so that the Earth Elemental can make attack actions without action conflicts due to movement.

In short, I very much disagree about the Earth Elemental still being able to "work" against this track.

You have a point about Dragon trumping Earth Elemental in the system as-is -- but only until the Elemental gets its C3 ability.

Firewalk

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 05:05:09 AM »

Circle 2 - ... Your natural weapons gain the [Energized] weapon property and deal energy damage with your chosen descriptor.

The [energized] property does variable damage bonus, based on the level of the item, but you don't specify what level it counts as for this.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »

Circle 2 - ... Your natural weapons gain the [Energized] weapon property and deal energy damage with your chosen descriptor.

The [energized] property does variable damage bonus, based on the level of the item, but you don't specify what level it counts as for this.
whoops, I meant [Elemental]