Author Topic: Comboist  (Read 2830 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Comboist
« on: October 07, 2014, 11:59:57 AM »
A comboist flows their attacks from one to another, building momentum and creating openings. The blend melee and ranged attacks into a seemless flow, re-positioning themselves and their opponent across the battlefield.

note: some abilities on this track allow you to switch to a melee or ranged weapon; if you are using a [thrown] weapon it can work for either, so you don’t need multiple weapons if you don’t want them
All replaced attacks occur at the base attack bonus of the replaced attack.

Circle 1 -Mixed style EX: Abilities from this track are either labeled as [Powerful] or [Accurate]. [Powerful] attacks deal an extra 1d4 precision damage per circle in this track you possess.[Accurate] attacks get a +1 fury bonus to hit per circle in this track.
 Blowback EX: Once per [Round], In place of a melee attack, you may make a Blowback attempt. This is a [Accurate] melee attack that deals normal damage. If it hits, the target must make a fortitude save (DC 10+  ½ your level + your KOM) or be [Blown away]. If they fail their save, you may switch to a ranged weapon,
Crushing Pounce EX: Once per [Round], in place of a ranged attack, you may make a Crushing Pounce attempt. This is a [Powerful] ranged attack within [Close] range that deals normal damage. If it hits, the target must make a reflex save (DC 10 + ½ your level + your KOM), or be [Sickened] for 1 [Round]. If they fail this save, you may draw a melee weapon and move adjacent to that target. This movement does not provoke an attack of oppurtunity

Circle 2-Mixed Styles EX: Once per [Round], if you hit with a melee attack, you may ignore the highest [Miss chance] on your next ranged attack before the end of the next  [Round].
  Once per [Round], if you hit with a ranged attack, your next melee attack before the end of the next [Round] will cause its target to be [Shaken]. A will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your KOM) negates this effect

Circle 3- Basic Combo EX: Whenever you hit a target with a melee attack, they gain a melee [tag]. Whenever you hit a target with a ranged attack, they gain a ranged [Tag]. These tags expire after 1 [Round] or at the beginning of your attack action, whichever comes first. While a target has at least 1 [Tag] inflicted by you, you may make any attack against them be [Accurate] or [Powerful] at your choice, if not already specified. Additionally, you gain the following abilities:
Uppercut EX: If you have at least 1 melee [Tag] on a target, you may make an uppercut attempt in place of a melee attack. This is a [Powerful] melee attack that deals normal damage. If it hits, the target becomes [Flying] for 1 [Round] and is [Checked] in all directions for 1 [Round], and you may switch to a ranged weapon. A successful reflex save (DC 10 + ½ your level + your KOM) negates the [Checked] condition. Additionally, a creature with the fly movement mode can spend an immediate action to remove the [Checked] condition.
Wingclip EX: If you have at least 1 ranged [Tag] on a target, you may make a wingclip attempt in place of a ranged attack. This is a [Accurate] ranged attack that deals normal damage. If it hits, and it hit a [Flying] opponent, that opponent stops [Flying], loses the [Fly] movement mode until the start of your next turn, and is knocked [Prone]. You may switch to a melee weapon.
Chained style EX: If an opponent fails their save against your Blowback ability, you may make a ranged bonus attack. If an opponent fails their save against your Crushing Pounce ability, you may make a melee [Bonus attack]

Circle 4- RepositionEX: You may make your move action during your attack action, in between attacks. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity from opponents with one of your [Tags] during this movement.

Circle 5- Advanced Combos EX: You gain the following abilities:
Priming Blast EX: Once per [Round], if you have at least 1 ranged [Tag] and 1 melee [Tag], you may make a Priming Blast attempt. This is a [Accurate] ranged attack that deals normal damage. If it hits, the target is [Entangled] for 2 [Rounds] and [Flat footed] for 1 [Round]. a reflex save (DC 10 + ½ your level+ you KOM) negates the [Entangled] and [Flat Footed] conditions.
Shadow Tackle SU: Once per [Round], if you have at least 1 ranged [Tag] and 1 melee [Tag], you may make a Shadow Tackle attempt. This is a [Powerful] melee attack that deals normal damage. If it hits, you and your target [Teleport] to adjacent squares within [Close] range, and they become [Grappled] by you. A reflex save (DC 10+ ½ your level+your KOM) negates the [Grappled] effect.
Whiplash EX:  Once per [Round], if you have at least 2 melee [Tags], you may make a whiplash attempt. This is an [Accurate] ranged attack that deals normal damage. If it hits, the target is pulled adjacent to you and takes your level in additional damage. You may switch to a melee weapon.
Piledriver EX:  Once per [Round], if you have at least 2 ranged [Tags], you may make a piledriver attempt. This is a [Powerful] melee attack that deals normal damage.If it hits, the target is knocked [Prone]

Circle 6- Switchback Turnabout EX: If you hit a target with a melee attack, you may have them lose all ranged tags you inflicted and gain a condition based on how many ranged tags they lost. If you hit a target with a ranged attack, you may have them lose all melee tags you inflicted and gain a condition based on how many melee tags they lost.
1 [Tag]:  The opponent is [Battered] for 2 [Rounds]
2 [Tags]: the opponent is [Blinded] for 1 [Round]
3 [Tags]: the opponent is [Slowed] for 1 [Round]
4 [Tags]: the opponent is [Nauseated] for 1 [Round]
5 [Tags]: the opponent is [Stunned] for 1 [Round]

Circle 7- Redirected Recover EX: Once per attack, if you don’t hit any targets with your attack, you may make another attack at a target who was not targeted by the original attack.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:55:34 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Comboist
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 02:28:32 PM »
I like this a lot. Holy crap I like this a lot a lot.

... I might make this a default for some Rangers in my world instead of Daggers and Bolts.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Greybender

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »
Circle 7 could use some clarification with [Volley], since most effects only apply to 1 [Volley] target.
The game would implode into rocket tag in a twisted mockery of all that is wrong with 3.5, angels would weep and the skies would fall, and it would all be your fault. Yours and yours alone.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 03:38:33 PM »
Circle 7 could use some clarification with [Volley], since most effects only apply to 1 [Volley] target.
[Volley] is why it says "don't hit any" rather than "miss", and "a target who was not targeted by the original attack" rather than "another target". The interaction works just as it says; if I make a volley attack, and I hit anyone with it, I can't use this ability. if I miss ALL of them with it, I can use this ability, but I must attack someone who was not in the volley attempt.

Firewalk

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:05:18 PM »
The damage bonus from Mixed Style seems a bit powerful when compared with the assassin track. Given that Comboist can get the same bonus damage at 1st circle without any requirement, & can apply it without major impediment, & gets other options on attack, that seems to be very strong in comparison, or at best very front- loaded.

It also seems odd that 2nd circle is granting abilities that rely on multiple attacks being used in a round, when a PC with good BAB still won't get their 2nd attack until 6th level, when they've just got their 3rd circle.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:11:01 PM »
You are right about 2nd circle being wonky. it made sense when I first wrote it, then other things changed. I will consider how to change it.
comboist does match assassin's sneak attack damage, but it has to use blowback to get it. assassin's are free to trip or disarm or grapple. I should tone down the damage, though. I mainly needed a progression to scale on circles rather than level to keep it in sync with the accurate attacks, but a 1d4 would make more sense here.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 07:12:16 PM »
ok, I scaled back the precision damage, added a new 2nd circle, moved the only one into 3rd, which was weak anyways