Author Topic: Curse Mummy  (Read 2611 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Curse Mummy
« on: May 13, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »
This is an alternative to the official mummy track. In popular media, mummies are more associated with curses than fear, but the legend mummy is strongly tied to fear. This is a solid design space, but I wanted to make something with stronger ties to the cursing side of things. This is an undead track, and hence cannot be taken alongside the oriignal mummy track, nor any other undead track

This uses the mummy race, except the racial feat list is instead

Pharoah
slow and steady
by will sustained

a curse mummy cannot take Keep Them In Line

Condition: [Cursed]
At the beginning of a [Cursed] creature's turn, the GM rolls a d6 and the creature suffers the effect from the following table. The creature is unaware of the roll until the results are activated
1No effect
2Automatically fail the next saving throw made this [Round]
3The first attack to hit them this [Round] will be a critical
4Falls [Prone] the first time they attempt to move this [Round].
5A random accident occurs during the next [Round], dealing damage equal to the KOM of the creature that inflicted this condition, ignoring resistances.
6 Roll twice, take both effects, reroll further 6s. If the same number is rolled adn it occurs the first time something happens each [Round], the second roll instead occurs the second time it happens that [Round]

Circle 1-Curse-Bringer SU: As a move action, you may cause an opponent within [Close] range to be [Cursed] until the end of the encounter. At the beginning of your turn, you are healed one hit point per circle of Mummy you possess for each creature [Cursed] or [Energy drained] within [Close] range, up to an amount of HP equal to twice your level.

Circle 2-Well embalmed: You gain [Lesser resistance] to physical damage.

3rd Circle – The Flesh is StrongEX: You gain [Immunity] to [Fear], [Bleeding], and the in-combat use of Intimidate.

4th circle- Greater Curse SU: For each creature, if it starts its turn in your [Melee] range, or the first time it enters your [melee] range in a [Round], becomes [Energy Drained] until the end of the encounter. A successful will save(DC 10 + 1/2 level + KOM) negates this effect.

5th Circle – Necrotic AuraSU: Each opponent takes a penalty to all d20 rolls based on how close it is to you: a -3 penalty within your [Melee] range, a -2 penalty within your [Close] range, and a -1 penalty within your [Medium] range. These penalties do not stack and expire as soon as the opponent leaves the area of effect.

6th Mummy – Contagious TouchSU: As a standard action,you may make a single attack. On a hit, you deal damage as normal and inflict a -3 penalty to attack rolls and a -5 penalty to damage until the end of the [Encounter]. A successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ your level + your Key Offensive Modifier) negates these penalties. Additionally, once per [Round], as a swift action, you may inflict a -3 penalty to attack rolls and a -5 penalty to damage until the end of the [Encounter] on any creature within 5 ft + 5 ft per 5 levels you possess of a creature already penalized by Contagious Touch. A successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ your level + your Key Offensive modifier) negates these penalties.

7th Circle – No RequiemSU: Heroes who manage to strike you down are doomed to frustration. Once per [Scene], if you become [Dead] or are rendered [Unconscious], you return to undeath after 1 [Round] with full hit points. You may delay your revival or choose not to return at all.

Feat:
Pharoah [Racial]
prerequisite: Curse Mummy Race
Once per [Encounter], when you inflict [Cursed] on an opponent, that opponent is also [Energy Drained]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:27:00 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Curse Mummy
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:14:06 AM »
Should there be, at the very least, a save on C1?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »
I've been trying to decide. I wanted it to be pretty reliable, and originally had a it as a standard action with no save, but decided that was too much action investment; by the time you cursed the other side, the battle will be over without you attacking. I also don't view a mummy curse as something that doesn't always stick, just because someone is strong-willed.

TheoArtheas

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 01:26:31 PM »
If my [cursed] roll turns up 6, then I roll 2 and 2 on my rerolls, would that make me fail the next 2 saving throws? Or would I reroll the second 2 until I got something unique?

Also, [cursed] states that the affected creature is unaware of the result until it actives, but does the Curse Mummy know the result?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 01:30:44 PM »
If my [cursed] roll turns up 6, then I roll 2 and 2 on my rerolls, would that make me fail the next 2 saving throws? Or would I reroll the second 2 until I got something unique?

Also, [cursed] states that the affected creature is unaware of the result until it actives, but does the Curse Mummy know the result?
hmm, I need to clarify that. I guess the next 2 saving throws will be the way to go, I'll just need to word it out

The curse mummy doesn't know either; think of it like the curse activating when the trigger event occurs, and before that is just bookkeeping for the GM.

Epsilon Rose

• Minion
  • The King of Unrest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 04:40:51 AM »
You need to pick the racials for this track, unless you intend for it to use the mummy racials. Also, double rolling 4s on a curse probably won't do much, but that's not really a very likely scenario.

Beyond that, this is a rather interesting track.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 09:25:34 AM »
I was intending for it to just use the exisitng mummy stuff. I guess I could change the feats to  be
Pharoah
slow and steady
by will sustained

Pharoah [Racial]
prerequisite: Curse Mummy Race
Once per [Encounter], when you inflict [Cursed] on an opponent, that opponent is also [Energy Drained]

As for the double 4, it can be quite nasty. You move, trip, stand up, try to move again, and trip again. If you really needed to get away, you probably just failed because you can't manage to walk properly. If that doesn't come up, well, none of the curses are guaranteed to come up, except for the damage. its no worse than just rolling a 4.