Author Topic: Track: Hulking Hurler  (Read 1776 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Track: Hulking Hurler
« on: April 07, 2012, 02:32:19 AM »
This track would be useful for making something like a giant that uses rock throwing as a main form of attack. It benefits from being large.

Hulking hurler
The hulking hurler shies away from traditional combat styles in favor of tossing things around. Boulders, cars, enemies,trees,  allies, whatever is handy.
Taking the hulking hurler track changes your KOM to str, unless your KDM is already str.

Circle 1 - Massive throw
As a standard action, you pick up a large object, and throw it at an enemy. This is a [Close] range attack that does 2d6+KOM+1d4/level on a hit. The 1d4/level is a fury bonus, and does not stack with fury bonuses from other tracks. If no object is handy, you can use a swift action to rip a chunk out of the ground to throw. Doing so create a depression in a square next to you that counts as difficult terrain.

Circle 2 - Tactical deployment
When the picking are rough, you may resort to grabbing one of your allies.
As a standard action, you can throw one ally no larger than yourself within [melee] range to a square within [close] range. If they are smaller than you, you may throw them to a square within [medium] range. If the end up in [melee] range of an opponent, they may take a single attack action, as if they had charged.  This does not trigger any secondary effects of a charge that they may have, such as the ability to make extra attacks or charge extra times, though bonus damage from charging still applies. They gain[flying] for the duration of this movement, so you can toss them over obstacles that a flying creature could bypass, and they may attack a [flying] creature at the end of the movement.
The thrown ally may also make a acrobatics check to jump when thrown. If they acheive [flying] with their check, they can continue flying for that many extra rounds.

Circle 3 - Enemies are tossable too
As a standard action, you can grab an enemy no larger than you in [melee] range, and throw them. You must hit them with an attack, then you can use them as an object for Massive throw. Doing so deals damage to them as if they were hit by massive throw and knocks them [prone]

Circle 4 - Long range toss
Massive throw can now be used at [medium] range.
Circle 4a - Rock catching
If someone uses a thrown weapon against you, you may use an immediate action to try to catch it and throw it yourself. You must succeed on a reflex save vs. the attack roll. If you succeed, you may immediately attack with the weapon. If the attack was a mighty throw, then you can use mighty throw yourself.

Circle 5 - Clear them out
Instead of targeting a single enemy, you can now use massive throw to hit a line 10ft wide that extends out to medium range. If the line hits an object that blocks line of effect, that object takes the damage from mighty throw, and if it is destroyed, the line attack continues past it. You make a single attack roll and compare it to all targets within the line, those hit take damage from mighty throw.
note: If using an enemy as your thrown object, they still only take mighty throw damage once.

Circle 6 - Double throw
When using tactical deployment, you may now toss two allies at once.

Circle 7 - Comet strike
once per encounter, you can throw an object with such force that it strikes with the force of a comet. This creates a 60-foot burst that deals 4 points of damage per level to all targets in the radius, with a reflex save for half( DC 10+1/2 level + str ), centered on the target of your Massive throw. Comet strike is incompatible with Clear them out, bbut a thrown enemy will still take Massive throw damage and be subject to the area damage. This leaves a crater in the effected area, making the area difficult terrain, and leaves large chunks of the ground strewn about that can be used with massive throw.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Track: Hulking Hurler
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 02:56:58 AM »
Fourth circle's second option should allow you to return any ranged attack instead of only thrown weapons.
A few typos also.
If you take the feat "Swift-hand throw" would it allow you to skip the swift action to rip some earth from the ground? Also because this track is limited to only one attack per round how about taking out the need for a standard action for one attack and instead just have the swift action to reload?
And when i view the hulking hurler i always wanted to make ranged bull-rush attempts, maybe add this feature to the track?
Tossing enemies to push other enemies around. Also is it possible to use "path of blades" to pick up an enemy during your charge and toss them using "hurling charge"?
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 03:15:53 AM »
Fourth circle's second option should allow you to return any ranged attack instead of only thrown weapons.
A few typos also.
If you take the feat "Swift-hand throw" would it allow you to skip the swift action to rip some earth from the ground? Also because this track is limited to only one attack per round how about taking out the need for a standard action for one attack and instead just have the swift action to reload?
And when i view the hulking hurler i always wanted to make ranged bull-rush attempts, maybe add this feature to the track?
Tossing enemies to push other enemies around. Also is it possible to use "path of blades" to pick up an enemy during your charge and toss them using "hurling charge"?
Any ranged attack doesn't feel like it fits the track. Its mainly meant to catch mighty throws, with other thrown weapons allowed so its not ridiculously precise. This is a very circumstantial ability, which is why its not the only aspect of the circle.
The one attack per round is what allows me to operate on spell balance for the damage and area progression for the most part. And its not a swift action to reload- its a swift action to rip a chunk of the ground out to attack when you don't have another projectile handy. You can grab a free object or enemy in the same action you throw it.
I was trying to avoid doing obvious things like adding knockback and/or stunning because I seem to add them to most of my tracks, and I really shouldn't. This needs to be functionally distinct. I also seem to have a tendancy for tracks that do one thing, which is also a bad habit.  This has some variety with being able to throw allies, but it needs more.
You can't throw an enemy with path of blades because that requires a standard action. You are also thinking of hurling charge, not path of blades.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:50:37 AM »
I understand you want to make this track a little different from your others, but trauma induced status effects like stun, knock-back, and blown-away fits this track so well.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.