Author Topic: The Veteran  (Read 3947 times)

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Veteran
« on: April 09, 2012, 06:41:34 PM »
Here's my attempt at a very general track for an experienced soldier, assassin, or just a murderer. This track is mostly passive designed to increase the potency of other tracks.

The Veteran- All of the following abilities are extraordinary.

1st-Experience- The Veterans scars are marks of wisdom.  +2 to any one attribute and +1 to any skill or save.

2nd-Like a boss- Choose one this choice is permanent.
2a.Tank it all- You gain [Damage reduction] equal to 1 per circle.
2b.Hustle- You gain +20 ft to all movement modes and start each encounter with one focus point.

3rd-Practice makes perfect- Choose one, this choice is permanent.
3a.A little deeper-Any time your source of [precision] damage would apply add 5 [hp reduction] to that attack.
3b.Yell louder!-You gain +1 +1 per 6 Level fury bonus to AC, ATK, one save or one skill.

4th-Been there, done that.- Choose one, this choice is permanent.
4a.I am Prepared! At the start of each encounter you gain the following for the first round. +3 AC, Saves and Initiative.
4b.Fool me twice... You gain +2 to all social defenses, and you start each social encounter with one token.

5th-Battle scarred- When you drop below half of your max hit-points, the attribute you chose for Experience increases by an additional 2 and the skill or save you chose increases by an additional 1.

6th-Mythical Hero- Choose one this choice is permanent.
6a.Fictional Fervor- Whenever you score a critical strike and your [precision] dmg or fury bonus to ATK or damage applies you gain your KOM in temporary hit-points.
6b.Undying Tale- At the start of every encounter you gain your KDM + Level in temporary hit-points, at the end of the round if all of your temporary hit-points are expended you gain KDM + Level in temporary hit-points.

7th-Leadership- At the start of each encounter you may have all allies within [Medium] range gain a +2 moral bonus to all d20 rolls until end of encounter.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:50:17 PM by Djtooth »
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Veteran
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:49:45 PM »
for Fool Me Twice do you mean Token instead of Focus Point? because focus points are for combat abilities (I Am Not Left Handed, Kensai, etc.).

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Magic 8-Ball Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:53:22 PM »
I'd advise rethinking Been there done that on both choices as neither is applicable to the class itself. If I did give particular bonuses like that I would at least give it something to stand on by itself as it limits the usability of the track otherwise. Unless Fool Me Twice meant tokens, in which case that one was ok.

I think adding damage to precision damage on top of the precision damage is a bit unbalancing as they are designed to be stand alone as is. You might want to change Just a Scratch to 1d4 precision damage by itself as that would be frankly ridiculous with something like Discipline of the Serpent.

Undying tale is badly unbalanced compared to fictional fervor. It makes the rage track look askance at its own temp hp that it has to refresh rage just to get and that's one of the best sources of temp hp in the game. I think one needs to be brought down, one needs to be brought up, or both. Probably both.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
for Fool Me Twice do you mean Token instead of Focus Point? because focus points are for combat abilities (I Am Not Left Handed, Kensai, etc.).
Whoops

I'd advise rethinking Been there done that on both choices as neither is applicable to the class itself. If I did give particular bonuses like that I would at least give it something to stand on by itself as it limits the usability of the track otherwise. Unless Fool Me Twice meant tokens, in which case that one was ok.

I think adding damage to precision damage on top of the precision damage is a bit unbalancing as they are designed to be stand alone as is. You might want to change Just a Scratch to 1d4 precision damage by itself as that would be frankly ridiculous with something like Discipline of the Serpent.

Undying tale is badly unbalanced compared to fictional fervor. It makes the rage track look askance at its own temp hp that it has to refresh rage just to get and that's one of the best sources of temp hp in the game. I think one needs to be brought down, one needs to be brought up, or both. Probably both.
This track is meant to not have anything stand alone only passive buffs.
7d4 scales worse than CL with a average of 17.5 at 20, i don't think it would be to scary and it doesn't work if you don't have precision ill add slower scaling on it though.
Also monks precision is kinda weird dealing more than rangers and rouge which both has conditions on their precision.

Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

GreyMantle

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 01:24:47 AM »
I don't have absolute proof of this, but I don't think Legend uses CL as an abbreviation for character level. A quick skim suggests that "per level" or "per character level" is used instead. This makes sense, as CL in 3.x is very much associated with Caster Level, which is a concept that is not relevant to The Veteran.

Are there any other track abilities that just give a flat and permanent bonus to ability scores? Again, I don't have absolute proof, but I don't think that any do. More importantly, a flat ability score bonus is really kind of boring. All Wisdom means is that the character is slightly slightly better at one subset of activities. It's not a bad ability in terms of power, but it just lacks any flavor or character. Which is sadface.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 01:33:28 PM »
Since Legend doesn't allow you to take classes at different levels like dnd does you cannot have less caster level than your character level, meaning having caster levels at all is redundant. You caster level is your character level if you have spells in legend. Unlike in 3.5 if you went 3 levels in wizard and 2 levels in fighter your caster level would be 3.

And the scars are from what didn't kill him therefore making him stronger?(For physical increase.)
Or what he learned from that experience (for mental increase.)
This is just meant to be a mostly supportive track for the rest of your tracks.

GreyMantle

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 02:09:15 PM »
Since Legend doesn't allow you to take classes at different levels like dnd does you cannot have less caster level than your character level, meaning having caster levels at all is redundant. You caster level is your character level if you have spells in legend. Unlike in 3.5 if you went 3 levels in wizard and 2 levels in fighter your caster level would be 3.

I realize that. It's not ambiguous in a mechanical sense. I just don't think that the rest of Legend uses that notation, possibly because it could be ambiguous for a 3.x player.

Example thought process: Oh wow, this new Legend system is soooo neat!!! But wait, why does this interesting homebrew track use CL? Is that caster level? I thought that Legend didn't have caster level as a distinct value. Confusion ensues.

Clearly, my example is something of an exaggeration, but I still think your notation is mildly ambiguous.

And the scars are from what didn't kill him therefore making him stronger?(For physical increase.)
Or what he learned from that experience (for mental increase.)
This is just meant to be a mostly supportive track for the rest of your tracks.

I understand where the bonus is coming from. I'm just saying that, again I don't think other Legend tracks give permanent flat ability score bonuses. And the bonus itself is a boring ability to have, even for a primarily defensive track. I would not be surprised if a player forgets that he has this additional +2 to an ability because he is a Veteran after a few sessions.

Examples of more interesting defensive abilities include rerolls, DR, fast healing, weird immunities, status condition immunities, a bigger bonus to a save, etc... Many of which the Veteran already has. It seems silly to include so generic a boost as "+2 to one ability score" in an otherwise engaging track.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:31:02 PM »
Legend should start using that notation...
Also barbarian has a ability increase. there's also a shaman spell that does it. Its rare sure , very versatile and i think its fun. what would you replace it with?

GreyMantle

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 06:00:16 PM »

I am willing to concede that point. But, up until that point (maybe the 1.0 release?), it probably makes sense to use notation consistent with the rest of the system.

Also barbarian has a ability increase. there's also a shaman spell that does it. Its rare sure , very versatile and i think its fun. what would you replace it with?

Path of Rage does increase your strength. But only while you are raging. You have to turn it on and off, which means you'll always notice that bump to your stats when you press the "on" button. It only becomes permanent at level 19, which is extremely different from a 1st Circle bonus.
The shaman spell is, likewise, a temporary buff.

Scars, on the other hand, is permanent, and much smaller in magnitude than Rage is. My argument, therefore, is that its impact will swiftly be forgotten. Your character will still have that +1 to some rolls, but you as the player are likely to forget that it comes specifically from your Scars ability in your Veteran track. And that seems like a somewhat undesirable state of affairs, and not at all "fun."

This problem is much more prevalent in a randomly generated ability score setup like default 3.x, but even in Legend I think it's still extent.

As for replacement suggestions, I don't have anything off the top of my head. Reroll mechanics are a nice ability that make you "feel" tougher as well as actually be tougher. But I don't know how balanced that would be. You could also try a larger bonus to a smaller subset of abilities. Getting, say, +2 to one specific save or skill is more noticeable and more specific, so you're more likely to feel its presence.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 07:36:34 AM »

In practice, permanent ability score increases are somewhat iffy. It's part of the reason they were removed from Utter Brute, and things like Blacksmith and Optimistic Viscera are still up for debate. Experience is smaller, and thus potentially less problematic, though.

I will say that Experience doesn't balance with other 1st-circle abilities. It might be okay at 2nd circle. Scan through for a general comparison.

Not really. Legend doesn't have multiple types of levels. There are no class levels, caster levels or spell levels. There's no need for a term like "character level" or a notation like "CL" because "level" has a totally consistent meaning already.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »
Ok ill start using Level instead of Cl.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »
Actually, CL is used in Legend. Its in the short summaries on the Spell Lists.
 Example:
 Cure Light Wounds – Restores 1d8 HP +2 per level and removes one condition. (Inflict Light Wounds – 1d8 damage +1 per CL.)
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 07:27:45 PM »
I think that may just be a vestige of the game's morphing from 3.5. Not certain.
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)