Author Topic: Shield Master (1.0 update)  (Read 3010 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Shield Master (1.0 update)
« on: April 13, 2012, 03:29:31 AM »
Shield Master
 Many warriors use a shield. It is a basic enough implement, and can save your life. However, some pursue the use of a shield with as much dedication as a master swordsman shows to swordplay. These individuals are known as shield masters, and they exemplify the use of a shield, both as its traditional defensive role and as a tool for offense.
Circle 1: Improved shield use
You may wield a magical or non-magical shield. When you do so, it gains a +1 item bonus to deflection AC per circle of this track your possess.
Circle 2: Shield wall
  As a swift action, a Shield master may share his deflection bonus with one [ally] in [melee] range. This does not stack with any deflection bonus the character already has.
Circle 3: Offensive Shield
   Choose an offensive use of your shield. Which ever option you pick, if your shield is magical, you may apply the extra deflection bonus from its enchantment as a bonus on attack rolls. you may wield these weapons at the same time as your normal weapon.
   Circle 3a: Shield Bash
    You may opt to use your shield to make a bashing attack instead of attacking with your weapon. Shield bash is considered a [parrying][devestating][unbalancing] weapon, and once per [round] a character hit by the bash is [Knocked Down]. A Fortitude save(DC 10+1/2 your level + KOM) negates this effect
   Circle 3b: Thrown Shield
   You may use your shield as a thrown weapon with a range of [close]. You can consider the shield a [thrown],[point blank],[reacting] weapon. *this could probably use some sugar*

Circle 4: Spell deflection
   You learn to use your shield to block spells. You gain [Resistance] to magic and elemental damage.
Circle 5: Take one for the team
  You can choose to throw yourself into the heart of an AoE to shield your allies from harm. If you are in an area of effect, you may negate the effect. However, you receive the full brunt of the effect. You automatically fail any save, take twice as much damage, and any effects of the spell last twice as long.
Circle 6: Improved Offensive Shield
   Depending on which option you took in Circle 3, your offensive ability with your shield increases.
   Shield bash:
     if a character fails the save against shield bash, the next time you hit them in that [Round] with shield bash they are [Dazed] for 1 [Round].  a Fortitude save(DC 10+1/2 your level + KOM) negates this effect.
   Thrown Shield:
     You learn to ricochet your shield into multiple opponents. If you make a successful ranged attack with your thrown shield, you can make a free attack against another enemy that has line of effect to both you and the original target. Determine range from the first target. You may target the ground to get a free ricochet from that point.

Circle 7: Perfect shield
Once per [Encounter], as a swift action, you can enter a state of perfect defense. For the following [round], your AC cannot be hit, and you automatically succeed any saves you make.

Edit:
Changed the offensive shield options to fit with the weapon paradigm. I only gave them 2 properties because I still want your primary weapon to be better, whilst the offensive sheild gives you more tactical options to intersperse shield attacks amongst your weapon attacks.

edit2:
I added anothe property to the shields. Their properties are largely passive, making it more of a support role, while your main weapon can be more primely offensive, and you can enchant it as a weapon better.  I reowrded first circle to fit with the weapon paradigm a bit better, and hit the shield bash with a nerfbat. The spell deflection I changes to be resistance, and reworked the higher tier shield bash to work better.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 12:22:52 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Shield Master
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:11:40 PM »
Definitely a good idea. It does seem that most of these ideas focus around a standard shield, as I can't imagine a tower shield returning like a boomerang.

Maybe add the ability at a low circle to wield 2 shields, potentially allowing that kind of an ability where you select an opponent for a round and take less damage from them (using your second shield to focus solely on them since most of the existing techniques in this circle wouldn't make much sense with 2 shields, save the offensive circles).

Also, at 7th Circle, it might be neat to allow someone to wield 2 tower shields, which would let them gain total concealment from all sides at the expense of not being able to do much that turn. I'm pretty sure they'd be vulnerable to an aerial enemy directly above them, though (provided that's allowed).
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 01:14:40 PM »
Definitely a good idea. It does seem that most of these ideas focus around a standard shield, as I can't imagine a tower shield returning like a boomerang.
I'm going to go with what seems to be the geneal philosophy in legend of "Let the player decide if the fluff doesn't make sense". If you use a tower shield, and you think the idea of throwing it like a boomerang is silly, then take the shield bash option instead. But I'm not going to rule out the possibility somebody has some awesome concept of character they want to emulate where this would make sense.
Maybe add the ability at a low circle to wield 2 shields, potentially allowing that kind of an ability where you select an opponent for a round and take less damage from them (using your second shield to focus solely on them since most of the existing techniques in this circle wouldn't make much sense with 2 shields, save the offensive circles).
I don't mean for using sheilds to consume all of your effort. Its intended to still be fighting with a normal weapon most of the time. I made the shield a hold-out weapon so you would still want to fight with a normal weapon if possible, and limited the number of daze uses to encourage more of a bash-sword-sword-sword fighting style. Or with the thrown sheild, its a ranged weapon only, so you would still use your sword in melee.

Also, at 7th Circle, it might be neat to allow someone to wield 2 tower shields, which would let them gain total concealment from all sides at the expense of not being able to do much that turn. I'm pretty sure they'd be vulnerable to an aerial enemy directly above them, though (provided that's allowed).
Taking yourself out of combat for a round is probably a bad thing in most cases. Unless you have fast healing,  then it becomes the ultimate form of turtling mid-combat to recharge. Just because you are focused on using shields well does not mean that is all you should be doing. Its about augmenting your fighting with shield use,not running around with 2 shields.

GRM13

• Monk
  • Minion
  • Ore! Sanjou!!
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »
Really like this concept. I always preferred viewing the shield as a mixture of weaponry and protection, not just an extra piece of armor. And it works well with the Legend system as it allows you to combine shields with other weapons be it melee like swords or unarmed, or range like pistols/revolvers/spellcasting as opposed to just using the shield.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:21:34 PM »
One piece of this design I wanted to comment on:
I offered a scaling bonus to shields, which makes sense for the track. however, stacking that with magic items bonuses would be contrary to the balance of legend. This disadvantage here becomes that now you have a shield master who gains less benefit from magical shields, and hence is motivated to not get one, which seems contrary to the character  concept. Even if you don't need the magical bonus, the special properties a shield may have are likely something a shield master would be interested in. My solution was to allow the magical shield bonus to apply to the attacks made with the shield. And with that change, the offensive options for the shield become more appealing, having a magic shield is desirable again, and everything works out very nicely.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »
Love this track idea, sadly it doesn't allow my dreams of duel wielding shields to come true. (Shield = 1d8 long sword?)
When i saw the shield throw i thought it was going to be a ranged holdout weapon that acts a a boomerang that bounces 1 time per circle.. allowing you to hit the same person 4 times for all of the humor.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mephest

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 01:04:25 AM »
I know this is old, but just checking: Is this 1.0 compatable?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 01:41:17 AM »
This one is not, sorry. I'd need to revise it significantly, but I can do so if you are interested.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 08:36:42 AM »
I would also be interested in a 1.0 version of this track, if you have the time.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mephest

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 12:15:28 PM »
That'd be great Myst, thanks!

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Shield Master (1.0 update)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 12:24:26 PM »
I updated it. The thrown shield could probably use something extra, though.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 04:39:18 PM »
First time you use Thrown Shield in an [Encounter], the target is considered [Flat-footed] because you catch them off guard?
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 04:56:50 PM »
I thought of that, but it doesn't really encourage interweaving thrown shield attacks so much as using it once. The dynamic should be using your primary weapon most of the time, but having an alternative option that should see some use without dominating your fighting style.

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 05:06:39 AM »
Is there any reason you can't have both of them use the knocked prone thing, but they have different properties?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 08:24:06 AM »
well, if you are attacking at range, knocking them prone is a disadvantage. Plus, I want it to be more meaningful than "this ability adds throwing to your shield, and this one doesn't". Throwing the shield should be its own thing.