Author Topic: The Oracle(1.0 update)  (Read 3394 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Oracle(1.0 update)
« on: April 15, 2012, 04:54:34 AM »
Oracle
Some are blessed, or perhaps cursed, with a second sight. Often found spouting mysterious prophesies, these individuals are able to pierce the veil of time, and reveal its secrets. Many go mad, unable to deal with what they find. Others are able to deal with the reality they find, and are hailed as Seers, sought out by those seeking wisdom. However, the far more common route is to self-limit their abilities. Instead of looking at the whole of time, they look at the immediate future. They see motions, not eons, and hence are able to keep their sanity. Many find it is a great edge in combat, assuming one can react to it appropriately.
Alternate fluff: Some people are so smart, they can predict their enemies movements, and sometimes know what they will do before they know it themselves.
When you select this track, choose your highest Spellcasting Ability Modifier (SAM), or if you do not have a SAM, your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma modifier. This becomes your Track Ability Modifier (TAM) for this track. The save DC for abilities under this track is equal to 10 + ½ your character level + your Track Ability Modifier.

1st circle - Memories of a Time to Come
Choose one of the following abilities
Perfect Counter(su)
  As a swift action, you peer into the near future, and see your opponents movement. Armed with this knowledge, you can avoid their attacks. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity from moving for 1 [Round]
True strike(su)
  As a swift action, you peer into the near future, and see your opponents movement. Armed with this knowledge,you  can counter their defenses. The opponent must make a will save or be treated as [Flat footed] to you for 1 [Round].

2nd circle - Saw it coming(su)
  Your insight into the future allows you to avoid blows easier. You gain a +1 deflection bonus to AC for every oracle circle you have

3rd circle - Knew It Before You Did(su)
  You add 1/2 your level on initiative checks and gain a +2 bonus to reflex saves.

4th circle - Warning shout(su)
  As an immediate action, you can warn an ally of an impending offensive action, allowing them to dodge. Roll 1d20+level+TAM+1/circle of oracle you posses. This number replaces your ally's AC, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves against that offensive action, if higher than the normal value.

5th circle- Rivers of Fate(su)
  If you have Perfect Counter, when you use Perfect Counter, it affects every ally within [Long] range, allowing them to ignore all attacks of opportunity for 1 [Round]
  If you have True Strike, when you use True Strike, it affects opponent enemy within [Long] range, and you can share your insight with your allies, allowing them all to treat opponents who failed their save as [Flat footed] for 1 [Round].

6th circle- Anticipation(su)
You are always able to act in a surprise [Round]

7th circle - Forced Destiny(su)
  As a standard action, you can reveal the short-term destiny of a creature. It must make a will save(DC 10+1/2 level +KAM). If it fails, it must declare what actions it will take on its turn. If the action has a target, it must declare the target. If the action affects a given location, that location must be declared.  It must now perform those actions on its turn, even if they no longer make sense. This knowledge allows people to react to those actions preemptively- moving out of AoEs, positioning themselves out of reach, focusing attention on the creature to kill it, whatever they deem fit to do with the knowledge.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:22:50 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Oracle
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:39:18 AM »
This looks pretty good, actually. Nice, simple, straightforward, and reasonably effective.

7th Circle presents one problem, though - what if your actions render the creature unable to perform its chosen actions?
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »
This looks pretty good, actually. Nice, simple, straightforward, and reasonably effective.

7th Circle presents one problem, though - what if your actions render the creature unable to perform its chosen actions?
Then it can't do it. You are creating a divide between what is supposed to happen and how things actually unfold, and are locking the opponent into performing actions that may be out of date. I think that ability needs some playtesting to determine how powerful that is in practice, I think it may need a use limit. Its a trickier ability to eyeball and there isn't much of a point of comparison. 

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 04:42:48 PM »
Hmm whenever i see an oracle in a game the character usually is based on killing the party and themselves, strange to not see a counter productive, suicidal time bomb.
On the warning shout that's d20 + 12 + KAM + 4, Is it necessary to have level plus circle? usually there is only one, might as well make it an instant success. Also since its a warning shout shouldn't it give a bonus to your allies save or ac instead of replacing it?
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »
Hmm whenever i see an oracle in a game the character usually is based on killing the party and themselves, strange to not see a counter productive, suicidal time bomb.
That seems like an odd thing to associate with an oracle.
On the warning shout that's d20 + 12 + KAM + 4, Is it necessary to have level plus circle? usually there is only one, might as well make it an instant success. Also since its a warning shout shouldn't it give a bonus to your allies save or ac instead of replacing it?
Compare it to the Reign of Arrows Ricochet ability. That uses an attack roll, which is 1d20+BaB + KOM + misc. 1d20+level+KAM+Circle is approximately the same thing. Its a higher circle, so I don't want to leave them without any ofthe dozen sources of accuracy available to the ranger for their ability. Magic weapons, feats, etc. Adding in circle seems like a decent approximation.  Even if that ends up higher in some cases, it is a higher circle ability.
As for replacing their save, it is now them reacting to your warning, rather than them reacting to the attack, so it is the quality and timing of  your warning that is important. Its not so much "Watch out for that sword!" as "Duck now!"

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 05:38:33 PM »
Its not so much "Watch out for that sword!" as "Duck now!"

Presumably, you use your oracular powers to know exactly what to say to confuse the person into standing befuddled or staggering exactly as necessary to avoid harm.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

WaitForIt...Dary

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:12:30 AM »
I like this track a lot - it reminds me of the character Jewel in Michelle West's Sun Sword books.

As a general philosophical question, how do you balance potential usefulness in combat scenes vs. non-combat scenes? Short term prescience in particular seems like it 'should' (from a consistency standpoint) provide non-combat uses, but including those could make it too good.

Would a dual use die-mucking ability be appropriate - e.g. x times per encounter you may allow an ally to re-roll a d20?
Or is it best to just allow the GM to adjudicate, such as 'The left door gives you a slight sense of foreboding,' and 'Your third-eye reveals that the dice under the cup have three pips up.' ?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »
I like this track a lot - it reminds me of the character Jewel in Michelle West's Sun Sword books.

As a general philosophical question, how do you balance potential usefulness in combat scenes vs. non-combat scenes? Short term prescience in particular seems like it 'should' (from a consistency standpoint) provide non-combat uses, but including those could make it too good.
Well, the prescience is limited to the next 6 seconds. In the heat of battle, that is a huge advantage, but in other cases, its not enough to be a huge advantage.
Would a dual use die-mucking ability be appropriate - e.g. x times per encounter you may allow an ally to re-roll a d20?
Or is it best to just allow the GM to adjudicate, such as 'The left door gives you a slight sense of foreboding,' and 'Your third-eye reveals that the dice under the cup have three pips up.' ?
I thought about it, but decided that I didn't want to go that route with this character. I find that those are appropriate for luck-based characters or characters who tinker with fate- the Oracle does neither, it just observes the near future, and reacts to that information. For knowledge does allow you to alter things, but only by reacting to that information. The closest it comes is the 7th circle, which is just ensuring that person continues doing what he was going to do.
If the DM wants to give you more abilities based on your fluff, that is his call. He could use you as a mechanism for delivering prophesies to the party, for instance(something I actually did with a pathfinder oracle). However, if he is giving out of combat advantages for it, he should be sure other characters also get similar treatment.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Oracle(1.0 update)
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 05:34:59 PM »
updated this for 1.0. Biggest change is another 1st circle ability, to be more appealing to casters