Author Topic: Witch (1.0 update)  (Read 5778 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Witch (1.0 update)
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »
Witch
If you cast spells, all DCs are based off of your primary spellcasting ability. Otherwise, you can pick a mental ability to be your Key Ability Modifier (KAM) for this track

1st circle - Curse SLA
   As a standard action, you can inflict a curse on an enemy of your choosing within [Medium] range. The selected enemy must make a will save (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your KAM) or be [Energy drained]

2nd circle - Hexes and brews
Choose one of the following abilities
Dark InflictionSU
When using a spell-like ability, you may empower it with an evil hex. As a swift action, you may cast Curse on one opponent who is affected by one of your spell-like abilities other than curse. If you missed an attack roll against them or they succeeded on their save against the effect, you cannot use this ability. This is a [Surge] effect.
Witch's Brew SU
At the beginning of a [Scene], you may expend 2 spell slots per circle of this track you posses. For each spell slot, choose a spell  you know of that circle or lower which either has a Target listing of a single creature or has a listed Incantion version(if a spell fits both criteria, you must choose the incantation version). You create a potion with that spell effect, which may  be given to another creature as a part of a move action. It takes a swift action for a creature to drink a potion, which causes the spell to be cast with them as the target. Any choices for the spell must be made when the potion is brewed, and the spell is treated as if you were the caster. Potions become inert at the end of the [Scene]

3rd circle- Dark power Choose one of the following abilities
    FamiliarSU -You keep company with a small animal that helps act as a conduit to magical forces. The DC for your spells increases by 2.
    Flying BroomstickSU - You can use magic to levitate objects, typically cleaning suplies. Any mount you ride gains the [Flight] movement mode.

4th circle - She turned me into a newt!SLA
  You can turn your foe into a small animal. Once per [Encounter], when using curse, you can also change the target into a small animal of your choice. While an animal, the only actions the creature may take are move or run actions. Each round,  the target gets a new will save, on a success they get better, and this effect ends. You cannot use this on the same [Round] that you use Dark Infliction.
Curse now inflicts a [Energy drained] twice when used

5th circle- Protective wards
    Once per [Scene], as a standard action, you may place protective wards on an ally. The wards last for the remainder of the [Scene]. When placed, you must choose one of the following versions:
     Protection from damaging spells: The warded creatures gains [Resistance] to magic damage
     Protection from physical harm: The warded creature gains [Resistance] to damage
     Protection from adverse effects: The warded creature gains a +5 bonus on all saves
     Protection from elemental fury: The warded creature gains [Resistance] to elemental damage
     Repelling ward: the creature is under the effect of Repelling ward for the duration of the effect

6th circle - DoomSLA
     Once per [Encounter], when cursing a target, you may call upon the full force of your abilities to doom the target. If the target fails the save against being cursed, they are [Stunned] for 1 round, [Battered] till the end of the encounter, and start  [Bleeding] and  [Burning]. A successful save means the target is merely [Slowed] for 1 [Round]. This cannot be used at the same time as She turned me into a newt! or Dark infliction.
    Curse now inflicts [Energy drained] 3 times when used.

7th circle- Visage of ultimate terrorSLA
   By calling upon your dark powers, you reveal such an atrocity to those around you that they are overwhelmed with fear. As a standard action, you force all enemies within [Close] range to make a will save  (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your KAM)  or [Cower] for 2 rounds.A successful save leaves the enemy [Shaken] instead.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:59:52 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Solo

• Mook
  • Sorcelator for hire
  • Art Aficionado Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Witch
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 09:03:27 PM »
KAM
Pardon?

I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:04:37 PM »
KAM
Pardon?
Key attribute modifier. Its used with True Mage.

Melchior

• Mook
  • Typo Hammer Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »
Curse:  Is there a stacking limit on this?  I feel there should be, especially for something as wide as "all d20 rolls", since those include the saving throws to prevent more for piling on.  -5?  -KAM?  Not certain.  Oh, and it probably needs a range.

Witches Brew:  I just feel like there should be an option to chuck the potion at someone, kinda like tossing explosives with the Demoman track.  Range attack, [Close] range, maybe a to-hit roll needed?

I would also argue about the ability tomake up a big cauldron of stuff to, say, poison a water supply or the like, but that might be more of a GM discretion thing.

Flying Broomstick:  Is this just a set-up to flight, or a would it work better as a special flying mount that you can summon as a move action?

She turned me into a newt:  Er, make a will save when the witch just hit you with a -2, and will continue hitting you with -2s?  This and Doom is why I think Curse needs a cap.  Two or three connections at higher levels, and the target looses most of its ability to fight back at all.

Regardless of what I state above, I do like the track (my witch takes Arcane Secrets, Discipline of the Crane, and Arcane Lore with the broom being a point-buy mount....)
Sincerely,

Melchior

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 10:58:48 PM »
Curse:  Is there a stacking limit on this?  I feel there should be, especially for something as wide as "all d20 rolls", since those include the saving throws to prevent more for piling on.  -5?  -KAM?  Not certain.  Oh, and it probably needs a range.

Witches Brew:  I just feel like there should be an option to chuck the potion at someone, kinda like tossing explosives with the Demoman track.  Range attack, [Close] range, maybe a to-hit roll needed?

I would also argue about the ability to make up a big cauldron of stuff to, say, poison a water supply or the like, but that might be more of a GM discretion thing.

Flying Broomstick:  Is this just a set-up to flight, or a would it work better as a special flying mount that you can summon as a move action?

She turned me into a newt:  Er, make a will save when the witch just hit you with a -2, and will continue hitting you with -2s?  This and Doom is why I think Curse needs a cap.  Two or three connections at higher levels, and the target looses most of its ability to fight back at all.

Regardless of what I state above, I do like the track (my witch takes Arcane Secrets, Discipline of the Crane, and Arcane Lore with the broom being a point-buy mount....)
Curse doesn't stack.  It does need a range though, you are right.
Pitching potions at things doesn't seem very witchlike.

The broomstick is meant to work like the vigilante's signature ride. It doesn't do anything for the ground speed, but it does have a higher fly speed. I think it needs some more, but I'm not sure what.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Pretty fun track.
Needs some clarification on if the flying broom is supernatural and if the potion is extrodinary, supernatural or spell like.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:11:49 PM »
Pretty fun track.
Needs some clarification on if the flying broom is supernatural and if the potion is extrodinary, supernatural or spell like.
Clarified.

Melchior

• Mook
  • Typo Hammer Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »
Curse doesn't stack.  It does need a range though, you are right.
Pitching potions at things doesn't seem very witchlike.

The broomstick is meant to work like the vigilante's signature ride. It doesn't do anything for the ground speed, but it does have a higher fly speed. I think it needs some more, but I'm not sure what.

No stacking at all with Curse?  Consider my worries retracted.  As for range.... most cursing witches I can think of seem to rely on visual cues to land the curse.  So I would actually go with [Medium] or [Long].

As for pitching potions, the ability seemed like a way to bottle Incantation, which means that is good for buffs and healing, not so much for damage and the like.  And I can at least see a witch throwing a potion at someone.  Still, the more I think about it, the more Demoman and possibly Combat Alchemist  would probably fill that roll.

The broomstick I "made" with the point-buy mount came out to:  Bonded, Hideaway, Flight (I gave up an extra Lesser Item for the extra Lesser Mount Property).  Something like that, 8-10HP per level instead of 13 like Vigilante, and the +15 feet should be fine, in my opinion.  And Bonded is not really needed.

Honestly, I did that to have a pumped-up Reliquary and the Relic Mount Property - Automatic Weapon lashed onto the broomstick.  Behold!  A remote-controlled self-sighting auto-attacking firebreathing broom!

I call it a funnel.   ;)
Sincerely,

Melchior

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Witch (1.0 update)
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 01:41:17 AM »
I have updated this to 1.0.

Regitnui

• Elite
  • Father of the Four
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 02:47:56 AM »
Witchand start  [Bleeding] and  [Bleeding].

I'm sure that's a typo. Do you mean [Bleeding] and [Burning]? Or do they get [Bleeding] inflicted twice?
Sebrica - The House of Corners
A Homebrew Campaign Setting

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 09:11:33 AM »
Witchand start  [Bleeding] and  [Bleeding].

I'm sure that's a typo. Do you mean [Bleeding] and [Burning]? Or do they get [Bleeding] inflicted twice?
Yeah, that was supposed to be burning, fixed

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 12:36:11 PM »
Added another option to 2nd circle to let this play nicely with SLA tracks as well as spellcasting.