Author Topic: The Collective: Clone Armies in a Track  (Read 2121 times)

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Problem Solver Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Collective: Clone Armies in a Track
« on: April 25, 2012, 12:32:31 PM »
DISCLAIMER: This is very much an experiment.  I have no idea how easy to abuse this is, but I suspect that there will be at least one major loophole that I've overlooked here.

Collectives have somehow found a way to clone themselves, creating a mystical or mechanical copy of their own body.  These bodies act in unison (usually...), using teamwork to bring down enemies.  As Collectives progress in level, they gain more and more duplicates, and those duplicates begin to grow more and more into separate beings.

--

The Collective

1st Circle – Duplicator (Su): With twenty minutes of meditation, mechanical tinkering, incantations, playing with a cardboard box, or some other process requiring focus, you may create or summon a perfect clone of yourself.  This clone looks identical to you (although it need not carry the same weapons, clothes, armor, or other items) and has all of your statistics.  You and your clone count as one character for all purposes, including wealth/number of items and number of actions.
Effectively, this clone counts as an extension of your own being into another square and share the same action pool.  For example, you could take a move action, followed by your clone taking a standard action and a swift action in a different square, but both of you could not take a standard action in the same round, because you draw from the same pool of actions.
Additionally, you may split movement and multiple attacks between your bodies.  For example, a first level Collective with a 30 ft move speed who is flurrying could make one attack from each body and then move both his bodies a total of 30 ft (split between the two in whatever way he wishes).
You and your clone share the same pool of hit points.  If one of you takes damage, the pool of hit points that you share decreases.  If one of you dies, both of you do.  If an effect (such as an attack, a healing spell, or paralysis) affects one of you, then it affects both of you.
If your clone moves out of [Medium] range of you, it immediately ceases to exist, leaving possessions behind, and causing you to be [Stunned] for one [Round].  That clone may only be brought back with another twenty minutes of focus in the same manner in which the clone was created.  Thus, it is important to designate which of you is the “original” at all times.
You gain one additional clone for each additional circle you have in this track, up to a maximum of 7 clones at 7th circle.
You are always telepathically communicating with all of your clones.

2nd Circle – Teamwork (Ex): You learn to cooperate with your other bodies, confusing and surrounding enemies.  If one of your clones targeted an opponent with an offensive action in the previous [Round], and you or another one of your clones targets the same opponent with an offensive action in the current [Round], you and all your clones gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls and AC against that opponent for the rest of the [Encounter].  This bonus does not stack with itself.

3rd Circle – Strength in Numbers (Ex): Your Teamwork bonus now increases by 1 for each [Round] after the second that you or your clones target the same opponent with offensive actions, to a maximum of your circles in this track.
Additionally, your clones may now move anywhere within [Long] range of you without disappearing, but a distance between you and one of your clones longer than [Long] range will still result in that clone disappearing and you being [Stunned] for one [Round].

4th Circle – Simultaneous Barrage (Ex): You may let loose a sudden flurry of attacks, one coming from each of your bodies.  Once per [Encounter] per 4 levels, as a standard action, you and all of your clones may make a single attack.  Each attack must be targeting the same opponent, and that opponent only.

5th Circle – Containment (Su): Your clones start to become more and more like individuals.  When you or one of your clones is affected by a containable condition (listed below), you may make a Will save (DC 10 + the level of the opponent who inflicted it) or limit the effect of that condition to whichever one of your bodies it was inflicted upon.
All of the following are containable conditions:
[Blinded], [Checked], [Confused], [Dazed], [Dazzled], [Deafened], [Entangled], [Fatigued], [Frightened], [Knocked down], [On fire], [Prone], [Revealed], [Shaken], and [Slowed].
Additionally, your clones may now move anywhere within [Extreme] range of you without disappearing, but a distance between you and one of your clones longer than [Extreme] range will still result in that clone disappearing and you being [Stunned] for one [Round].

6th Circle – Overwhelm (Su): You can use the mystical energies you used to create your clone bodies to release blasts of force. Once per [Encounter], as a standard action, you and all of your clones may simultaneously emit a burst of energy.  All opponents within [Close] range of each source of the emanation take damage equal to 3 x your character level, and must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your KOM) or be [Slowed] for one [Round].  The damage does not stack with itself, nor does the [Slow] effect.  After this burst of energy, you and all of your clones are [Fatigued] for 2 [Rounds].

7th Circle – Army of Seven (Su): Your extra bodies reinforce you, making you stronger and tougher, and have become almost like new individuals, separate from you.  Once per [Encounter], after taking a move or standard action, you may exchange a swift action for either an additional move action or an additional standard action.  This move or standard action must be taken by a body of yours other than the one that took your original move (or standard, respectively) action for the round.  You gain an extra 70 hit points (1 per two levels for each clone you have) and a +7 bonus on new saves granted to you by your Containment ability, and in addition to the containable conditions granted by your Containment ability, all of the following are now containable conditions:
[Battered], [Blown away], [Cowering], [Exhausted], [Flat-footed], [Nauseated], [Panicked], [Paralyzed], [Sickened], and [Stunned].
Additionally, your clones may now move any distance from you without disappearing.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:12:36 PM by Timeless Error »
Thanks to Aruius on GitP for creating my excellent avatar!

This space is dedicated to Nezzy, the noblest Roden of them all.  May he rest in peace and be undisturbed by toxic chemicals.

My Homebrew

--Timeless Error, Emerald Knight

Fako

• Sage
  • Minion
  • Scroll of Scribes Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Collective: Clone Armies in a Track
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 01:25:58 PM »
It's a really cool concept, but I don't think 7 bodies taking 6 (7 if ignoring 7th circle) turns to get in position is going to be horribly effective. Instead, I'd recommend allowing the Collective to split its actions among bodies, including parts of an action. So a single move action at level 1 would allow one body to move full speed, or two bodies to move half speed, or any difference in between, as long as it is less than or equal to their max move speed. Or a flurry would allow one body to make two attacks, or both bodies to make one attack.

Also, a few questions on the individual abilities:
2nd Circle - It provides a bonus until end of [Encounter], but it doesn't state if this bonus stacks with itself. 3rd circle clarifies an additional bonus and cap, but the wording on 2nd circle should be cleaned up a bit...

4th Circle - Does "single opponent" mean that all attacks target the same enemy, or that they can each target a different enemy, but the attack can't strike multiple enemies?

5th Circle - Considering the clones share an HP pool, the [Bleeding] condition being contained is going to cause a rather massive headache as to how it functions. Also, what save is used by Containment? It's currently unlisted...

6th Circle - Does [Close] range mean in [Close] range of the original? Or of any clone? Also, what happens if two clones are near the same enemy? Do they take the damage twice?

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Problem Solver Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »
It's a really cool concept, but I don't think 7 bodies taking 6 (7 if ignoring 7th circle) turns to get in position is going to be horribly effective. Instead, I'd recommend allowing the Collective to split its actions among bodies, including parts of an action. So a single move action at level 1 would allow one body to move full speed, or two bodies to move half speed, or any difference in between, as long as it is less than or equal to their max move speed. Or a flurry would allow one body to make two attacks, or both bodies to make one attack.
Splitting its actions among bodies is how it works already (fairly explicitly, too...my example has the original taking a move action and the clone taking a standard).  It's a good idea to include partial actions, though.  I'll add it in.

Also, a few questions on the individual abilities:
2nd Circle - It provides a bonus until end of [Encounter], but it doesn't state if this bonus stacks with itself. 3rd circle clarifies an additional bonus and cap, but the wording on 2nd circle should be cleaned up a bit...
Will do.

4th Circle - Does "single opponent" mean that all attacks target the same enemy, or that they can each target a different enemy, but the attack can't strike multiple enemies?
All attacks target the same enemy.

5th Circle - Considering the clones share an HP pool, the [Bleeding] condition being contained is going to cause a rather massive headache as to how it functions. Also, what save is used by Containment? It's currently unlisted...
Whoops...I'll go fix both of those.  It was supposed to be Will.

6th Circle - Does [Close] range mean in [Close] range of the original? Or of any clone? Also, what happens if two clones are near the same enemy? Do they take the damage twice?
[Close] range of the original, and the damage does not stack.

Thanks!  That was very helpful.  I typed it in a hurry, and I can see now that quite a bit of my language was unclear.  I'm fixing everything now.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:43:47 PM by Timeless Error »

This space is dedicated to Nezzy, the noblest Roden of them all.  May he rest in peace and be undisturbed by toxic chemicals.

My Homebrew

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:44:40 PM »
Question: If multiple clones are in an AoE, you make one save. But, is the damage you take multiplied by the number of "you"s hit?
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »
Question: If multiple clones are in an AoE, you make one save. But, is the damage you take multiplied by the number of "you"s hit?

No, it is not, because the Collective still counts as an individual being (and, in effect, is simply occupying multiple squares at once).

My Homebrew