Author Topic: Juicer  (Read 6398 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Juicer
« on: April 26, 2012, 04:00:42 AM »
Juicer

A juicer uses potent drug cocktails to enhance their combat abilities. These drugs make them fearsome combatants, but have debilitating side effects, and a juicer must be careful not to overdose. The method of delivering the drugs can vary-some pop pills, others  use injections, some have devices to automatically feed in the drugs, some even use magical potions or runes to channel magic, or even learn how to have their own body produce the chemicals. The effect is the same- Short term boosts in power, followed by a burnout. All drugs are Ex unless marked otherwise

Circle 1- Drug use
    A Juicer may spend a swift action to take a dose of drugs. Each drug has an initial effect, a crash effect, and an overdose effect. The initial effect occurs immediately, and last 2 [round] +1 [round] per 5 levels, to a maximum of 5 rounds at 20th level. After this effect, they suffer the crash effect for 2 rounds. Using a drug a second time when under the initial effect immediately causes the overdose effect. Using a drug while in the crash period runs the risk of overdose, but will immediately end the crash effect and produce the normal effect again. The juicer has a 50% chance of suffering the overdose effect.
   'Roids – 'Roids boost your strength and ferocity.
   Initial effect: you gain a +1 fury bonus per circle to  attack, damage, and athletics.
        Crash:  You take a -1 penalty to attack, damage, and athletics for every circle of juicer you have.
        Overdose: You lose control of your strength. You get a -1 penalty to attack for every circle of juicer you have, +2 fury bonus to damage for every circle of juicer until the end of the encounter.

Mentats – Mentats increase your mental functioning.
        Initial effect: You gain a +1 bonus per circle to all knowledge skills
        Crash: You lose the ability to make knowledge checks, or use spell-like abilities and spells
        Overdose: You see everything; the answers to the universe are clear before your eyes- or so you think. You are [staggered] by this knowledge for the rest of the encounter.

Circle 2 – Jacked up – This potent drug cocktail to improve your reflexes
       Initial effect: you gain a +1 deflection  bonus to AC for every circle of juicer you have, and a+3 bonus to reflex saves.
       Crash: You are [flat footed]
       Overdose:  You are [blind] for the rest of the encounter

Painkillers – Painkillers help take the edge off
        Initial effect: You gain 3 temp hp/level and a +3 bonus to fort saves
        Crash: You gain [Vulnerability] to all damage
         Overdose: You are rendered [Unconscious] for the remainder of the encounter

Circle 3 –  Adrenaline – Adrenaline allows you to move faster
         Initial effect: You gain the benefits of the [haste] spell
         Crash: You are [slowed]
         Overdose: you are [Paralyzed] by a seizure for the rest of the [encounter]

PsychoactivesSu- These drugs expand your minds capabilities
         Initial effect: You become telepathic, and can communicate telepathically with any creature in [Close] range. If you could already communicate with that creature telepathically, the range you can do so increases by one range band, or triples if range bands are not applicable. People must make a will save (DC 10+1/2 level+your charisma modifier) to preven your from hearing their telekenetic communications.
       Crash: You are [Deafened] and cannot hear telepathic communications by any means.
        Overdose: You are overwhelmed by extra sensory information, and are [Nauseated] for the rest of the encounter.

Circle 4 – Tranquilizers – You can take controlled amount of tranquilizers to focus your mind.
          Initial effect: You gain a +3 bonus to will saves, [immunity] to fear, and if you make a will save against an effect that allows a will save for a partial effect, you ignore lesser effect as well.
          Crash: You are [Shaken], and take a -3 penalty on will saves.
          Overdose- You start tripping out. You are [Confused] for the rest of the encounter.

Rockab-  Rockab increases the hardness of your skin, allowing you to become more resilient
         effect- you gain the effects of stoneskin
         crash- you gain [vulnerability] to all damage
         overdose – You are [Petrified] for the rest of the [encounter]

Circle 5- Drug resistance -
         You have become inured to the harmful effects of your drugs. The duration of the crash effect is reduced to 1 round, and once per encounter you can negate the overdose effect.

Circle 6-  Sight of a thousand eyes -  You utilize a drug to expand your awareness
          Initial effect: You gain ghostwise sight out to 10ft per level,a +3 to perception checks and awareness in this area, and the benefits of the Sniper feat.
          Crash: You take a -5 penalty to perception checks and awareness
          Overdose- Your are [blind] for the rest of the encounter
Zen BlendSu The Zen blend is an extremely rare blend of exotic drugs that allows one to reach a state of perfect zen
           Initial effect: You gain a flight speed equal to your land speed, and you turn [ethereal]. You may stop being ethereal as a swift, and resume the effect with another swift
           Crash: you are unable to concentrate, and rendered [exhausted] and unable to utilize any spells, spell-likes, or supernatural abilities.
           Overdose: You cease to care about the outside world. You are [ethereal] and may not take any actions for the rest of the encounter.

Circle 7 – Perfect blend
             You learn techniques to blend your drugs together. You may now administer 2 drugs at the same time whenever you take a dose.

Spoiler
Comments on the design
The intended dynamic is boost then crash. Overdose effects are severe and meant to be avoided. They are also diverse so it is hard to simply become immune to them.

Feat: Reactive drugs
requirement:Juicer track
Effect: Before the first round of combat, you may spend an immediate action to take a dose of drugs.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:44:10 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Juicer
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 01:37:44 PM »
When you overdose do you benifet from the overdose and the normal effect at the same time or just the overdose effect?
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 01:52:53 PM »
When you overdose do you benifet from the overdose and the normal effect at the same time or just the overdose effect?
Just the overdose.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 02:03:28 PM »
So much great homebrew, if only my group wasn't so against doing a homebrew campaign.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Narsis

• Elite
  • Pirate Robot Ninja Dragon
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »
Just the overdose.

my only concern in this case is that whenever you overdose, you lose that particular drug for the rest of the encounter.

what happens if you are immune to the overdose effect?  or if you remove the effect after it's been applied?  then do you get use of the drug back?

also it seems to me that it's easier to become immune to, or remove, the overdose effects then the crash effects, making the crash effects more potent.

lastly the drug effects seem to be tailored to boosting other tracks.  that's all fine and dandy, but it makes the track feel like it's not really doing much.  and the drugs are so diverse that there are some a person may never use simply because they don't benefit their character at all.
Awesome Legend pally avatar by Prime32

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »
Just the overdose.

my only concern in this case is that whenever you overdose, you lose that particular drug for the rest of the encounter.

what happens if you are immune to the overdose effect?  or if you remove the effect after it's been applied?  then do you get use of the drug back?
Overdosing is a bad thing. Being immune to the overdose effect may keep it from debilitating you, but losing access to that drug for the encounter still means it has a penalty.Overdoses are something you really want to avoid. Basically, you should probably never take a drug while it is still active, and you should be extremely wary of taking a drug while it is crashing. When you get the drug resistance you can be more adventurous with removing the crash.
also it seems to me that it's easier to become immune to, or remove, the overdose effects then the crash effects, making the crash effects more potent.
The crash effects just last for a round or two, and are a minor setback, while the overdose effects effectively remove you from the rest of the encounter without treatment.
lastly the drug effects seem to be tailored to boosting other tracks.  that's all fine and dandy, but it makes the track feel like it's not really doing much. 
Its a buffing track, what do you expect? Though I don't see how "Boosting your attacks, hasting yourself, getting temp hp and damage reduction" doesn't feel like doing much. And because all of these effects are transient, you will feel the difference. These don't become a static boost that is simple rolled into your character, they are all a tangible change.
and the drugs are so diverse that there are some a person may never use simply because they don't benefit their character at all.
Better to be diverse enough that some people never use some than so specific that only a certain character type can use it.

ConstableBrew

• Ranger
  • Mook
  • Undersecretary of Agriculture
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »
Juicer may be copyright protected by Palladium Books.

ConstableBrew

• Ranger
  • Mook
  • Undersecretary of Agriculture
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 02:34:49 PM »
Also, this track is great.

There could be a juicer specific feat to use an immediate action for the first [Round] of combat, before the Juicer's turn, allowing a drug to be activated right away.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 02:42:18 PM »
I got the term from science fiction books.
Also, this track is great.

There could be a juicer specific feat to use an immediate action for the first [Round] of combat, before the Juicer's turn, allowing a drug to be activated right away.
That sounds good. I'll add it.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »
They do seem to have a trademark on it. Any ideas for alternative names?

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Magic 8-Ball Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 02:57:06 PM »
The Addict?
The Mixer?
The Dosed?

AugustNight

• Mook
  • A fool among wisemen
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 03:58:18 PM »
The Subject.
The Variable.
The Client.
The Apothecary.
The Ampoulephile.
The Ego Solvent Savant.
The Treated.
The Chemurai.
Beware a goat's front-side, a donkey's back-side, and a fool's every-side. ~Yiddish proverb

Narsis

• Elite
  • Pirate Robot Ninja Dragon
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »
Just the overdose.

Overdosing is a bad thing. Being immune to the overdose effect may keep it from debilitating you, but losing access to that drug for the encounter still means it has a penalty.Overdoses are something you really want to avoid. Basically, you should probably never take a drug while it is still active, and you should be extremely wary of taking a drug while it is crashing. When you get the drug resistance you can be more adventurous with removing the crash.

alright that makes sense.

The crash effects just last for a round or two, and are a minor setback, while the overdose effects effectively remove you from the rest of the encounter without treatment.

i was mostly concerned that if you could somehow remove the overdose effect.  but since you can't it makes more sense.

lastly the drug effects seem to be tailored to boosting other tracks.  that's all fine and dandy, but it makes the track feel like it's not really doing much. 
Its a buffing track, what do you expect? Though I don't see how "Boosting your attacks, hasting yourself, getting temp hp and damage reduction" doesn't feel like doing much. And because all of these effects are transient, you will feel the difference. These don't become a static boost that is simple rolled into your character, they are all a tangible change.

i guess i'd just need to see the track in play.  it just seems kinda meh.

and the drugs are so diverse that there are some a person may never use simply because they don't benefit their character at all.
Better to be diverse enough that some people never use some than so specific that only a certain character type can use it.

so would you then advocate that purely melee focused, or ranged focused, or magic focused, etc. tracks are too specific and need to be diversified?

it just feels like the track doesnt have a particular focus, but rather is a bunch of things all squashed together.
Awesome Legend pally avatar by Prime32

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 05:44:39 PM »
so would you then advocate that purely melee focused, or ranged focused, or magic focused, etc. tracks are too specific and need to be diversified?

it just feels like the track doesnt have a particular focus, but rather is a bunch of things all squashed together.
Its a track that is not based on being melee or ranged or magic. Its about using chemical augementations, which  can be used in a variety of ways. If anything, I'd say it should have more versatility to help it support other styles better. The concept is not "I am bane, and pump chemicals into myself  to be stronger at smashing things!". The concept is "I use chemicals to augement myself". Yes, some of that is getting strong and smashing things, some of it is taking drugs to improve your reflexes, some of it is using drugs to increase your mind. It is a focused track, but its not focused on one combat style. If you don't want to use certain drugs with your characters, don't spend actions on them. 
Compare it to the defensive tracks. How much theme is ther eto Path of the Ancestors or Discipline of the dragon? They feel much more generic to me. This has a clear identity.

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 11:17:05 PM »
Looking back to this, with the removal of [Staggered], what goes in Mentat's OD spot? [Slowed] is already occupied...