Author Topic: Tattooed warrior(1.0 update)  (Read 5826 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Tattooed warrior(1.0 update)
« on: April 26, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »
Tattooed Warrior

A tattooed warrior has various runes, sigils, and glyphs tattooed onto his body in order to give him power. Runes provide passive buffs, and are relatively simple. Sigils also provide passive abilities, but are much more complex than Runes. Gylphs are as complex as Sigils, and allow the user to invoke magical effects. At each circle, you may get 2 runes, 1 sigil, or 1 glyph from that circle or a lower circle.
Runes and sigils act as if they were spells cast on you at the beginning of the [Scene]. Glyphs grant spell-like abilities.
If a tattooo is dispelled, it ceases to function until the end of the [Encounter], at which point it acts as if it was cast on you again, unless stated otherwise by the ability.
Runes and Sigils cannot be shared with Bastion.

Circle 1:
   Angelic Sigil- You permanently gain the effects if the incantation version of Bless
   Glyph of the Archer – You may use Magic Missile at will as a standard action. You may select Rune in addition to this Glyph.
   Rune of endurance – You permanently gain the effects of the Endure Elements spell
   Mind Rune– You permanently gain the effects of the World-Mind spell. You may select the allies to be linked to once per [Scene].
   Rune of Tongues – You permanently gain the effects of Comprehend Languages

Circle 2:
   Rune of Resistance – You permanently gain the effect of Resist Elements for an element of your choice. You may take this tattoo multiple times, choosing a different element each time.
   Rune of Power – You permanently gain the effect of Nature's Power.
   Rune of the piercing eye – You permanently gain the effect of See Invisibility
   Cat eye Rune – You permanently gain the effect of Darkvision.
   Rune of Flame – choose an element from flame blade's list. Any weapon you wield may have the effect of flame blade cast on it with that element.

Circle 3
   Rabbit Sigil  – You permanently gain the effect of Haste
   Glyph of Disruption- You may cast Dispel Magic once per [Encounter] as a swift action
   Rune of Archaic Vision – You permanently gain the effect of Arcane Sight
   Rune of Life  - You permanently gain the effects of the Death Ward spell
   Eagle Rune – You permanently gain the effects of the Fly spell

Circle 4:
   Unbound Sigil – You are permanently under the effects of Freedom of Movement
   Sigil of Detection – You are permanently under the effect of the Blindsight spell
   Mountain Sigil – You are permanently under the effect of the Stoneskin spell. The hp pool refreshes each [Encounter]
   Glyph of the Wanderer – You may cast Dimension Door once per [Encounter] as a move action
   Cloud Rune – You are permanently under the effect of the Windwalk spell
        Anchor Rune –  Whenever you would move as the result of an offensive action an opponent takes, you may choose to move half the distance instead, minimum 0.

Circle 5:
   Sigil of Truth – You permanently gain the effects of the True Seeing spell
   Crane Glyph - You may cast Teleport once per [Scene] as a standard action
   Hammer Rune– You permanently gain the effects of the Fist of the Earth spell. If you have a flame rune, you may replace it with another 2nd circle rune.
   Rune of Extension – You may elect to have a spell with a duration cast upon you last longer than normal. A spell that lasts for less than one [Encounter] will last for the [Encounter], a spell that lasts the [Encounter] lasts for the [Scene], and a spell that lasts for the [Scene] lasts for the [Quest]. A rune of extension may only extend one spell at a time.

Circle 6:
   Oak Sigil - You permanently gain the effects of the Heart of Oak spell
        Bulwark Sigil – You are permanently under the effect of the Adamant skin spell. The hp pool refreshes each [Encounter] Special: If you already have a Mountain Sigil, it will be improved to form a Bulwark Sigil. You may select new tattoos for 4th circle.
   Greater Glyph of Disruption - You may use Greater Dispel Magic once per [Encounter] as a swift action
   Glyph of Restoration- You may use Greater Restoration on yourself once per [Encounter] as a swift action, even if an effect that would be removed would prevent you from using your swift action.
        Sacred Rune- There is a continual Hallow spell originating from your position. This moves with you.
        Rune of Mending-You gain [Fast healing] equal to your level

Circle 7:
   Sigil of the Prophet-You permanently gain the effect of Foresight. The effect comes back next [Encounter] if discharged.
   Sigil of Retaliation- You permanently gain the effect of Spell Turning. The spell limit refreshes each [Encounter].
   Phoenix Sigil- Once per [Scene], if you are killed, you are restored to life with full hit points one round after your death. You can choose not to return if you do not desire to.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:32:41 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

AugustNight

• Mook
  • A fool among wisemen
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Tattooed warrior
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:54:38 PM »
Not familiar enough with legend to figure out anything about balance, but you might color code the sigils, runes, and glyphs for easy distinction.

Beware a goat's front-side, a donkey's back-side, and a fool's every-side. ~Yiddish proverb

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »
Not familiar enough with legend to figure out anything about balance, but you might color code the sigils, runes, and glyphs for easy distinction.
Alright, They are color coded.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:05:26 PM »
If you advance to circle three can you choose tattoos from circle one?
Can you choose the same tattoo twice for a different elemental resistance?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:06:59 PM by Djtooth »
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 03:15:51 PM »
If you advance to circle three can you choose tattoos from circle one?
Can you choose the same tattoo twice for a different elemental resistance?
Actually, I can't think of a good reason why not.
And since this would allow you to take elemental resistance twice, I will add in a clause to allow it.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Tattooed warrior(1.0 update)
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »
I've adjusted some of the tattoos to be more in line with 1.0

turalisj

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 01:43:18 AM »
 Can you use the Incantation effects of spells with spells granted from the tattoos?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 01:47:30 AM »
Only if it says so.

jared71

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Spell Casting Guide
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 01:47:49 AM »
Looks like a fun track to get some encounter buffs as lasting effects or to swift action some spells like dispel magic.

Rune choices
It would be nice to have a few more rune choices especially at higher levels.  I can see a warrior with Adamant Skin (similar to stone skin).  I could also see a rune of healing - use restoration or healing spells but they can only target yourself.  Regenerative aura could fit in there too  (Shaman 4).

Balance:

Arcane sight is a scene buff and haste is an encounter buff.  Arcane sight should be a rune instead of a sigil.

Circle 3
   Sigil of Archaic Vision – You permanently gain the effect of Arcane Sight
   Rabbit Sigil  – You permanently gain the effect of Haste

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 02:48:49 AM »
you are right, I missed that it changed when I was updating things.
I'll try to come up with some more runes

Zaq

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 03:56:08 AM »
I feel like it's worth mentioning that permanent Arcane Sight is all of Bag of Tricks C4, while this is half of your C3. (The other half of your C3 could be as much as the entirety of Crane C3 or Air Elemental C3, for what that's worth . . . and Celestial and Demon can also spend the entirety of their C3s on the same benefit.)  Now, I feel like Bag of Tricks is kind of underwhelming in a lot of ways, but this is still a pretty drastic increase, comparatively. Any thoughts on that matter?
I do verb now and again, but gerunding is my real passion.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 10:27:36 AM »
I feel like it's worth mentioning that permanent Arcane Sight is all of Bag of Tricks C4, while this is half of your C3. (The other half of your C3 could be as much as the entirety of Crane C3 or Air Elemental C3, for what that's worth . . . and Celestial and Demon can also spend the entirety of their C3s on the same benefit.)  Now, I feel like Bag of Tricks is kind of underwhelming in a lot of ways, but this is still a pretty drastic increase, comparatively. Any thoughts on that matter?
acrobatic adept establishes that a permanent haste is a reasonable 3rd circle effect, and that is a 3rd circle, encounter level power. Arcane sight is a 1st circle scene buff. a spellcaster can take it as a third of their 3rd circle's spells, and use a sixth of their spell slots to activate it, and they can share it if need be. Tattooed warrior is designed against spells.
also note that the flight isn't as good as normal flight. For one, being the fly spell, it can be dispelled. And unlike a typical fly spell, you won't have the option of recasting it. For another, it doesn't work if you have another instance of flight, so it can't be used to get a speed boost like the others. These limitations are why spellcasters can get it so cheaply, again for a single spell known and a spell slot to activate it.

jared71

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Spell Casting Guide
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »
Zaq - "bag of tricks" has many poor circles.   What makes it good is the first circle power that let's you omit squares from a spell.  If you start comparing Judgement C3 against other tracks they will look bad too.  The whole track has be looked at.  All these abilities below can be obtained via spells and with more flexibility.  The only thing this track has better than a spell caster is swift action spells or encounter level buffs as scene level buffs.

Mystify - for creating more runes - I suggest creating more glyph's but having them be a standard action instead of a swift.  Give them the same you can have two per circle cost as you did for the Glyph of the Archer.

Example:
C2 - Glyph of restoration - You may use restoration, lesser at will as a standard action.  You may only target yourself with this ability.  You may select Rune in addition to this Glyph.

C3 - Glyph of Minor Healing - You may use "Cure Serious Wounds" at will as a standard action.  You may only target yourself with this ability.  You may select Rune in addition to this Glyph.

C4 - Glyph of Healing - You may use "Cure Critical Wounds" 1/encounter as a swift action.  You may only target yourself with this ability.

C5 - Glyph of Greater Healing - You may use "Heal" at will as a standard action.  You may only target yourself with this ability.  You may select Rune in addition to this Glyph.

Perhaps spells at higher circles as swifts.
C7 - Glyph of power Healing - You may use "Heal" 1/encounter as a swift action.  You may only target yourself with this ability.  You may select Rune in addition to this Glyph.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:28:15 PM by jared71 »

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 10:44:45 PM »
I don't really want a lot of healing in the track. I included a couple of small things, but its not what the track is meant to be doing.

Zaq

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »
There really needs to be some cleanup in the wording if you want being dispellable to be a balancing point. These aren't SLAs, since SLAs are always activated (in the section where it describes each ability type, Ex and Su have clauses about sometimes being passive, but SLAs have no such provision; furthermore, there are no examples of passive SLAs in the game), and Su abilities by definition cannot be dispelled. You would have to add language to the effect of "All abilities from this track are supernatural. Unlike most supernatural abilities, abilities from this track are subject to any [Dispelling] effect that would affect a spell-like ability as though they were spell-like abilities, though they are not considered to be spell-like abilities for any other purpose. If a [Dispelling] effect ends a supernatural ability from this track, the ability becomes functional again at the end of the [Encounter]."

I still don't entirely agree that being dispellable is enough of a balance point for C3 of this track being equivalent to Bag of Tricks C4 + Crane/Celestial/Demon/Air C3 (and as written, I don't see why flight from this track wouldn't stack with any flight you get later, since the "if you do not already have it" {my emphasis} clause in the Fly spell wouldn't retroactively remove this track if you get flight later--and if you had flight before, then you obviously wouldn't pick the Eagle Rune). Arcane Sight not C1; it is a C3 spell, a Greater item, or a C4 Su ability. I understand that the design philosophy here is that you get the constant benefit of either one [Encounter]-length spell or two [Scene]-length spells, but when you end up with really lopsided circles like that, I raise an eyebrow.

If nothing else, keep Arcane Sight as C3 (Bag of Tricks is problematic anyway), remove the dispellable clause, and bump flight to C4, using Combat Alchemist as your balance point (Brews, being Ex, aren't dispellable, and Taurus Cardinalis expends at most 1/11 of your Brews for the [Scene]. And it can be shared) for "undispellable flight, if I choose it, plus something else I choose." (Ninja C4 also has "undispellable flight plus something else," and while it's kind of sketchy, so does Just Blade C4.)
I do verb now and again, but gerunding is my real passion.