Author Topic: Just Shield  (Read 2652 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Just Shield
« on: April 28, 2012, 10:58:30 AM »
Just Shield

1st Circle
Grim AegisSU: As a move action, you may form a number of shields equal to your Just Shield Circles of your choice out of pure energy. You may form 1 shield as a swift action or as part of another swift action (meaning you can summon as many shields in a turn as you have swift actions) and may never have more shields than your Just Shield circles. Select either normal shields or tower shields; this choice is permanent. These shields are treated collectively as only 1 normal shield of their type. You can expend any number of shields to provide [Damage Reduction] equal to (Level * the number of shields you applied) against any 1 attack against you. When a shield is expended, it disappears. You gain the regular shield benefits so long as at least 1 shield remains.

2nd Circle
You gain one of the following abilities, based on whether you chose normal shields or tower shields respectively:
Retribution: By expending an additional shield when reducing targeted damage, you can inflict damage equal to (Level + KOM + KDM) to the source of that damage.
Palladium: By expending a shield, you can treat the [Covered] or [Fully Concealed] statuses granted by your shield as applying to all sides for 1 round.

3rd Circle
RetreatSLA: By expending a shield, you may teleport 5 Feet per Level in any direction.

4th Circle
You gain one of the following abilities, based on whether you chose normal shields or tower shields respectively:
Reversal: By expending 2 shields when reducing targeted damage, you can cause a duplicate attack/spell (same rolls) to strike back at the enemy's location when they launched their attack.
Fortification: While [Fully Concealed] by your shield, the damage reduction each of your shields offers is increased by your Just Shield circles.

5th Circle
RegroupSLA: By expending 1 shield per ally, you may teleport each ally 5 Feet per Level in any direction.

6th Circle
Unaffected: By expending 3 shields, you become immune to all status effects for 1 round.
Impenetrable: By expending 3 shields, you may negate an AoE you are in for 1 round.

7th Circle
Invincibility: By expending 7 shields, you can become immune to either elemental or non-elemental damage sources for 1 round.

~

I'm definitely not sure how balanced or well-worded this is, so I'd appreciate any constructive criticism you may have.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:12:22 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Just Shield
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:39:34 AM »
1st Circle
Grim AegisSU: As a standard action, you may form a number of shields equal to your Just Shield Circles of your choice out of pure energy. You may form 1 shield as a swift action and may never have more shields than you can form in a move action. Select either a normal shield or tower shield; this choice is permanent. These shields are treated collectively as only 1 normal shield of their type. As a free action, you can expend any number of shields to provide [Damage Reduction] equal to (Level * the number of shields you applied) against any attack against you).
[/quote]
This is inconsistent. You form shields with your standard, but you put a limit on it based on how many you can form as a move(which seems to be 0,as you don't have a move action).
Your parentheses don't seem to be in the right place.
The intent seems to be that when you are attacked, you can expend shields to reduce the damage from the attack. However, making it a free action makes that impossible as you can't take free actions when its not your turn. It should probably be  a non-action.

Retreat and regroup are SLAs you use when reducing  damage- which means you are likely next to an enemy and will provoke. And since they are in response to enemy actions, you A. can't spend a swift to charge just blade with it, since its not on your turn and B. even if you could, it would be an escalated action cost. So just blade isn't an option to worm out of the attack op. Though, that may be important for balance. Being able to teleport  out of range when you are hit would make it very difficult to kill you. Even then, you teleport on the first hit, and they get an attack op, and you can hold the enemy to a max of two hits. And unless there are enough of them positioned so you can't teleport out of all of their attack ranges, you can effectively hold them to two attacks a round- attacks which you are applying heavy damage reduction to. and since you are teleporting 200ft, possibly taking allies with you, it would seem to become fairly common that you can make it essentially impossible to pin you down in melee. This ability means that enemies effectively need A. medium+ ranged attacks to keep attacking you or B. attack you with magic, so they are only taking 1 attack in the first place. And this track is very good at dealing with that  kind of magical attack anyways.

Considering the high volume of shields that are required to do much, the swift action to gain 1 shield is not extremely useful, and spending your standard actions to get shields seems a bit much. You shouldn't be shutting down your offensive capabilities in order to have your defensive abilities work.

My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
The problems with Circle 1 were typos/mistakes that have now been fixed.

I changed Retreat to be usable any time.
Note that you can only teleport 100 feet; your allies are the ones that can be relocated farther (and I changed regroup to include yourself).

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do about shield acquisition. I thought about making forming max take a move action, but that seems a bit too powerful...
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 12:13:28 PM »
The problems with Circle 1 were typos/mistakes that have now been fixed.

I changed Retreat to be usable any time.
Note that you can only teleport 100 feet; your allies are the ones that can be relocated farther (and I changed regroup to include yourself).

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do about shield acquisition. I thought about making forming max take a move action, but that seems a bit too powerful...
You are your own ally.
If your defensive ability is so powerful it needs your standard action to balance it, then your defensive ability needs to be toned down.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:14:06 PM »
At the same time, that's regenerating all your defensive power. I can see letting all shields be summoned at the start of battle, but such massive replacement shouldn't be so easy. Not to mention, you can get multiple swift actions per turn. Maybe I'll let the re-summoning of one be usable as part of a swift action.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »
At the same time, that's regenerating all your defensive power. I can see letting all shields be summoned at the start of battle, but such massive replacement shouldn't be so easy. Not to mention, you can get multiple swift actions per turn. Maybe I'll let the re-summoning of one be usable as part of a swift action.
But you can easily be spending all 7 shields in one round. If you are attacked with a single full round, you could spend most of them just giving yourself basic level in damage reduction. Spending a swift to reduce one attack by your level in damage is kinda weak. And many characters have a ton of things to do with their swifts. A shield is not worth a swift- compare Force of wills stem the tide. An immediate action, and it can automatically half the damage. Someone throws a basic 1d6/level spell, averaging 3.5 damage per level, and it blocks half, 1.75 / level. Your shield only blocks 1/level.  Even at level 20, a single sword strike should be doing more than 40 damage, so getting 20 reduction is worse off. Or look at mercy. Its one per encounter as part of an immediate action, and it prevents 3x level to any ally. And by circle 4, there are effects that reduce ALL spells by 2hp/level with no action cost whatsoever, and effects  that reduce all damage by 1hp/level.

At low levels, getting one shield for a swift works fine. You can't have many shields anyways. But by 3rd or 4th circle, swifts to give yourself a shield at a time will decline in usefulness. Perhaps around that point allow a move action to refresh a larger amount.

The current design also locks out the obvious just blade/just sheild combo. Just blade wants to channel with swifts and attack with standards. Just shield is currently hungry for either. In fact, I would suggest putting the move action recharge on 3rd circle just so it lines up with just blades learning to channel. Move the action cost from swifts to moves right as just blades start caring about their swifts. In fact, I would try to create some greater synergies between the two- have some more spell-likes powered by shields that they could channel. Not so much that  it screams "THESE MUST GO TOGETHER!", but enough that it is appealing.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 06:29:28 PM »
Okay, I see your point, so now all can be restored w/ a move action. Since you gain teleportation at 3rd circle and you naturally get 2 swifts (i think), that encourages using your move action for restoring your shield and teleporting to move.

My original intention was to have shield and blade not synergize, encouraging players to use one or the other. However, I can understand why many would want the combination (Imagine power armor, smiting, or elementalist as the other 2 tracks!).

Let me make sure I understand what you're saying. You want SLAs from this track to be useful for the Blade's channeling, right? I'm just making sure you aren't talking about channeling an SLA into a shield itself as that is completely against my design.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 11:05:22 PM »
Okay, I see your point, so now all can be restored w/ a move action. Since you gain teleportation at 3rd circle and you naturally get 2 swifts (i think), that encourages using your move action for restoring your shield and teleporting to move.

My original intention was to have shield and blade not synergize, encouraging players to use one or the other. However, I can understand why many would want the combination (Imagine power armor, smiting, or elementalist as the other 2 tracks!).

Let me make sure I understand what you're saying. You want SLAs from this track to be useful for the Blade's channeling, right? I'm just making sure you aren't talking about channeling an SLA into a shield itself as that is completely against my design.
Right, SLAs that are useful for channeling.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 02:04:59 AM »
Just wondering does the character hold the shield(s) taking one hand and forcing them to use a [guardian] or are the magical shields floating around you, or surrounding you allowing you to use main weapons and gain the shields benefit. If it does take a hand slot maybe make it apart of first circle to allow you to still use non [guardian] weapons?
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »
Yes, you've got a point. I'll probably make it not take up your hand, though I'll have to think about balance issues. I've left it very ambiguous as to how the shields work for maximum fluff, but I can understand how leaving it that unspecified can be confusing.
I personally view either an 7-segmented cylindrical wall around you, a 7 pie-slice shield hovering over your hand, a 7-part hex hovering over your hand, or even just a single shield that fades in opacity as it loses shields.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew