Author Topic: Heavy weapon expert(1.0 update)  (Read 4654 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Heavy weapon expert(1.0 update)
« on: May 07, 2012, 01:49:35 AM »
Heavy weapon expert
   Abilities in this track are EX, but provokes attacks of opportunity. All DCs are (10+1/2 level + KOM). Each ability is thematically linked to a certain type of weapon; you may choose to select abilities focused around that weapon, but if you choose multiple abilities it is assumed you can switch between the various weapons fast enough to be insignificant.
If you are wielding a [Brutal] weapon, you may add the extra damage to abilities from this track. If you are wielding  a [Magnum] weapon, then abilities from this track treat an opponent's [Damage reduction] or [Resistance] to damage of the type or types dealt by that ability as being 2 lower when using those abilities. This increases by 1 per four levels of the wielder. You may apply an item bonus to attack from your weapon to attacks made as part of abilities from this track.

Circle 1 – Old Faithful
   Choose one of the following ability. You may use it at will as a standard action. At 4th circle, you may use it as a swift action once per [Round]. Choose either an elemental damage type ([Fire], [Cold], [Acid], or [Electricity]) or physical damage. All abilities in this track that specify rocket damage deal damage of this type.

Rocket Launcher: You fire a rocket at a point within [Medium] range. This creates a 5ft radius spread, and deals 1d6/level+KOM rocket damage to all creatures in the blast. At 5th circle this increases to a 10ft radius. At 7th circle this increases to a 15ft radius. A reflex save halves the damage.

Flame Thrower: You fire out a wedge of flame that effects all creatures in the area. You create a wedge with a length of  20 ft + 10ft per circle of this track you possess originating from you that deals 1d4/level +  KOM energy damage with the  [Fire] descriptor to all creatures in the area. The targets must make a reflex save or start [Burning]

Minigun: You fire a brief, concentrated burst of bullets into your target. Create a line with a length of [Medium] range that deals  1d6 physical damage per level you posses + your KOM physical damage to every target in the area. They may make a reflex save for half damage.

Circle 2 – Brace yourself.
   These attacks are more powerful, and require you to brace yourself as part of a move action before firing. Being braced lasts until you attack or move. Pick one of the following abilities. You may use it once per [Encounter] per 4 levels as a standard action.

Stunning missile: You fire a special rocket that hits with more force. You fire a rocket at a point within [Medium] range.  This creates a 5ft radius spread, and deals 1d6/level+KOM rocket damage to all creatures in the blast, and causes them to be [Blinded] and [Deafened] for two rounds. A reflex save halves the damage and negates the [Deafened] and reduces the [Blinded] to [Dazzled]

Napalm:  You fire out a wedge of flame that effects all creatures in the area. You create a wedge with a length of  20 ft + 10ft per circle of this track you possess originating from you that lasts till the end of the [Encounter]. Opponents in the wedge at the start of their turn take your level in fire damage and start [Burning]. A reflex save  negates the [Burning] condition.

Sweeping shot: You sweep your minigun across the battlefield. This deals 1d6/level [physical] damage to every target in a line up to  30ft long, +10ft per level,  existing entirely within [Medium] range. Any square in the line that you lack line of effect to is excluded from the area. A reflex save halves the damage.

Circle 3 - Heavy firepower
Pick one of the following abilities. You may use it once per [Encounter] as a standard action.

Concussive shot: You fire a rocket at a specific location within [Long] range. When it reaches that location, or if it hits an obstruction, it detonates in a 20-foot-radius spread originating from the target square, doing 1d6 rocket damage per level  to all creatures in the area and pushing and pushing each of them to the closest square outside of the spread hat is unoccupied by an obstacle.

Ring of fire: You sweep our flamethrower around yourself, dealing 1d6 damage with the [Fire] descriptor per level to all creatures within [Close] range and making them start [Burning]. A reflex save halves the damage.

Kickback: You crank up the power on your Gatling gun, unleashing a great force upon your opponents. You deal 1d8/level + KOM damage to a target in [Close] range, push them back 5ft per level, and knock them [Prone]. A reflex save halves the damage and negates the [Prone] condition. You are [Blown away] in the opposite direction.

Circle 4 – Utilitarian Destruction
   Pick one of the following abilities. You may use it once per [Encounter] per 4 levels.

SAM: You fire a special surface-to-air missile at a target within [Medium] range. On a successful ranged attack roll, the rocket does 1d8 rocket damage per level. If the target is [Flying], it looses the ability to fly for 1 [Round] and suffers a hazardous fall.

Wall of flame: You use your flamethrower to ignite the ground, creating a wall of flame. If there would be no creature occupying a square in the resulting area, you may create a line with a length of 10 ft per level originating from target square within [Medium] range lasting for 2 [rounds]. Any creature who enters the wall or begins its turn inside the wall takes 2 points of damage with the [Fire] descriptor per level and is blinded for 2 [Rounds] ad starts [Burning].

Pinning fire: You spray bullets across the battlefield with the intent of pinning down your opponents. All creatures within a 20ft + 5ft/5 levels long wedge may make a reflex save to fall [Prone]. [Prone] targets(whether or not they become prone in response to this ability) are [Immune] to the effect. All others take 1d8/level damage.

Circle 5 – Field of Fire
   Pick one of the following abilities. You may use it once per [Encounter].

Missile swarm: You fire 1 missile per two levels. Each missile hits a point within [Medium] range of your  choosing, 1d6  rocket damage per level in a 5ft radius spread. A reflex save halves the damage.  Targets cannot be hurt by more than 1 rocket.

Fire Jets: You point your flamethrower to the ground, and ride its thrust. You gain [Flying] for 1 [Round], and all creatures within [Melee] range of your movement for the round take 1d6 damage with the [Fire] descriptor per level. A reflex save halves the damage.  A creature can not be hit multiple times by this ability in the same round.

Whirling destruction: You spit bullets in all directions, dealing massive damage to everything around you. All creatures within [Close] range take 1d12 damage per level. A reflex save halves this damage.

Circle 6 -  Up Your Arsenal
   Pick one of the following abilities. You may use it once per [Encounter].

Homing rocket: You fire a special guided rocket. This rocket will navigate around all obstacles to find its target. You must know where the target is, but it will strike a target within [Long] range unerringly. This does 1d8 rocket descriptor per level.

Disco inferno!: You fire out 3 wedges of fire, each 40 ft long, which deal 1d4 damage with the [Fire] descriptor per level each to every creature in them, who start  [Burning], and are [Battered], and [Dazzled]. Each has a reflex save for half damage that negates the [Burning], [Battered], and [Dazzled] conditions. The wedges may overlap, but may not be in the same place.

Bulletstorm: You fire a hail of bullets, forming a wedge 5ft long per level that does 1d6 physical damage per level and inflicts the [Frightened] condition to all opponents in it. A successful will save reduces the condition to [Shaken]. The [Frightened] and [Shaken] effects are [Fear] effects, but the damage is not.

Circle 7-  Unleashed Arsenal
   You fire out two wedges of fire, each 5ft long per level, which deal 1d6 damage with the [Fire] descriptor per level to all creatures in the area, reflex half. Creatures who fail the save start [Burning]. Creatures can only be hit by one of these cones. You also launch several rockets, placing 3 15ft radius spreads within [Long] range, which deal 1d6/level rocket damage to creatures within them and knock the creatures [Prone]. A reflex save halves this damage and negates the [Prone] condition.  A creature can only be affected by 1 rocket. Create 3 lines out to [Close] range, creautes within them take 1d6 damage per level and are [Shaken]. A creature may only be effected by one of these lines. A reflex save halves the damage and a will save negates the [Shaken] condition. You may only use this once per [Encounter]
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:10:36 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Heavy weapon expert
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:53:35 AM »
Right now it seems like rocket launcher is strictly better than minigun... what am I missing here?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Heavy weapon expert
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:06:11 AM »
Right now it seems like rocket launcher is strictly better than minigun... what am I missing here?
Hmm, you are right. I was basing the Rocket launcher off of Hammerfall and the minigun off of elemental burst. I think I need to tone down the flamethrower and  rocket launcher. They were designed to be the staple attack of the sage across all levels, while elemental burst was intended to be surpased by other abilities. I'll scale them back.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Heavy weapon expert(1.0 update)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 12:21:02 AM »
1.0 update

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 12:52:03 AM »
wall of Flame is lacking the [fire] descriptor.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 12:54:11 AM »
wall of Flame is lacking the [fire] descriptor.
fixed

turalisj

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 01:41:02 PM »
 Would Heavy Weapons mesh with Reign of Arrows at all?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 01:42:14 PM »
Not really. It doesn't make attacks.

turalisj

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »
 What tracks would work well to boost your damage per round with this track then?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »
Um, pretty much nothing will boost them directly. You can get things to do with our move and swift actions for damage.

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 03:39:53 PM »
Sentient Construct adds to damage sometimes, actually.
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 03:49:17 PM »
Sentient Construct adds to damage sometimes, actually.
You are right, I forgot about that.
So, Battlemechs are go.

Unit001

• Minion
  • The good kind of evil
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 01:35:58 AM »
This is so awesome, I can't wait to use it.

Castodas

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 02:06:38 AM »
Are the weapons switchable, or is the choice permanent?

Also, is there a reason minigun or flame thrower couldn't receive the elemental damage?

Another question. Can these be disarmed? Also, do you think it would be overpowering to create feats that will let you add weapon properties to them? I do realize they aren't your typical weapons for your typical attack action; but still, seemed worth asking.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 02:30:44 AM »
Are the weapons switchable, or is the choice permanent?
It is permament
Also, is there a reason minigun or flame thrower couldn't receive the elemental damage?
Because thats not how I envisioned them working.
Another question. Can these be disarmed? Also, do you think it would be overpowering to create feats that will let you add weapon properties to them? I do realize they aren't your typical weapons for your typical attack action; but still, seemed worth asking.
They can't be disarmed.
They don't need weapon properties, you are perfectly capable of wielding a weapon with whatever properties you want alongside them. Fluff it as being the same thing if you want, the brutal/magnum as part of it makes it easy to do so.