Author Topic: Homebrew Weapons  (Read 10420 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Homebrew Weapons
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:40:32 AM »
Post your weapon types not listed in the core rulebook. Post even if you changed any core weapon's properties. Duplicate new weapon ideas are encouraged, so long as they aren't clones. However, providing different weapon types to go with a set of properties is also encouraged. GO!

Sickle: [Disarming], [Hold-Out], [Tripping]
Scythe: [Reach], [Scything], [Traumatizing]
Sniper Rifle: [Distant 3]
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Homebrew Weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:28:58 AM »
Rapier: [parrying], [deft],[reactive]
Plasma rifle:[medium], [elemental],[brutal],[distant]
Dagger: [hold out], [deft],[quick draw]
Duelist pistol: [close],[deft],[quick draw],[guardian]
Harpoon: [close],[thrown],[barbed],[reach]
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

GRM13

• Monk
  • Minion
  • Ore! Sanjou!!
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:32:08 AM »
Reposting from the new weapon system thread.

Defensive style: [parrying][guardian][brutal]-This style focuses on you protecting yourself from your opponent's attack by dodging (with having a hand guard/gauntlet as a shield) and lowering the damage. Brutal allows it to still be relevant.

Offensive Style: [brutal3] or [brutal2][magnum]- Going all out, your fist are strong and you break through your enemies defenses. Especially useful to use with the Death touch ability

Disabling style: [tripping][disarming][devastating]- I'ts not always best to seriously harm your opponents and thus in this stance you focus on stopping him from causing harm, either by placing him down (and grapple him when available) or disarming him of his weapons.

Also adding cause I'm curious. Since we have yet to gain the Custom magical item system what are people's thoughts of adding properties to weapons. A lesser magical item would hav 4 properties instead of 3 plus the +1 to attack rolls, greater get 5 and so on.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 11:03:07 AM »
Also adding cause I'm curious. Since we have yet to gain the Custom magical item system what are people's thoughts of adding properties to weapons. A lesser magical item would hav 4 properties instead of 3 plus the +1 to attack rolls, greater get 5 and so on.
I think a magic item slot is much more valuable than a weapon property. I mean, compare:
"You may make an additional melee attack as part of a Charge while using this weapon, but you take penalties as though you were flurrying if you do so." vs " deal 1 extra damage, plus 1 damage per six levels of the wielder", aka +1-+4 damage.
If this is allowed, I think it would need more than 1 extra property per tier.

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:29:27 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, magic weapon properties and mundane weapon properties are separate, different, and have no overlap. Mystify is correct about their relative power, as well.
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 05:53:49 PM »
Still, it could be interesting if a magical property was that it had several mundane properties, either chosen upon acquisition/timePeriod or set.

*begins pondering how adding weapon properties might work with the weapon scion idea from D&D3.5*
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Melchior

• Mook
  • Typo Hammer Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 11:51:36 PM »
Well, since it has to be done:

Sarissa: Range [Melee], [Reach 3]

The famed spear of the Macedonian phalanx.  Does not hit too hard (1d6+KOM), but an extra 15 feet of reach means you can engage opponents as far away as a level 15 without reach can.  Shoot, you are 5 feet short of close range at level 1!

Tematlatl: Range [Melee], [Thrown], [Elemental]Fire, [Point-Blank]

The slings of the Aztecs, said to be used to hurl flaming rocks at their opponents.

Atlatl:  Range [Medium], [Distant], [Deft], [Brutal]

This is a spear-thrower, really.

Pilum: Range [Melee], [Thrown], [Barbed], [Unbalancing]

The Roman javelin, which featured a soft barbed lead or iron point, which would bend after hitting a shield, forcing the shield-bearer to either discard the much more awkward shield, or take time pulling it out.

More when I can break-out my Anachronism cards.
Sincerely,

Melchior

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 12:21:21 AM »
Torch
improvised weapon
[melee],[brutal],[elemental(fire)]

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 12:40:56 AM »
Eh, here, let's throw a hat into the ring.

Jian: [Deft], [Parrying], [Reacting] — Highly maneuverable swords with a strong central tine, excellent for small cuts, thrusts and certain types of chops. The way a jian is balanced makes it especially compatible with quick, rotating movements and similar footwork.

Dao: [Brutal], [Devastating], [Magnum] — Forceful, energetic swords with a weighty edge that allows them to push-cut the way an axe would, designed for powerful chops and forceful thrusts. A jian's distribution of weight makes its best for broad, flowing movements.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 01:45:39 AM »
Torch
improvised weapon
[melee],[brutal],[elemental(fire)]
And if you're Aragorn, you may add [throwing].

Brightside

• Minion
  • "Well... he's not wrong..."
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 02:59:13 AM »
eh, I'm just trying my luck here:
Daggerain: [Melee] [Thrown] [Unbalancing] [Brutal]
Stiletto : [Melee] [Thrown] [Distant] [Barbed]
Duelist's Dirk: [Melee] [Hold-out] [Parrying] [Deft]

This is for my knife slinging robotic ranger. while stilettos would make a much nicer ranged weapon, he's built on knives, so I'm obligated.

Ramaloke

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
Homebrew Weapon Property:

Ammo: Your weapon can use various types of ammo. Effectively your weapon has one extra, swappable, weapon property which can be used to model the various types of ammo it can use. You can swap one ammo type for another as part of a move action. Only weapons with at least [Close] range can gain the Ammo weapon property.

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »
I suppose it's good to make it explicit, maybe, but Legend really just models that as switching weapons.
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

Ramaloke

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
I thought it up when making a Battleforged Sentient Construct. They have drawbacks for not using their built in weapon, and I figured that I should be able to switch my ammo a bit for different effects.

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Magic 8-Ball Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »
I think ammo could make an interesting consumable possibility. Something like adding an extra property to a ranged weapon for an encounter would be interesting.

Sword & Board
Melee, range [melee], [guardian],[parrying],[unbalancing]

Unbalancing is there to model something like the occasional shield bash, but could easily be replaced by brutal 1, reacting, or deft. I love the flexibility with this weapon system.