Author Topic: Giant Arthropod(1.0 update)  (Read 6963 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Giant Arthropod(1.0 update)
« on: May 27, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
Giant Arthropod
This is meant to be a highly flexible track to represent a wide variety of giant arthropods. Spiders, scorpions, and crabs are the most classic, but this can still handle things like grasshoppers, ticks, mosquitoes, flies, and beetles.
The first 3 circle are kinda novel, and I feel they deserve some explanation as to why they are as they are. Basically, there are several options for each of the first 3 circles. They are(or at least should be) balanced for their circle, so you end up with a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd circle ability from the list.  However,  if they choices were simply at the circle, it presents a dilemma; if a particular option is what you would consider the most important, then you would want to get it first. However, you also want it to be the strongest, which would mean getting it last. With this method, you can choose it first and have it be the most powerful, and it feels like your powers are growing, which is a nice touch.

Giant Arthropod
Giant spiders, crabs, scorpions, ants... All are potentially fearsome foes, and share a many qualities.

Racial mods: +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 int
KOM: Dex
KDM: Con
Size: [Small].[Average] or [Large]
Darkvision
+1 AC
Racial Feats:
Feign Death
The Earth Cracks
Danger Sense

BAB: Full
good reflex and fort
10 hp/level
4 skills

Circle 1- Creepy Crawly: You may either gain the swim movement mode or the ability Good Climber: You may use your dex modifier in place of your strength modifier for climb checks, you can always move at full speed while climbing, and you do not suffer any penalties from climbing.
   Physical Aspect: Additionally, you may select one of the following abilities:
   Poison attack: You gain a natural weapon that can deliver poison, often a bite or a stinger. Once per [Round], an opponent you hit with the Stinger natural weapon is [Sickened] for 1 [Round] and [Burning]. A fortitude save( DC 10+ ½ your level + your constitution modifier) negates these effects.
You gain the Stinger natural weapon: ranged Melee [Bruta] [Traumatizing] [Holdout][Deft]
   Claws: You have large claws or mandibles suitable for grabbing your prey and immobilizing them. Once per [Round], an opponent you hit with the Claws natural weapon is  [Flat footed]. A reflex save(DC 10 + ½ your level + your KOM) negates this effect.
You gain the Claws natural weapon: ranged Melee [Brutal 2] [Guardian]
   Wings: You have wings. You gain the Fly movement mode
   Web: You have the ability to create webs. Once per [Encounter], as a move action, you can cause an opponent within [Close] range to be [Entangled] for 2 [Rounds]. A reflex save(DC 10+ ½  level + your KOM)  negates this effect.
   Chitinous Exoskeleton: Your exoskeleton is especially hard and thick. You gain a +1 item bonus to AC for every circle of this track you possess, minimum 2.
   Leaper: You possess a powerful ability to jump.As a move action, you may gain the [Flying] condition until the end of your [Turn] and move up to your speed. When you cease [Flying], you deal your level in damage to targets in [Melee] range. This is a [Ground] effect. If you already posses the fly movement mode, your speed increases by 10ft on a round in which you use this ability.
   Bloodsucker: Whenever you deal damage with your Proboscis natural weapon, you heal half the damage dealt, to a maximum of your Key Offensive Modifier. You gain the Proboscis natural weapon: Proboscis – Melee, range [Melee], [Brutal], [Magnum]. [Traumatizing].
   Antennae: You have antennae that give you an heightened senses. You have Blindsight within [Melee] range

Circle 2 – Improved Physical Aspect:
   Your first circle ability improves to corresponding ability below. Additionally, select a new physical aspect option from circle 1.
   Poison attack: Opponents who fail their save against Poison attack also take a -1 penalty to attack and AC for 1 [Round].
   Claws: If the enemy fails the reflex save against your claws, they are [Checked] in all directions for 1 [Round]. This is a [Binding] effect. If you move, the effect ends.
   Wings:  You additionally gain a +3 bonus to reflex saves
   Web: You may use your web attack once per [Encounter] per circle of this track you posses. It now effects all opponents in a 10ft radius spread from a square within range.
   Chitinous Exoskeleton: In addition to the item bonus to AC, you gain a +3 bonus to fortitude saves.
   Leaper: You additionally gain a +3 bonus to athletics checks.
   Bloodsucker: Your proboscis attack now heals you for half the damage you deal with it, up to your level per hit.
   Antennae: Your have antennae also grants [Ghostwise sight] out to [Close] range

Circle 3 - Greater Physical Aspect:
Your first circle physical aspect improves to the corresponding ability, and the physical aspect ability you selected at 2nd circle increases to the corresponding ability listed 2nd circle. Additionally, select a new physical aspect option from circle 1.
   Poison attack:  Opponents who fail their save against Poison attack are [Slowed] for 1 [Round]
   Claws: If the enemy fails the reflex save against your claws, they are [Grappled] by you.
   Wings:Your speed increases by 10ft.
   Web:  Your web attack now effects a 20ft radius spread.
   Chitinous Exoskeleton: In addition to the item bonus to AC, and fort save bonus, you gain [Lesser resistance] to physical damage
   Leaper:  When you use the Leaper ability, you may make a [Bonus attack]
   Bloodsucker: Your proboscis attack can now inflict [Hp reduction] equal points to the damage you would heal.
   Antenna: Your have antenna also grants [Tremorsense] out to [close] range

Circle 4 - Thing of Nightmares:
Giant arthropods are terrifying creatures, hitting all kinds of primal responses. Choose one of the following abilities:
   Kill it with fire!: Your form is so terrifying, there is only one proper response: Kill it with fire. The first time in an [Encounter] that each opponent enters your [Melee] range, it becomes [Shaken] until the end of the [Encounter]. A successful will save (DC 10+½ your level + your KOM) negates this effect. Creatures affected by this ability take a -2 penalty on all attack rolls against a creature who does not possess this ability. You gain +2 hp per level. In addition, you gain [Vulnerability] to [Fire].
   Acid spit: You have the ability to spit acid. Once per [Encounter, as a standard action, target one opponent in [Close] range. They take 1d6 damage per level with the [Acid] descriptor and are [Checked] and [Sickened] for 3 rounds. A successful fortitude save (DC 10+½ level + your Con modifier) halves the damage and reduces the [Checked] and [Sickened] conditions to 1 [Round].
   Skitter: You are especially nimble and are more able to skitter out of the way of attacks. You gain a +2 bonus on reflex saves, and once per [Round], if you
make a successful Reflex saving throw against an offensive action, you may move up to your speed.

Circle 5:
Swarm: You are surrounded by a swarm of your lesser brethren. This manifests as an spread  extending from you out to [Close] range. Opponents in the spread take damage equal to twice your KOM at the end of their turn..
Diseased: You are a carrier of disease. Your attacks can inflict a virulent pathogen. Once per [Encounter], when you hit with a natural weapon, your  opponent must make a fort save(DC 10+½ your level+your Con modifier) or be [Confused] for the rest of the [Encounter] as a fever makes them delirious.
Curl up: You can pull yourself into a more defensive position making it hard to hurt you.  As a move action, you gain [Lesser resistance] to all damage for 1 [Round].

Circle 6:
Molt: You can shed your old skin and emerge anew. As a standard action once per [Encounter], you heal an amount of damage equal to your max hp.

Circle 7- Unnatural resilience: You gain [Immunity] to [Unconscious] and [Dying], though you still die at -(Constitution) HP. Once per encounter, when you would otherwise be dead, you can choose to continue fighting for 1 [Round] before dying. You may be healed during this time.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:15:07 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

iemcd

• Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • The Benign Brown Beast
    • Awards
Re: Giant Arthropod
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 08:32:35 PM »
Thanks, I was looking forward to that, and it's excellent. I really like what you've done with the first three circles because I've also had that problem.

Circle six has some minor formatting errors - missing square brackets around encounter and a capital letter in the name. Swarm (5th circle) seems weird for some things (I'm picturing lobsters) but fits perfectly for spiders and crabs and even scorpions.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 08:34:24 PM »
Thanks, I was looking forward to that, and it's excellent. I really like what you've done with the first three circles because I've also had that problem.

Circle six has some minor formatting errors - missing square brackets around encounter and a capital letter in the name. Swarm (5th circle) seems weird for some things (I'm picturing lobsters) but fits perfectly for spiders and crabs and even scorpions.
Yeah, I really want another option for 5th circle, but I had a hard time coming up with something. I'm open to suggestions.

iemcd

• Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • The Benign Brown Beast
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:23:01 PM »
I feel like there should be a water-related Physical Aspect chain for the Lobsters and Trilobites. Or maybe a burrowing one now that I'm thinking about it.

For a 5th circle ability, I'd consider:
  • Metamorphosis - Make Molt 6th circle (unless that breaks), this is then a 6th circle ability. When you use your Molt ability, you may select a new Physical Aspect from the 1st circle list. This replaces the choice you made in the 3rd circle.
  • Disease - Whenenever you deal damage with a natural attack, the damaged creature must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + KOM) or be [Sickened].
    I realize that this will be weak to creatures with the Poison Attack as a Greater Physical Aspect, but it might be good as an option. Also, the condition lasts longer with this ability. Some sort of more classical disease-like thing with incubation and later/longer onset might be better suited to this, but harder to implement and still feel like Legend.
  • Sensory Array - Your already impressive sensory array is further augmented by supernatural senses. You gain {[Blindsight] || [Tremorsense]} out to (an appropriate range).
    I'm having trouble figuring out which mode of vision it should be, thus the notation. I've looked, but I can't quite tell which one you'd want.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:31:22 PM »
I feel like there should be a water-related Physical Aspect chain for the Lobsters and Trilobites. Or maybe a burrowing one now that I'm thinking about it.

For a 5th circle ability, I'd consider:
  • Metamorphosis - Make Molt 6th circle (unless that breaks), this is then a 6th circle ability. When you use your Molt ability, you may select a new Physical Aspect from the 1st circle list. This replaces the choice you made in the 3rd circle.
  • Disease - Whenenever you deal damage with a natural attack, the damaged creature must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + KOM) or be [Sickened].
    I realize that this will be weak to creatures with the Poison Attack as a Greater Physical Aspect, but it might be good as an option. Also, the condition lasts longer with this ability. Some sort of more classical disease-like thing with incubation and later/longer onset might be better suited to this, but harder to implement and still feel like Legend.
  • Sensory Array - Your already impressive sensory array is further augmented by supernatural senses. You gain {[Blindsight] || [Tremorsense]} out to (an appropriate range).
    I'm having trouble figuring out which mode of vision it should be, thus the notation. I've looked, but I can't quite tell which one you'd want.
Any suggestions for an aquatic aspect? I already let them have a swim speed.
Metamorphasis is an interesting idea, but I don't think molt should be lowered.
Disease has potential, but I think I'll do it differently
more senses are also good.

edit: I added a disease option for circle 5, and added an attenae physical aspect
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:43:15 PM by Mystify »

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 09:48:08 PM »
Antennae can help "fill in the blanks" for some insects where only 2 other aspects come to mind, and Diseased instantly made me think of mosquitoes.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 10:43:18 PM »
I kinda want to offer another option for 6th as well, but I'm not sure how it could compete with the 6th/7th synergy that is present.

iemcd

• Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • The Benign Brown Beast
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 10:58:16 PM »
I hadn't thought too hard about the aquatic archetype, it was just a stray thought. Swim speeds are probably sufficient, but I feel like it doesn't do justice to the weird way a lobster swims.

As for the 6th circle, perhaps you could split molt into two:
one will be as it is.
the other will allow you to feign death and make an escape/hide attempt.
This way you could preserve the synergy between the two, but each has a distinct feel to it.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 11:01:27 PM »
I hadn't thought too hard about the aquatic archetype, it was just a stray thought. Swim speeds are probably sufficient, but I feel like it doesn't do justice to the weird way a lobster swims.

As for the 6th circle, perhaps you could split molt into two:
one will be as it is.
the other will allow you to feign death and make an escape/hide attempt.
This way you could preserve the synergy between the two, but each has a distinct feel to it.
I don't know if the second really fits legend.

iemcd

• Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • The Benign Brown Beast
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 11:49:29 PM »
I think it does. The moment of uncertainty near the end of a battle and the opportunity to escape are both in keeping with the cinematic theme.  Something like:
6th circle - Molt: Choose one:
    Life (SU?): As a standard action once per [encounter], you can shed your old skin and emerge anew. You heal an amount of damage equal to your max hp.
    Death (SU?): As a standard action oncer per [Encounter], you can shed your old skin an use it as a decoy in combat. If you do so, you may immediately make a Stealth check at a +10 circumstance bonus to conceal yourself nearby.
Is what I was thinking, although I don't know if that was communicated well.

Obviously if communication wasn't the issue at stake there, I'll keep my thoughts on a good alternative for a 6th circle.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 11:55:06 PM »
I think it does. The moment of uncertainty near the end of a battle and the opportunity to escape are both in keeping with the cinematic theme.  Something like:
6th circle - Molt: Choose one:
    Life (SU?): As a standard action once per [encounter], you can shed your old skin and emerge anew. You heal an amount of damage equal to your max hp.
    Death (SU?): As a standard action oncer per [Encounter], you can shed your old skin an use it as a decoy in combat. If you do so, you may immediately make a Stealth check at a +10 circumstance bonus to conceal yourself nearby.
Is what I was thinking, although I don't know if that was communicated well.

Obviously if communication wasn't the issue at stake there, I'll keep my thoughts on a good alternative for a 6th circle.
a standard action for a +10 stealth check seems kinda weak, esp. compared to healing yourself for max. Look at Crane 5, you get to teleport 100 miles away. This lets you hide in the bushes. If its a monster, the later ability is going to result in a much weaker fight. Additionally, it does not have synergy with the last circle like you said, because you are still dead afterwords.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 02:07:08 PM »
Allows a save for only one round of[on fire]?
Make it the normal 3 rounds duration. Also move action to remove poison?
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 02:09:48 PM »
Allows a save for only one round of[on fire]?
Make it the normal 3 rounds duration. Also move action to remove poison?
Its first circle, there is no action cost, and it occurs every round. I didn't want it to be too strong. The action is weird, but it could be sucking out the poison or something. If you thing something else would be more balanced I'm open to suggestions.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 10:09:49 PM »
Since apparantly climb speeds are not meant to exist anymore, I have altered the first circle.

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Problem Solver Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
This track looks good, mostly, but, unless I'm missing something, I don't see any racial feats.  Do you have any ideas for what those could be?
Thanks to Aruius on GitP for creating my excellent avatar!

This space is dedicated to Nezzy, the noblest Roden of them all.  May he rest in peace and be undisturbed by toxic chemicals.

My Homebrew

--Timeless Error, Emerald Knight