Author Topic: Hunter Nen/Aura track  (Read 5352 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hunter Nen/Aura track
« on: June 01, 2012, 12:36:36 AM »
Hunter Nen track (based on Hunter X Hunter)
A Hunter's final test is the discovery of Nen, another name for Aura. Hunters spend a great deal of time honing their Nen abilities. To begin your training in Nen, you must learn the 4 basic principles of Shingen-Ryu Kung-Fu: Ten, Zetsu, Ren, and Hatsu. Hatsu, being specific to the individual, is modeled by your other tracks. Once you have learned the basic principles, you can start developing advanced techniques that apply these principles. The translation/meaning of each term is in parentheses beside it.

All abilities in this Track are Extraordinary Abilities. All bonuses from this track are fury bonuses, which do not stack with other tracks’ fury bonuses. A creature benefiting from a fury bonus may not benefit from sources of [Precision] damage.

1st Circle
Ten (Envelop/Shroud): Once your aura nodes have been opened, you must learn to maintain your aura properly. You gain a bonus to your Will saves equal to your circles in this track and [Damage Reduction] and a +1 to AC. This is a passive ability.

2nd Circle
You gain the use of both of the following abilities, but they may not be used simultaneously. Each takes an Immediate or Swift Action to activate or de-activate and lasts until the end of the [Encounter] or until de-activated. These modes can be thought of as two extremes branching off from the basic middle-ground that is Ten.
Zetsu (Suppress/Null): You learn to close your aura nodes, keeping your aura internal. By negating all effects from Ren, Ken, Ryu, En, and Ko, you gain a +OddCircle bonus to Stealth checks, a +EvenCircle bonus to Tracking(Nature) checks, and a bonus to Reflex saves equal to 1/2 your circles in this track (rounded down) and [Fast Healing] equal to your circles in this track.
Ren (Refine/Enhance): You learn to open your aura nodes wider, intensifying your aura. By negating all effects from Zetsu, Gyo, and In, you gain a bonus to Health Fortitude saves equal to 1/2 your circles in this track (rounded down) and a bonus to damage equal to your circles in this track.

3rd Circle
Gyo (Focus): You learn to focus your aura in one area of your body, with your eyes being the simplest application. While using Zetsu, You gain the effects of the True Seeing spell with the Will save being required for all effects higher than your Circle. Note that this Will save does not benefit from the bonus from Ten. This is a passive ability.

4th Circle
You gain the use of both of the following abilities.
Shu (Enfold): You learn to expand your aura to affect your belongings. As an Immediate or Swift Action for each weapon in your possession, you can change that weapon's Weapon Properties. Additionally, any improvised weapon in your possession is treated as if it wasn't improvised. These effects only persist while the affected weapons are considered to be in your possession.
Ken (Fortify): You learn to keep your intensified aura stable. While using Ren, you gain a +Circle bonus to Fortitude saves and [Resistance] to all damage types. This is a passive ability.

5th Circle
Ryu (Flow): You learn to adjust your aura's concentration in the heat of battle. Thrice per [Encounter] as an Immediate or Swift Action while using Ren, you can turn either an critical attack against you that hits into a normal attack or turn a normal attack from you that hits into a critical attack.

6th Circle
You gain the use of both of the following abilities.
In (Conceal): You learn to conceal your aura, rendering your attacks invisible. While using Zetsu, against a target who is not able to see [Invisible] creatures, you gain +Circle to either your first Attack roll that that turn or the DC of the first Reflex Save you cause your target to take. This is a passive ability.
En (Circle): You learn to utilize your aura as an extension of your senses. As a move action while using Ren, you gain [Tremorsense] until the start of your next turn to the extent of your [Long] range.

7th Circle
Ko (Temper): You perfect the dynamic adjustment of your aura's concentration. Thrice per [Encounter] as an Immediate or Swift Action while using Ren, you can make either an attack against you miss or an attack from you hit.

~

Note that the bonuses are untyped for a reason; they are supposed to stack with other bonuses.
If anybody is willing to offer advice, I'm all ears, but it'd really help if they were familiar with the Hunter X Hunter anime.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:56:21 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hunter Nen track
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 02:52:53 AM »
[damage reduction] is aways physical. You should probably make it [lesser resistance]. Even that is probably pushing it for 1st circle, esp. with a will save boost alongside it.

a +Circle bonus(which isn't proper wording, but the intent is still clear) to [fast healing] is weired since it implies you must already have fast healing. You should just grant fast healing of that level. a +circle bonus to stealth checks is also extremely powerful, due to the profound effects it has, its nature as an opposed stat, and how you can easily boost it further(invisibility, for instance).

a +Circle bonus to temp hp squared and damage is very weirdly phrased. Based on what I think you mean, that temp hp scales rather oddly.

True seeing is a 5th circle encounter duration spell, having it as a passive ability should be at least 5th circle, not 3rd, esp. since you have removed the  circle cap from it, making it even more powerful.

Shu is weird. Are you saying that the weapon properties change, like making it [brutal], or the magic properties? Since shields and armor don't even have normal properties, I assume the latter, which makes this extremely powerful. And its paired with Ken, which is offering [damage reduction] to all damage types. That should be a [resistance],probably lesser, and it should probably replace the bonus from ten. Even then, that is very powerful for 4th, as most resistance to all damage occurs at a higher level, even without the other aspects of the circle.

Ryu seems relatively reasonable.

It seems odd to specify the impact of an attack as occuring with a penalty to the opponents AC. Since its not going to affect any other attacks, it would probably be better phrased as a bonus to the attack.

Specifying a 360 degree tremorsense is pointless, as tremorsense works out to a range normally. And tremorsense is a rather weak ability for 6th circle, esp. since you have to spend a move action to activate it and it locks down your movement.

Also, giving untyped bonuses everywhere is a bad idea. I know you said you intend for them to stack, but things are designed not to stack for a reason.

My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 08:14:14 AM »
Quite a few of these bonuses should be typed.

As Mystify says, Damage Reduction is always physical. Tricky to hand out at this circle, too ... I'd say if you dropped the will save bonus and kept the DR-equal-to-circles bit it would probably be fine. Dunno if that conflicts with what you want to do with this.

What is the action type for Zetsu and Ren? Also, that Stealth bonus may end up a little high.

Gyo should not be a 3rd circle ability.

I'm not sure what Shu does. Ken has the slip up with DR again, but depending on how you solve that is probably okay.

Ryu seems okay, although it should specify that your attack has to hit.

Mm, I agree with Mystify that In should just be a bonus to attacks and save DCs (this also solves problems with the language of using "hit" to describe abilities that don't have attack rolls. Also, cut the [Invisibile] condition, it really has no relevance to what those mechanics are doing. For En, Tremorsense is indeed always 360°, and it is indeed pretty weaksauce for a 6th circle ability — but In is pretty damn strong, so it probably balances out.

Ko looks fine.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:53:13 AM »
Also, cut the [Invisibile] condition, it really has no relevance to what those mechanics are doing.
I agree that its odd and kinda out of place, but I think the intent is for see invisibility and similar effects to negate the bonus.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 04:25:04 PM »
Also, cut the [Invisibile] condition, it really has no relevance to what those mechanics are doing.
I agree that its odd and kinda out of place, but I think the intent is for see invisibility and similar effects to negate the bonus.
That's correct, and I changed the wording to emphasize that more.

~

I'm still working out the bigger/harder changes, but here's what I've changed so far:
> I added translations beside each ability, which helps to understand what each is supposed to do for those unfamiliar with the anime and avoids some homophonic confusion.
> I made the True Seeing effect from Gyo have the Circle Limit again. It now scales w/ Circle-1, so 7th Circle effect can never been seen. I think that should make it more reasonable, though I suppose I could make it require Zetsu, since choosing whether to be in Zetsu or Ren is intentionally the constant question with this track.
> Shu is only supposed to change the Weapon Properties, and the wording has been clarified.
> Ryu's wording was tweaked.
> In has been changed to only apply to the first attack roll you make or the DC of the first reflex save you cause that round.
> I removed mention of 360 degress from En.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 12:07:11 PM »
Okay, I've finished making the changes:
> Ten only gives a Will save bonus
> Zetsu's bonus to Stealth and Tracking(Nature) checks was hard to reconcile, so they have been changed to a Reflex save bonus.
> Gyo now requires Zetsu to use, and the limit has been raised to include your current circle because of that. Additionally, Gyo's Will save will not benefit from Ten's Will save bonus.
> Ken just gives Resistance to all damage types.
> En extends to your Medium range now.

I left the strike-throughs in place so I can remember what those circles used to do and, the original intent of each circle is clear despite current mechanical implementation.

Aside from standardizing the wording (which I won't bother with until it's done), how does it look now?
Also, because I don't want them stacking, how should the Save bonuses be typed?
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hunter Nen/Aura track
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »
I couldn't stand Zetsu giving a Reflex save bonus solely for the sake of parallelism with Ren (since Zetsu doesn't really do that in the anime). So, I changed it back to Stealth and Tracking bonuses, but split their +7 between both of them along even/odd circles. Is this the right amount of power for 2nd Circle?

Also, what do you think I'd have to lower Ten's Will bonus to (Even/Odd Circles?) in order to add back +Circle DR?
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 11:21:55 PM »
All right, here are my changes:
This track is now a fury track, so that takes care of the typing of bonuses.
I put the Reflex save bonus back in Zetsu, because the parallelism looks so much better (and it isn't that much of a stretch from the source material).
En's [Tremorsense] expands out to [Long] range now.

Is giving +Circle to 2 saves at a time within the first 2 circles too powerful? If so, would +OddCircle be more appropriate for C1, C2, or both?
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 08:25:33 AM »
Looks pretty good, but yeah, giving a boost that high to two saves at once is pretty strong. Odd circle to both is probably a bit too good. You may also want to throw a bone 1st Circle's way — a small, non-scaling bonus, maybe.

Oh, note that [Turn] is not bracketed.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »
Okay, I made the Reflex and Fort saves get Even Circle bonuses instead of Circle bonuses, so switching between them shouldn't causes balance problems (and switching takes 2 swift/immediate actions anyway). Also, C1 now gives +1 to AC as well.

I never noticed that before; turn has been un-bracketed.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew