Author Topic: Enchanter(or Enchantress) ( 1.0 update)  (Read 10114 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Enchanter(or Enchantress) ( 1.0 update)
« on: June 02, 2012, 01:49:25 AM »
Enchanter

Enchanters toy with the minds of others, forcing them to do their  bidding. They detest having to do anything themselves, and prefer to coerce others.

"No self harm" clause: None of these abilities can be used a creature to harm itself, or take actions directly harmful to its health. The most obvious case of this would be to try to attack itself, but it would also include moving into the area of effect of an ongoing spell, moving into known hazards or traps, or any actions that provoke an attack of opportunity. If they have a method to avoid the attack of opportunity to would be immune to the hazard, then those abilities can be used to allow the action as there is no danger. Any attempt to force a creature to take an action that violates this clause will cause the effect to immediately end.

All abilities in this track are [mind affecting] unless otherwise noted
All DCs are (10+1/2 level +Cha)

Circle 1-Redirected wrathSLA:
   At will, as a standard action, you may select one opponent within [Close] range. That opponent moves up to their speed to a location of your choice and takes an attack action against a target of your choice. A will save negates this effect. A creature cannot be effected by Redirected wrath more than once per [Round].

Psychic blast SLA
Sometimes, your foe's mind is too tough to crack, and you must resort to more a more direct approach. At will, as  standard action, you may direct a blast of psychic energy at a target within [Close] range  dealing 1d6/level damage. A successful fort save halves the damage . This is not [Mind-affecting]

Circle 2-Mental Command:
Choose one of the following abilities
Sleep SLA:Once per [Encounter], as a standard action, you can force a single opponent within [Close] range to fall asleep. They must make a will save or be [Fatigued] until the end of the [Encounter]. If they are already [Fatigued], they become [Exhausted] until the end of the [Encounter]. If they are already [Exhausted], they fall [Unconscious]. They must repeat this save each round until they either succeed it or are [Unconscious]
Enforce friendshipSLA:Once per [Encounter], you can cause a target within [Close] range to view another creature as a friend. Your target treats the designated creature as if they were effected by the Sanctuary spell. This effect does not end if the protected creature takes an offensive action unless that offensive action targets the effected creature.

Circle 3-Master manipulator:

Choose one of the following abilities
ConfusionSLA: Once per [Encounter] as a standard action you can confuse your opponents. Select one opponent per circle of Enchanter you possess within [Close] range. They are [Confused] for the two [Rounds]. A successful will save negates this effect
RearrangementSLA:Once per [Encounter] as a standard action, you can reach into the minds of all opponents within [Close] range and force them to move as you wish. They move up to their speed to the location you desire. A successful will save negates this effect.

Circle 4- Quick Redirection:
You may target opponents within [Medium] range with redirected wrath.
You may use Redirected Wrath as a swift action once per [Round]. If you do so, the target makes a single attack rather than an attack action.

Your Psychic blast now targets all targets in a  wedge with length 25+5ft per 2 levels.

Circle 5- Mental protection:
Pick one of the following abilities:
Mental BarriersSU:Your long study of enchantment has lead to the mastery of your own mind. You are [Immune] to [Mind affecting] effects.
Psychic shieldSU:You are able to distort the perception of those around you. Any creature within [Close] range has a 50% [Miss chance] against you.

Circle 6- Mental Lash
You gain one of the following abilities:
Stunning revelationSLA:Once per [Encounter], You send out strands of psychic energy to ravage your opponent's minds, rendering them unable to act. As  a standard action. you fire out a wedge with length 25+5ft per 2 levels. All opponents within the area must make a will save or be [Nauseated] for 1 round
Innermost NightmaresSLA:Once per [Encounter], you can focus on the innermost insecurities and nightmares of a creature within [Close] range,  and bring them to the surface. The target must [Cower] for 2 [Rounds]. A successful will save leaves them [Frightened] for 2 [Rounds] instead. This is a [Fear] effect.

Circle 7- PuppetmasterSLA:
   Once per [Encounter], as a standard action, you can force an opponent within [medium] range to do your bidding. They must make a will save or be under your control for 1 [Round]. While under your control, you may direct their actions for the [Round] when their turn comes. You choose which abilities they use, who they target, how they move, etc. The "No self harm" clause remains in effect. You may spend a standard action to maintain this ability for another  round, but the subject gets another will save.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:40:29 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Enchanter(or Enchantress)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 02:57:30 AM »
Circle's 4's wording is very specific, which is good. However, Circle 1's wording is kind of vague. Such, Circle 4 doesn't seem to be as beneficial as it might otherwise be.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 04:00:16 AM »
Neat, and I like it. One quick note - I think you mean Wrath, not Wraith. But definitely a cool Track.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:15:50 AM »
Circle's 4's wording is very specific, which is good. However, Circle 1's wording is kind of vague. Such, Circle 4 doesn't seem to be as beneficial as it might otherwise be.
What do you find vague about circle 1?

I also added a couple of new abilities to it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:04:55 AM by Mystify »

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 03:31:59 PM »
Circle 1 says at will, but Circle 4 says as a Standard or Swift. This seems like a downgrade. I think you were going for Circle 1 taking a Standard and Circle 4 letting the player take a Swift instead so they can do 3 of Redirected Wraths per turn (1 standard + 2 swifts).
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »
Circle 1 says at will, but Circle 4 says as a Standard or Swift. This seems like a downgrade. I think you were going for Circle 1 taking a Standard and Circle 4 letting the player take a Swift instead so they can do 3 of Redirected Wraths per turn (1 standard + 2 swifts).
At will is a statement of how often you can do it, not how much effort it takes. Its a standard to start, and 4th circle lets you use a swift instead. The once per round limit is so you can only use it once in a round, but you can do so at a lesser action cost.

grayswx

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 07:23:10 PM »
At will is a statement of how often you can do it, not how much effort it takes. Its a standard to start, and 4th circle lets you use a swift instead. The once per round limit is so you can only use it once in a round, but you can do so at a lesser action cost.

I think Yoder was pointing out that it never actually says it takes a standard action until you mention it in the 4th circle.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 07:32:56 PM »

I think Yoder was pointing out that it never actually says it takes a standard action until you mention it in the 4th circle.
Doesn't it default to a standard? I guess I'll add it either way.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 07:42:23 PM »
No, "at will" implies no action cost. The only reason tracks like the Elementalist say that is because there is a clause before the circles saying that all abilities take a standard action unless specified.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »
“At will” is only about how often you can use it. It is never stated “at will” is free of action cost.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »
No, "at will" implies no action cost. The only reason tracks like the Elementalist say that is because there is a clause before the circles saying that all abilities take a standard action unless specified.
I have never seen anything imply that "at will" means no action cost. Point out anyplace where it is used that way. There are a ton of places where it uses "At will" as a frequency, often with an attached action cost.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »

That's incorrect. At will means you can do it as many times as you want, not that it has no action cost.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »

That's incorrect. At will means you can do it as many times as you want, not that it has no action cost.
Am I right in thinking that a standard action is implied by it being a spell-like? Or should it always be explicit?

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »
Good grief, don't all jump down my throat, people. I just made a mistake.

Being explicit would probably be best, since p111 does not state a usual action cost.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 09:09:47 AM »
Am I right in thinking that a standard action is implied by it being a spell-like? Or should it always be explicit?

It should always be explicit.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.