Author Topic: Combat Engineer  (Read 3178 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Combat Engineer
« on: June 04, 2012, 02:00:25 AM »
Combat Engineer

Combat engineers specialize in utilizing special devices on the battlefield. They deploy them rapidly, and leverage them to turn the tide of combat.

Devices: Several of the Engineers abilities allow you to place devices on the battlefield. Devices are stationary entities with no combat relevant statistics, but take up a square on the battlefield. Moving through a square with a device counts as difficult terrain. Initially, you are limited to one device, but you can have an additional device at 6th, 12th, and 18th. Devices only function while within 10ft per level of you.  A creature within their attack range of a device may spend a standard action to disable it. Disabled devices no longer count against your limit and do not function.

1st Circle – Sonic DisruptorEX: As a move action, you can place a device called sonic disruptor. This device  emits low frequency sounds that disrupt motion around them. This manifests as a 40ft radius area of difficult terrain centered on the disruptor.

2nd Circle- Shield: As a move action, you can place a shield on the battlefield. This takes one of 2 forms:
Personal ShieldEX:You protect an ally with a shield. The shield has 2x your intelligence modifier hit points which must be targeted first.
Chest high wallEX: You can place a 10ft wide section of force field to provide cover. This is placed in between squares. It counts as difficult terrain to move through it, and creatures behind it are [covered].
Shields last till the end of the [Encounter]

3rd Circle- Turret: As a move action, you can place a device called a turret within [Medium] range. You may spend a standard action to have a turret fire. The attack originated from the turret. There are  two varieties of turret:
AutogunEX: An autogun is equipped with a [brutal 2] [point blank] [magnum] gun. You may attack with this weapon as if you were standing in the square the turret is in with 1 attack, + 1 attack for every 5 levels you possess. Each attack after the first has a -5 penalty. Each hit imposes a -1 penalty on attack rolls for 1 [round]. This penalty stacks with itself.
FlamethrowerEX: The flamethrower turret fires out a cone of fire 15 ft long + 10 ft per circle of Combat Engineer you possess long. This does 1d6/level [fire] damage to all creatures in the area. A reflex save (DC 10+1/2 level+your intelligence modifier) halves the damage.

4th Circle – Tesla CoilEX: As a move action, you can place a device called a tesla coil within [Medium] range. Opponents within 25ft of the Tesla coil take 2x your intelligence modifier in [electricity] damage and are [Dazzled].

5th Circle- Force fieldSLA : As a standard action, you can create a large force field, as per Wall of  Force.

6th Circle – OverloadEX: As a standard action, once per encounter you can run a high voltage current through your Tesla coils. Opponents within 25 feat of a Tesla coil take 1d6 [electricity] damage per level and are [Stunned] for 1 round. A successful reflex save (DC 10+ ½ level + your intelligence modifier) halves the damage and negates the [Stun] effect.

7th Circle- Rapid deployment: You can now deploy any of your devices as a swift action as well as a move action.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:55:21 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Combat Engineer
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:39:58 AM »
Does Force Field count as a Device? Also, I'd be interested in seeing an option to let turrets attack without using your own standard action. Maybe it could be a 6b option (instead of, not in addition to) or something of the sort?

I like it, and would love to combine this with the Mechanist Savant.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:31:23 AM »
Does Force Field count as a Device? Also, I'd be interested in seeing an option to let turrets attack without using your own standard action. Maybe it could be a 6b option (instead of, not in addition to) or something of the sort?

I like it, and would love to combine this with the Mechanist Savant.
The force field is not a device. All devices are labeled as such.
Turrets attacking by themselves is really powerful, as that would be free standard actions.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:14:57 AM »
So you spend a standard action to have the Autogun fire once with your Bab, modifiers etc?
The Autogun doesnt really seem like much of an advantage unless you place a turret and leave the area. (Range doesn't allow you to.)
Instead of gaining an additional weapon that doesn't take up a weapon slot, how about the turret have 1 + 1 attack per five levels and inflicts a -1 to atk rolls (due to suppression fire) on the opponent for every attack for one round? And making it [Brutal 2] [Pointblank] [Magnum] since it is an ability that gives you a weapon, and a 5% chance to inflict bleeding is a waste of a property.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:18:59 AM »
So you spend a standard action to have the Autogun fire once with your Bab, modifiers etc?
The Autogun doesnt really seem like much of an advantage unless you place a turret and leave the area. (Range doesn't allow you to.)
Instead of gaining an additional weapon that doesn't take up a weapon slot, how about the turret have 1 + 1 attack per five levels and inflicts a -1 to atk rolls (due to suppression fire) on the opponent for every attack for one round? And making it [Brutal 2] [Pointblank] [Magnum] since it is an ability that gives you a weapon, and a 5% chance to inflict bleeding is a waste of a property.
I was thinking that you could deploy the turret and go hide behind a wall or otherwise make it inconvenient to reach you. But you are right, it does need more oomph. I like your suggestion.

mneme

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 03:40:40 PM »
It's a tactical class.  As such, I think turrets attacking by themselves (even if they only do KOM damage) is fine as long as you can't move a turret once placed -- it's an avoidable attack (after the first round), so it's a tactical challenge rather than straight damage.

The turrets just being a straight "I have an extra weapon I attack through" wouldn't feel right -- you'd feel more like a soldier type rather than an engineer.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »
It's a tactical class.  As such, I think turrets attacking by themselves (even if they only do KOM damage) is fine as long as you can't move a turret once placed -- it's an avoidable attack (after the first round), so it's a tactical challenge rather than straight damage.

The turrets just being a straight "I have an extra weapon I attack through" wouldn't feel right -- you'd feel more like a soldier type rather than an engineer.
The tesla coils serve as the auto-damage devices. Turrets are supposed to have more kick but require active control. It doesn't seem right to have the turrets be auto-damage, but being able to throw out several things with their own attacks, even if they are low damage, seems like it is more complex to run that its worth. The tesla coils are just automatic damage with a rider, no rolls at all, so they are simple to handle.

Kalik

• Ranger
  • Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »
3 things regarding disabling the devices

• Disabling the devices should provoke attack of oppertunity
  • Possibly include a way for the engineer to bring their devices back online after it is disabled
  • Disabling the devices could come with a (low) engineering check to see if they are capable of disabling it

The latter 2 points would be moot if "disabling" meant smashing it. In which case, there should should probably be some sort of hp counter so it could be effected by aoe.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 01:49:33 PM »
3 things regarding disabling the devices

• Disabling the devices should provoke attack of oppertunity
  • Possibly include a way for the engineer to bring their devices back online after it is disabled
  • Disabling the devices could come with a (low) engineering check to see if they are capable of disabling it

The latter 2 points would be moot if "disabling" meant smashing it. In which case, there should should probably be some sort of hp counter so it could be effected by aoe.
Disabling it generally does mean smashing it, and I don't see why it would provoke an attack of opportunity any more than smashing a character would. Disabling the device does mean that the engineer no longer counts it against their limit, so they are free to place a new one. I didn't want them to be disabled by AoE- it should be a tactical choice for the enemy to disable a device, not an automatic side effect of them useing AoE.

Kalik

• Ranger
  • Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 02:52:10 PM »
Disabling it generally does mean smashing it, and I don't see why it would provoke an attack of opportunity any more than smashing a character would. Disabling the device does mean that the engineer no longer counts it against their limit, so they are free to place a new one. I didn't want them to be disabled by AoE- it should be a tactical choice for the enemy to disable a device, not an automatic side effect of them useing AoE.
Ah. My confusion came from the interpretation of disabling not being breaking. If that's the case, why would one have to be adjacent?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
Ah. My confusion came from the interpretation of disabling not being breaking. If that's the case, why would one have to be adjacent?
You are right, I should make that easier. I was mainly thinking "I should add a way for enemies to disable these" in passing than working out proper details for it.

Kalik

• Ranger
  • Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 02:57:38 PM »
This could also open the opportunity for another use of the shield generator.... Protecting your other devices.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
This could also open the opportunity for another use of the shield generator.... Protecting your other devices.
hmm, I like that. Trick is figuring out how it should balance in. Actionwise, it would be equivalent to replacing it, though as a pre-emptive measure.  however, on a person a shield only has 2xint hp, so having more on a device seems odd...

Kalik

• Ranger
  • Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 03:26:10 PM »
Move action to place two, which count as one device, and while they don't protect each other, your other things can't be disabled unless these are. Doesn't stack, but makes more things that need to be destroyed, or something like that?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »
Move action to place two, which count as one device, and while they don't protect each other, your other things can't be disabled unless these are. Doesn't stack, but makes more things that need to be destroyed, or something like that?
Hmm. Spend a device, and make them destroy 2 devices before anything else? I feel like that makes it take too much effort to destroy a device. Maybe if they had a hp total instead of requiring a standard action. Maybe they should have hp, but I don't want to make them too complex.