Author Topic: Squad Champion track  (Read 2401 times)

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Squad Champion track
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »
There's a Vigilante track, so why not? Abilities are kind of all over the place and some of the mechanics here are a nightmare to balance by nature, so I doubt my chances at it. Still, it had to be written. :P

Squad Champion

1st Circle - Champion's ArmorEX: You are granted a suit of brightly-coloured armor, which you can call to your person with a dramatic gesture and shouted command. It covers your whole body, including your face, but does not limit your field of vision.
Your armor snaps into existence at the start of combat, pieces fading in to protect you as needed until you can complete your transformation at the start of your turn. The armor provides [Damage Reduction] equal to half your circles in this track (rounded up). In addition it comes with two mundane weapons of your choice, each of which provides an item bonus to attack rolls equal to half your circles in this track (rounded up).

2nd Circle - Combined AttackEX: While you are within [Melee] range of another Squad Champion with this ability, you may take a swift action to aid him for 1 [Round]. If both of you perform identical actions (using the same ability, attacking with a melee/ranged weapon, etc.) then yours is absorbed into his; only the leader's action takes effect, but he gains a +1 bonus to his attack rolls and saving throw DCs, and if the action would deal damage then it deals additional damage equal to the damage of the absorbed action plus both characters' KOMs. A Squad Champion cannot receive aid from more than one character at once in this fashion.

3rd Circle - Heroic DisplayEX: Once per [Encounter] as a standard action, you may strike a dramatic pose and proclaim your presence. Every creature within [Medium] range who can see you must make a Will save (DC = 10 + half your character level + your KOM) or become [Dazed] for 1 [Round] and [Dazzled] for 5 rounds. Even if they succeed on their save, they are still [Dazzled] for 5 rounds.

4th Circle - ColossusEX: Once per [Scene], you may gain the Colossus legendary ability for a single [Encounter].
In addition, up to two characters of this circle may use Combined Attack to aid the same leader at once; the bonuses stack.

5th Circle - Sure StrikeEX: Once per [Encounter], you can declare an attack or use of a damage-dealing ability to be a Sure Strike. Any dice rolls you would make as part of a Sure Strike instead use the average result, rounded down (eg. all attack rolls are treated as rolls of 10, and an attack which dealt 11d6 damage would deal 38 damage). Damage dealt by a Sure Strike cannot be reduced by any means, including [Damage Reduction] and [Resistance]. If the damage dealt by a Sure Strike would reduce a creature to 0hp, then the Sure Strike hits automatically and the target fails all applicable saves against it.

6th Circle - FusionEX: While you are within [Melee] range of one or more Squad Champions with this ability, and all you are under the effects of Colossus, you may all spend standard actions to merge together. In any round where you use this ability you may use Heroic Display as a move action.
While merged you take actions as normal, but share a single space. Only one member of the fusion can take move actions to move their speed per [Round] (carrying the other members with them), though other move actions are still possible; the movement speed of any member of the fusion becomes the average speed of all its members. Any damage dealt to you while fused is split evenly between all members. Finally, select one of your magic items when you gain this ability; all members of the fusion are considered to possess that magic item and be attuned to it, even if this would exceed the normal limit of items they can use at once.
In addition, up to four characters of this circle may use Combined Attack to aid the same leader at once; the bonuses stack.

7th Circle - Heroic ResolveEX: Once per [Encounter], as a move action, you can heal all damage, setting your current hit point total to your maximum HP. Using this ability also resets your uses of Heroic Display and Sure Strike, allowing you to use them again.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:47:22 PM by Prime32 »

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Squad Champion track
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:34:44 PM »
I don't think you should be handing out Legendary abilities as part of a track. we have problems with track features duplicating feats, and Legendary Abilities are a higher level of power.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:39:41 AM »
I see where he's going with it, though, and using a pre-existing mechanic is a pretty elegant way to deal with instead of having to make up a bunch of new rules for summoning your giant robot. I understand your objection, but I'm not sure it's *inherently* unbalancing in this particular instance. I'd have to run the numbers.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 11:05:07 AM »
As you've said, this is inherently difficult to figure out the balance for. But it is a concept I've wanted to see in legend.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 07:03:38 PM »
Circle 2 seems a little weak, but I really like Circle 5. Also, I would not that Circle 5 rounds down.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 07:48:13 PM »
Circle 2 seems a little weak, but I really like Circle 5. Also, I would not that Circle 5 rounds down.
Added a damage boost; clarified.

Kalik

• Ranger
  • Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 12:51:59 AM »
Some things need to be reworded. Combined attack and Fusion mainly. The sentiment is there, but the words just seem jumbled. As well, the killing blow aspect of Sure Strike seems a bit... meta-gamy.