Author Topic: Weapon Scion: Zephyr's Bow track  (Read 2025 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Weapon Scion: Zephyr's Bow track
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:47:35 PM »
Here's another shot at bringing over the Weapon Scion idea from 3.5, this time w/ the new properties and enchantments.

Zephyr's Bow [UNIQUE]
This curved white porcelain shaft with an invisible string fires arrows of compressed air (airows?). It was created and used by a great wind mage named Zephyr. Those willing to take the time and effort to study and use this bow extensively will reap the benefits of Zephyr's handiwork. They learn to become one with the wind, using it to enhance the accuracy and damage of their arrows, detect and repel adversaries, and fly. Naturally, Rangers can make excellent use of it. However, Shamans can also find great utility in the ability to project spells to great distance.

Weapon Scion: Zephyr's Bow track
Unless otherwise specified, the abilities of this track only function while Zephyr's Bow is in your possession. Zephyr's Bow is a [Deft] and [Unbalancing] ranged weapon which deals Force damage instead of Physical damage. Zephyr's Bow is treated as a mundane bow when used by any creature without this track. When being used by any creature with an Intelligence score less than 10, Zephyr's Bow is treated as an improvised Melee weapon having only the [Deft] and [Unbalancing] properties and dealing Physical damage like normal.

1st Circle
Zephyr's Spirit: Zephyr's Bow is treated as a Lesser Magical Item and gains the [Detecting] and [Energized (Force)] enchantments.
Weapon Scion: Disregard the item bonus Zephyr's Bow would receive based upon its item tier. It instead gains a +1 item bonus for every circle you have of this track. Additionally, Zephyr's Bow does not take up a magical item slot.

2nd Circle
Zephyr's Wind: Zephyr's Bow gains the [Brutal 1] property. Also, you gain Flight as a movement mode.

3rd Circle
Primary Gust: Zephyr's Bow is instead treated as a Greater Magical Item and gains the [Distant 1] property and the [Spellstoring] enchantment.

4th Circle
Zephyr's Tornado: Zephyr's Bow gains the [Brutal 2] property and the [Forceful] enchantment.

5th Circle
Secondary Gust: Zephyr's Bow is instead treated as a Relic and gains the [Distant 2] property and the [Masterwork] enchantment.

6th Circle
Zephyr's Impact: Zephyr's Bow gains the [Brutal 3] property and the [Wraithblade] enchantment.

7th Circle
Tertiary Gust: Zephyr's Bow is instead treated as an Artifact and gains the [Distant 3] property. Additionally, its [Detecting] enchantment extends to [Long] range.

Old version w/ strikes.
Spoiler
1st Circle
Zephyr's Spirit: Zephyr's Bow is treated as a Lesser Magical Item and gains the [Detecting] and [Energized (Force)] enchantments. You retain the benefits of the [Deft] property even if Zephyr's Bow is not in your possession.
Slipstream: You gain 5 foot to all movement modes for every circle you have of this track. Additionally, you gain a +1 item bonus to Reflex saves for every odd circle you have of this track. This is a passive ability, and you retain its benefit even if Zephyr's Bow is not in your possession.
Weapon Scion: Disregard the item bonus Zephyr's Bow would receive based upon its item tier. It instead gains a +1 item bonus for every circle you have of this track. Additionally, Zephyr's Bow does not take up a magical item slot.

2nd Circle
Zephyr's Gust 1: Zephyr's Bow is instead treated as a Greater Magical Item and gains the [Brutal 1] and [Distant 1] properties.

3rd Circle
Zephyr's Wind: Zephyr's Bow gains the [Extradimensional], [Flying (w/o movement speed bonus)], and [Spellstoring] enchantments. Also, you gain Flight as a movement mode. You retain the benefits of the [Flying] enchantment even if Zephyr's Bow is not in your possession.

4th Circle
Zephyr's Gust 2: Zephyr's Bow is instead treated as a Relic and gains the [Brutal 2] and [Distant 2] properties.

5th Circle
Zephyr's Tornado: Zephyr's Bow gains the [Adept (Acrobatics and Stealth)], [Forceful], and [Masterwork] enchantments. You retain the benefits of the [Adept] enchantment even if Zephyr's Bow is not in your possession.

6th Circle
Zephyr's Gust 3: Zephyr's Bow is instead treated as an Artifact and gains the [Brutal 3] and [Distant 3] properties. Additionally, its [Detecting] enchantment extends to [Long] range. You do not gain any bonus to a third skill from the [Adept] enchantment.

7th Circle
Zephyr's Impact: Zephyr's Bow gains the [Chameleon] and [Wraithblade] enchantments. You retain the benefits of the [Chameleon] enchantment even if Zephyr's Bow is not in your possession.
For those of you wanting to see the number-crunching that shows this track ends up balanced:
Spoiler
Zephyr's Bow

Artifact Ranged Weapon

Properties
Brutal 3: +6 damage, +1/2 LVLs damage
Deft: +2 to Init
Distant 3: [Extreme] range
Elemental: [Force] damage instead (it's not in the rules now, but I see no reason why it won't be, given Energized)
Unbalancing: Inflict [Flat-Footed] on critical

Enchantments
(1) Adept: +2 to Acrobatics and Stealth only {WORSE}
(1) Energized: +8 [Force] damage
(1) Detecting: Aware of opponents within [Long] range {BETTER}
(1) Extradimensional: Can be summoned instantly
(1) Flying: Flight, +10ft speed {WORSE}
(1) Forceful: Can make opponents within [Close] range [Blown Away]
(1) Masterwork: +1 to Attack rolls
(3) Sophisticated 3: +6 weapon properties
(1) Streamlined: +25ft speed
(2) Spellstoring: Store spell in weapon
(3) Chameleon: Stealth checks w/ swift/immediate action
(3) Wraithblade: Ignore item bonus to AC
(3) further +3 to attack rolls

1 track = 3 lessers, 3 greaters, 1 relic, 1 artifact (FBI)
3+6+3+4=16 magical enchantments
(1 - 0.25) + 1 + (1 + 0.25) + 1 + (1 - 0.25) + 1 + 1 + (1 * 3) + 1 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 16 magical enchantments
artifact itself: 4
(1) +4 to reflex saves, (3) further +3 to attack rolls, and (0)ignoring Shield/Armor-only enchantment requirements = 3
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:56:12 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Weapon Scion: Zephyr's Bow track
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:40:06 PM »
Okay, I realized my numbers had gotten off somewhere. Anyway, I fixed it by removing the movement speed bonus, reflex save bonus, and stealth-related aspects. The track is stand-alone now, so Zephyr's Bow itself doesn't take up an item slot due to the balancing of this track (meaning it stays balanced at any progression and in an FBI build).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:50:16 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:44:11 AM »
I think this is a pretty solid effort. A couple of things.

The [Elemental] weapon property doesn't include [Force] damage, as it's not an energy type. You should probably cut that bit and just say the weapon deals [Force] damage rather than physical damage.

On 3rd circle, Flight normally isn't an enchantment for weapons and doesn't have any effect on items below Relic tier, so you probably want to either make it explicit that this is an exception, or just have the circle grant a flight speed independent of the weapon property.

Spellstoring seems like an odd choice for a track that doesn't grant spellcasting. Any particular reason for it?

The relationship between 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and 5th and 6th could be cleaner — maybe you should trade one of the enchantments at each odd-numbered circle for one of the properties at each even-numbered circle? That way, you're gaining a property and an enchantment at just about every level.

Likewise, I could see spacing the improvements in artifact tier at 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th, though I'm not sure I'm necessary.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:46:56 AM by gkathellar »
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

chris`

• Design and Testing Lead
  • Core Team
  • Minion
  • Dev Team Ballot Box Magic 8-Ball RoC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:36:46 AM »
While I haven't looked carefully at the abilities and would recommend GK's advice to you on that front, I wanted to mention that we explicitly wanted full buy-in to model the concept of a weapon being so central to your character that you would model it with a track.
Chris Campbell
Design and Testing Lead
Rule of Cool Gaming

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 07:11:16 PM »
Thanks for your feedback!

Okay, I dropped the explicit-ness of saying [Elemental (Force)] and [Flying].

The mechanical reason for Spellstoring is so a spellcaster can effectively use spells at much greater range than normal. Some spells are only cast-able within [Close] range, but with a little time investment you can hit someone with that spell from [Extreme] range. I'll admit that the vast majority of this track leans toward Rangers, but I think a Shaman could make good use of it too. Reign of Arrows and Shaman Spellcasting aren't a bad combination w/ Zephyr's Bow, though going FBI to include a defensive track would certainly be advised.
There is a narrative reason as well.

I agree with you about the progression. There are a few things I want at certain circles, but most everything else can be moved around. I'll have to try out some combinations are see how the numbers progress.

I don't necessarily have a problem w/ 1,3,5,7 tier-ing (it's actually what I originally had when I was making this track), and the weirdness of 1,2,4,6 was my attempt to map it roughly to the circles at which you first gain access to each tier.

I'll work on this some more and post again when I've got it smoothed out better.
EDIT: I took out all the clutter of the Strike-Through tags.

~

@Chris: Pardon my lack of comprehension (it's been a pretty long week for me already), but is your statement for or against the idea of item scions?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:18:30 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:05:25 AM »
Okay, I spread out the distribution of properties and enchantments. I'm not entirely happy with it this way, since it seems like circles 1,3,5,7 are much better than 2,4,6 due to the odd circle featuring the tier-ups (which boosts many things simultaneously). I could lump the enchantments away from the odd circles, but then that would result in getting some enchantments too early. What do you think?

The things I want to keep the same are:
> Detecting in C1
> Energized in any circle before it becomes a Greater Magical Item
> Wraithblade in C7
> another layer of Distant at the same circle the weapon tier rises so Detecting will always be 1 range increment behind the weapon's range.

Oh, the narrative (more like the intended fluff than narrative, really) reason for Spellstoring, since I didn't have time to say earlier, is as follows. The arrows are both made (created knocked when the bowstring is drawn back) and hold their shape due to the bow's magic. Since they are basically coated in a magic shell keeping the air in, you can make the energy from a spell you cast envelop the arrow (basically merging w/ its magic shell). Such, the arrow would probably take on the appearance of the spell (fiery arrow for flame strike, rainbow arrow for prismatic spray, crackling arrow for call lightning, etc...). It's not the best or most rational reason, but this was a bow made and used by a mage.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »
Okay, I shuffled a few things around, and I'm happy with the progression now. C1 is a bit front-loaded, and C7 should be fine with just attacking at [Extreme] range, [Detecting] at [Long] range, and +2 [Force] damage. It might be good to move Masterwork to C7 also, since C5 is when Forceful upgrades...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:38:57 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew