Author Topic: Gust mage  (Read 4072 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Gust mage
« on: June 20, 2012, 01:33:40 AM »
Gust mage
This track was made with 1 purpose in mind- tossing enemies around. It inflicts a low of [Blown away] itself, but also amplifies its effectiveness. It designed it so it should be able to stand alone as its own thing, or you can pair it with other tracks to augment them(Just Blade and Iron Magi being the obvious choices). It can do its own spellcasting, or you can have it take a backseat to augment your melee abilities.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Gust mage
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:31:40 AM »
Just make sure you have other tricks up your sleeve as Earthen Liege / Unfinished Cathedral will block you hard.

iemcd

• Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • The Benign Brown Beast
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »
A cool concept, and a good implementation. I particularly enjoy the circle names. Some feedback:

Knock Heads - this appears to be the only ability that can actually throw someone into something and get damage out of it, but it has the restriction that they both have to be creatures. Barring that exception, it would be exactly what I was looking for.

Curbstomp - this doesn't really fit thematically, although I see the mechanical relevance.

Windstorm - "negate [Flying] on them" is an awkward phrasing. I can't think of anything better atm, but I'm sure there is.

Severe Warning - "One" should probably be "Once". I'm also not sure I see the flavor of this. Perhaps some sort of wind armor would work here?

Tornado - conceptually, I feel like this should do damage.

I think [Knocked down] is a lesser form of [Blown away], and I was kind of disappointed to not see it anywhere. I'm not recommending you make anything weaker though, so I suppose that's all good; just something to keep in mind if you need to rebalance.

If you need an ability to add somewhere, recall that fluids can have stagnation points (like the doldrums at the equator). Something involving the [Checked] condition might be appropriate.

EDIT: The list was hard to read, so I got rid of the list tags.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:28:07 AM by iemcd »

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »
So knock heads can be used to toss creature A into creature B and toss creature C into creature D. Do all four creatures take damage or just creature A & B? If so then if you toss Creature A and B into each other do they each take double damage?

I don't like a [precision] source being in this "mage" track.

Also since this is a air based track Vortex should deal normal damage instead of force.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »
A cool concept, and a good implementation. I particularly enjoy the circle names. Some feedback:
  • Knock Heads - this appears to be the only ability that can actually throw someone into something and get damage out of it, but it has the restriction that they both have to be creatures. Barring that exception, it would be exactly what I was looking for.
  • Curbstomp - this doesn't really fit thematically, although I see the mechanical relevance.
  • Windstorm - "negate [Flying] on them" is an awkward phrasing. I can't think of anything better atm, but I'm sure there is.
  • Severe Warning - "One" should probably be "Once". I'm also not sure I see the flavor of this. Perhaps some sort of wind armor would work here?
  • Tornado - conceptually, I feel like this should do damage.
  • I think [Knocked down] is a lesser form of [Blown away], and I was kind of disappointed to not see it anywhere. I'm not recommending you make anything weaker though, so I suppose that's all good; just something to keep in mind if you need to rebalance.
  • If you need an ability to add somewhere, recall that fluids can have stagnation points (like the doldrums at the equator). Something involving the [Checked] condition might be appropriate.
Knock heads- There is 3 body collision to bullrush people into walls.
Curbstomp- I wanted abilities that worked well with a martial build. And since pretty much the entire track would be rendering creature's prone, it seemed reasonable that they would learn to take advantage of that fact.
severe warning- The initial concept was "Lets throw people around like popcorn". I'm picturing the scene where the guy runs up, hits something, and is thrown back.
Knocked down is more like an improved from a [prone] than a lesser form of [blown away]. The point is to push people around, them ending up prone is just a nice side effect.
tornado- It is doing several times your KOM damage and making it difficult to escape, and you are well-suited to toss people back into it.

So knock heads can be used to toss creature A into creature B and toss creature C into creature D. Do all four creatures take damage or just creature A & B? If so then if you toss Creature A and B into each other do they each take double damage?
The intent was to throw A into B, but still invoke the damage even if one didn't move. I've clarified the wording.
I don't like a [precision] source being in this "mage" track.
But its not fully a mage track. I wanted something to capitalize on knocking people prone all over the battlefield.
Also since this is a air based track Vortex should deal normal damage instead of force.
Its not really air-based. I just named everything after air because all the other names I had sucked. Besides, some other people think force and air go together- somebody even suggested a force elementalist as an air bender substitute.

Just make sure you have other tricks up your sleeve as Earthen Liege / Unfinished Cathedral will block you hard.
Hmm, that is a good point. A relic comes into play level 10, and earthen liege can come into play level 6. I dislike it when an ability would shut down a concept like this so completely, so I think I'll add in a clause to do damage even if they cannot be moved. That still hinders you, but you can still do something, and it doesn't negate their immobility, so the spirit of their ability remains intact.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:43:12 AM by Mystify »

iemcd

• Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • The Benign Brown Beast
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:12:36 AM »
Knock heads- There is 3 body collision to bullrush people into walls.
That sounds good, although I cannot find three-body collision (?). And it sounds like that requires you to actually do it yourself, whereas I was picturing throwing people into things. Given Cruel Tumble however (which I read and promptly forgot), I suppose it's just a matter of fluffing.

severe warning- The initial concept was "Lets throw people around like popcorn". I'm picturing the scene where the guy runs up, hits something, and is thrown back.
I think what's confusing me is the requirement that you be hit first, which seems odd. It would make more sense me, for example, if whenever someone missed you you could throw them back, or if you could somehow pre-empt an attack.

Knocked down is more like an improved from a [prone] than a lesser form of [blown away]. The point is to push people around, them ending up prone is just a nice side effect.
[Knocked down] and [Blown away] can both be caused by extreme winds and both affect [Flying] and grounded creatures differently. Both inflict the [Prone] condition on grounded creatures, and both push flying creatures back. Only [Blown away] can move grounded creatures though, which I suppose is really the focus of the track.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »
That sounds good, although I cannot find three-body collision (?). And it sounds like that requires you to actually do it yourself, whereas I was picturing throwing people into things. Given Cruel Tumble however (which I read and promptly forgot), I suppose it's just a matter of fluffing.
Its a feat in the bonus content on the site. It requires a bull rush.
I think what's confusing me is the requirement that you be hit first, which seems odd. It would make more sense me, for example, if whenever someone missed you you could throw them back, or if you could somehow pre-empt an attack.
The initial idea was more like hitting you causes a shockwave to throw them back.

[Knocked down] and [Blown away] can both be caused by extreme winds and both affect [Flying] and grounded creatures differently. Both inflict the [Prone] condition on grounded creatures, and both push flying creatures back. Only [Blown away] can move grounded creatures though, which I suppose is really the focus of the track.
I always viewed [Knocked down] as [Prone] that works differently on flying creatures.

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 10:11:57 PM »
Its a feat in the bonus content on the site. It requires a bull rush.
And to complete the trick, Earth Elemental allows you to Bull Rush from distance.
Legend characters:

Samael Krane, chain-smoking demon paladin.

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 05:59:35 PM »
Is curbstomp saying that you deal an additional 1d6/level damage on a successful attack against a target? Because it currently looks like you just deal 1d6/level to anyone you knock [Prone].

Also, in order to get that "toss people into walls" feeling, I think it would be nice to bullrush opponents at range like the Earth elemental.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 06:12:27 PM by ...You Lost Me »

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 06:12:12 PM »
Is curbstomp saying that you deal an additional 1d6/level damage on a successful attack against a target? Because it currently looks like you just deal 1d6/level to anyone you knock [Prone].
Its meant to be 1d6/circle to [prone] targets on a successful attack. I've rewritten it to mirror assassin.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »
I added a clause to the first circle ability to limit it to activating once per enemy per action. a serpant/showfighter/gust mage could repeatedly inflict [blown away] on a target, so I didn't want that to  explode.