Author Topic: Tendril Warrior  (Read 2072 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Tendril Warrior
« on: June 23, 2012, 11:40:29 AM »
How about those new grappling rules, eh? The second I saw them, I knew they'd be the perfect thing to fill some holes in this track idea I had.

Tendril Warrior track
There are some who channel their magical energy into a flexible and extendable tentacle-like appendage. With it, they learn to engage in melee combat from afar. Most find this tendril to be unsettling at best, due to rumors of its evil nature. It is said that monks in the service of Cthulhu were the originators of this tendril technique.
Assume the normal rules for combat maneuvers unless otherwise specified. A melee weapon with the [Devastating], [Disarming], and [Tripping] properties is recommended.

1st Circle
Mischievous Tendril: You learn to use your tentacle to hamper your opponents from afar. As a move action, you may use the Disarm or Trip combat maneuver on any opponent within [Close] range without applying damage. Additionally, you gain a +1 bonus to the DC of all Disarm and Trip attempts you make.

2nd Circle
You learn to better manipulate your extra appendage. Choose one of the following abilities:
Lithe Tendril: You may use the Grapple combat maneuver on any opponent within [Close] range without applying damage. If successful, you don't need to become adjacent to your opponent, and your opponent becomes [Grappled] by you until they either are no longer within [Close] range of you or pass the Reflex save. If you wish to Grapple more than one opponent at a time, the additional opponents must be adjacent to you or a [Grappled] opponent within [Close] range. You may not use the Pin and Choke combat maneuvers at range.
Lunging Tendril: You may use the Charge combat maneuver on any opponent within [Close] range. When using this ability, you do not move, and your tendril does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Additionally, you do not suffer the AC penalty from charging.

3rd Circle
You learn to make your tentacle writhe around constantly with little effort. Choose one of the following abilities:
Protective Tendril: You may use the Defensive Fighting combat maneuver as a swift action.
Sweeping Tendril: As a swift or immediate action, you threaten all squares within [Close] range until the end of your next turn.

4th Circle
You learn to put more force behind the movements of your extra appendage. Choose one of the following abilities:
Rude Tendril: You may use the Bull Rush combat maneuver on any opponent within [Clone] range without applying damage. You do not advance into your opponent's space when attempting this. Additionally, you gain a +1 bonus to the DC of all Bull Rush attempts you make.
Wrestling Tendril: You may use the Pin combat maneuver on any opponent within [Close] range without applying damage. If successful, you do not become [Grappled], and your opponent becomes [Pinned] by you until they either are no longer within [Close] range of you or pass the Fortitude save. If you wish to Pin more than one opponent at a time, the additional opponents must be adjacent to you or a [Pinned] opponent within [Close] range. You may not use the Choke combat maneuver at range.

5th Circle
You learn to be damaging with your tentacle. Choose one of the following abilities:
Dire Tendril: As a standard action, Mischievous Tendril, Lithe Tendril, Lunging Tendril, Rude Tendril, and Wrestling Tendril now deal [Force] damage equal to your level instead of not applying damage. Additionally, the use of Charge and Defensive Fighting combat maneuvers is not mutually exclusive when the Charge is used through Lunging Tendril. These effects last until the end of the [Encounter].
Reaching Tendril: As a move action, your [Melee] range becomes equal to your [Close] range until the end of your next turn. If you use Sweeping Tendril while Reaching Tendril is in effect, you threaten all squares within [Medium] range.

6th Circle
You learn to hold on to enemies with your extra appendage. Choose one of the following abilities:
Constricting Tendril: You may use the Choke combat maneuver on any opponent within [Close] range. Your opponent remains [Pinned] by you until they either are no longer within [Close] range of you or pass the Fortitude save. If you wish to Choke more than one opponent at a time, the additional opponents must be adjacent to you or a [Pinned] opponent within [Close] range.
Ensnaring Tendril: As a swift action, make an attack roll at your highest base attack bonus. If you hit, your opponent becomes [Entangled] until the end of your next turn. As a swift action, opponents you have [Entangled] with this Ensnaring Tendril are treated as being anchored to an immobile object or tethered by an opposing force.

7th Circle
Horrifying Tendril: Your learn to materialize your tentacle visibly, revealing its horrific appearance. Once per [Scene] as a standard action, all opponents within [Close] range become [Panicked].

~

I hope threatening a square doesn't mean you can melee at that range normally, because I only intended it for AoO.

I'll completely admit that I had no idea what to do with the 7th Circle, which is why its effect is a little incongruous. Though, it is instant [Cowering] if you've immobilized your opponents (which isn't hard with this track)...

Sorry if this is similar to the new Serpent track, but I can assure you I haven't seen it (having never been on IRC/ICQ). I'm actually hoping that the 2 tracks complement each other nicely (aka: without becoming horribly unbalanced).

I know some aspects must not be balanced, so please give feedback.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 07:21:31 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Tendril Warrior
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:23:03 PM »
Dire Tendril kind of sucks. A standard action to apply a little bonus damage? Why not just step into melee and cause much, much more damage?
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:54:57 PM »
Dire lasts for the entire [Encounter] (plus you can use Protective and Lunging in the same turn), but should I still boost its damage anyway?
You're right in that it won't do a whole lot, but the idea of this track is fighting like melee while keeping your distance.

Reaching and Dire may not be quite equal. Reaching is intended for those taking the Grappling route, and Dire is intended for the Charge/BullRush route, if that helps any.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 07:56:47 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:29:09 PM »
I like the concept, but I feel like this falls a bit flat. Or is two powerful. Basically, the ranged grapple seems too powerful, and everything else seems weak.

The ranged grapple is useful, perhaps too useful. It makes it so they can't attack anyone else, but you are no longer positioning yourself next to them, so they may have a problem attacking at all. Switching weapons is not allowed, so if they don't have a weapon that can reach you, they can't attack.
The  ranged pin is also much better than a normal pin. You no longer have to spend move actions maintaining the pin, you just have the subject make continual Save-to-stop-sucking, without the normal cost to yourself, i.e. spending moves and being [grappled].
The choke becomes really minor now. It is no longer needed to maintain the grapple, so it becomes a little bit of extra damage if you don't have something better to spend a move on.
Really, the 2 things that make this a problem are: 1. no need to maintain the pin and 2. no need to stand next to the person you are grappling. They remove fundamental balancing factors to the grapple mechanic

A lot of the abilities are simply letting you use combat maneuvers at range, at the cost of not doing damage. The maneuvers already decay with level as the opportunity cost of not getting a full round rises. This not only does nothing to address that issue, but makes it worse by removing the damage.
Further, many of these abilities are completly subsumed by earth elementals 4th circle, which allows you to make melee attacks at range. This in turn lets you perform most combat maneuvers at range, as the first step is to make a melee attack, and they have no special limitation on these maneuvers. This includes initiating a grapple at range.  This 1 circle duplicates a lot of the function of this track, does it better, and also negates [flying] to boot.  One of the 5th circle options is requiring a move to nearly duplicate the 4th circle passive effect. The main difference is that you also threaten. 

The main remaining ability is the ability to threaten at close-medium range. Which is crazy powerful. Even without any effort, it pretty much guarantees you an AoO. Then you can consider how it would interact with something like knight, which makes you better at AoOs, and its kinda amazing.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:51:25 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 04:39:52 AM »
Quick note, although it is a once per scene panicked lasts until end of encounter. And panic becomes cowering if they cant run. So that no save part of it is a bit over the top.

Tossing a more manageable ability, "when you spend a swift action to activate an ability from this track you may activate three abilities instead of one." I still want it to feel like a 7th circle.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.