Author Topic: Path of Glory / Mahou Shoujo track  (Read 2672 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Path of Glory / Mahou Shoujo track
« on: June 25, 2012, 11:32:07 PM »
Path of Glory / Mahou Shoujo track (Despite the second name of this track, there is no gender restriction.)

Path of Glory: In the heat of battle, a leader relies upon his his wits and intuition. Great generals of history are known to have fought differently from others on the battlefield. While they can still enter the fray alongside their comrades, they also make use their leadership abilities to support their allies and trouble their foes. They are also known for performing legendary feats in times of dire need that can even turn the tide of battle.

Mahou Shoujo: An ordinary girl in all respects happens upon a furry woodland animal and a magical treasure. By following the instruction of the creature, she is able to use the treasure to transform into a magical warrior. She then uses her new power to stave off otherwordly threats, learning to help her friends, reconcile with opponents, and face her fears.

Your Key Offensive Modifier changes to Wisdom, unless your Key Defensive Modifier already is Wisdom. All bonuses from this track are fury bonuses, which do not stack with other tracks’ fury bonuses. A creature benefiting from a fury bonus may not benefit from sources of [Precision] damage.

1st Circle
Henshin(Transformation)EX: You can transform yourself into a magical warrior, a state in which you gain heightened stamina and agility. As both a standard action and move action combined, if you are not [Fatigued], [Exhausted], or using Henshin, you may activate Henshin. While using Henshin, you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls per circle you possess from this track, and a +1 bonus to Fortitude and Reflex saves. You can maintain Henshin for a maximum number of [Rounds] equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier (if positive) at a time and can prematurely deactivate Henshin as a swift action. When Henshin ends, you are [Fatigued] for as many [Rounds] as you have spent using Henshin (minimum 1).
Gestures/TelepathySU: You are adept at nonverbal communication, allowing you to direct your comrades in any situation. / With the aid of your critter, you can contact your nearby friends at any time.
Allies within [Close] range are treated as targets of the World Mind spell as if cast by you.

2nd Circle
Winged GuardianSU: Wings sprout from your new form. While using Henshin, You gain Flight as a movement mode. Additionally, you may make a 5 ft step even during a turn when you use your move action to move.

3rd Circle
Gentle WarriorEX: Your caring nature can be felt by your comrades. While using Henshin, allies within 15ft + 5ft per circle of this track gain [Fast Healing] equal to the sum of your KOM and KDM.

4th Circle
Greater HenshinEX: Your Henshin increases in ease and potency. You may activate Henshin as a standard action. Your bonuses to Fortitude and Reflex saves increase to +2, and you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
Additionally, you gain the following ability:
MediatorEX: You can reason with your enemies, making them lower their guard in addition to their weapon. While using Henshin, you can use the combat encounter application of Diplomacy as part of a move action without halving your movement speed. Additionally, whenever you succeed in the combat encounter application of Diplomacy while using Henshin, you also inflict a -2 penalty to the affected opponent's AC until the beginning of your next turn.

5th Circle
Brave WarriorEX: Your courage instills morale in your comrades. While using Henshin, all allies within 15ft + 5ft per circle of this track gain [Immunity] to [Fear] effects.

6th Circle
Magical HenshinEX: Your Henshin becomes even more natural and powerful. You may activate Henshin as a move action. Your bonuses to Fortitude and Reflex saves increase to +4, and your bonus to AC increases to +2.

7th Circle
Epic HenshinSU: You attain a new level of transformation, but your body can only handle the stress of this power infrequently and in short bursts. Once per [Scene] as a swift action, if you are using Henshin, you may activate Epic Henshin. While using Epic Henshin, the attack, damage, Fortitude, Reflex, and AC bonuses from Henshin as well as the ranges of both Gentle Warrior and Brave Warrior are all doubled, and Henshin will stay active until Epic Henshin ends if it would end before then. You can maintain Epic Henshin for 3 [Rounds] and can prematurely deactivate Epic Henshin as a free action. When Epic Henshin ends, you are [Exhausted] for as many [Rounds] as you have spent using Epic Henshin (minimum 1).

~

The Henshin ability was entirely based on the mahou shoujo genre of anime.
The large action cost to activate Henshin was done to poke fun at how transformation sequences can take a while, often without time passing in the anime.
It diminishes due to the fact that most anime in this genre shorten the transformation sequence as the show goes on.

I gave two fluffs for this track since they are vastly different (and so male characters wouldn't feel strange taking a track named "mahou shoujo"), but both apply well.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:18:32 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Path of Glory / Mahou Shoujo track
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 12:59:09 AM »
"poking fun at how long the sequences take" is not really a good reason to have such a high cost, when you aren't really getting anything for it.
Gentle warrior is pretty much identical to incantation's 3rd circle Shaman's Presence, except Shaman's presence is a 30ft radius while this is [melee]. While [Melee] could be larger, that takes some effort and is not typical.

My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 01:25:02 AM »
Considering that the world is usually "frozen" during transformation it does not really take any time whatsoever :}

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 08:14:50 AM »
I'm well aware of the fact that time doesn't usually pass during a transformation sequence, which is why I mentioned it in the same comment about poking fun at it. Also, Mystify, I don't really care if you don't think it's a good reason or not. Besides, I'd say that getting flight at C2 (1 circle early, albeit w/o anything extra), being able to broadcast C5 (since it isn't in Rage or Dervish), and the sheer strength of C7 make up for the increased action cost of activating C1. That and it isn't such a high price, plus it diminishes. Not to mention that at 20th Level with an Artifact dedicated to [Reach] through [Sophisticated], you can have an 80ft melee range (5ft better than [Short] range). It may not be typical for other tracks, but it's certainly a good idea for this one. If I made C3 or C5 any stronger, the fact that you can broadcast it over such a wide area would make their abilities unbalanced.

Change: C4's AC penalty was increased to -2.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:42:21 AM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:15:43 AM »
I'm well aware of the fact that time doesn't usually pass during a transformation sequence, which is why I mentioned it in the same comment about poking fun at it. Also, Mystify, I don't really care if you don't think it's a good reason or not. Besides, I'd say that getting flight at C2 (1 circle early, albeit w/o anything extra), being able to broadcast C5 (since it isn't in Rage or Dervish), and the sheer strength of C7 make up for the increased action cost of activating C1. That and it isn't such a high price, plus it diminishes. Not to mention that at 20th Level with an Artifact dedicated to [Reach] through [Sophisticated], you can have an 80ft melee range (5ft better than [Short] range). It may not be typical for other tracks, but it's certainly a good idea for this one. If I made C3 or C5 any stronger, the fact that you can broadcast it over such a wide area would make their abilities unbalanced.

Change: C4's AC penalty was increased to -2.
A move and a standard is pretty much forfeiting an entire turn. At circle 1, you have the full brunt of the action cost, and there is nothing about it better than rage. In fact, it is distinctly weaker than rage. 2nd circle flight is still not worth it, as 1st circle flight exists still, and whatever advantage that brings is very temporary.
Melee range extenders are being limited. Reach is not going to stack, and unicorn is not going to double it, so it won't get that large. And even  if it did, it won't be that large at circle 3, so at that point it is still underpowered, with an insanely high action cost in order to get it.
Even once you get greater henshin, you are still losing your standard action, aka your attack. regaining the move action lets you manuever, perhaps do a minor effect, but you are still mainly out of the combat for the first round. That is a really high cost, and there is still nothing even remotely worth i t.
Brave warrior is nice, but considering judgement  gets immunity to [fear] as part of 3rd, alongside the very juicy bonuses of +3 to all saves and +2 hp/level, a 5th circle effect to broadcast it seems reasonable by itself.
at 6th circle, you now have a semi-reasonable action cost, as it is not preventing you from attacking for an entire turn now, though it is still expensive for what it gives you.
7th circle is very nice, but I'm not sure its better than a full res.

There is literally nothing in the track that makes it even remotely worth the action cost. The action cost not only weakens  this track, but it interferes with anything else you may have in the build. If you insist on having a higher action cost, then it better be getting something worthwhile out of it. Especially at the levels where it has the highest cost. If you have the cost at 1st, you need to give them something for it at 1st. You are giving them less for increased cost. That is what I meant by it not being a good reason- it doesn't excuse it from needing to be balanced, and the balance of this track does not justify it.
Consider that combat is expected to last 3-5 rounds. If you lose a turn worth of actions, you  are contributing 1/3 -1/5 less offensively. Lets call it 1/4 to split the difference. If the track is dictating that you are cutting out 1/4 of your output, it needs to be giving something to make up for the lost effort. At 1st circle, you need a lot more basic boosts to be worth the time. losing a round to get a +1 attack and damage and +1 fort and reflex is not worth it. There have been times when I didn't think it was worth the swift action to activate it. 2nd circle may give you a slight advantage for a few levels, but by circle 3 the early advantage is lost, and so 3 should be giving something more to make up for the advantage fading. At circle 3, the natural reach is 10ft. 15ft with a reach weapon. With how things will work, to get a really long reach you would essentially be forcing them into utter brute(which does not mesh with the concept, even) , giving a total of +20 to the range, counting reach, on top of the 25 normal, and perhaps another +5 for large. that gives you a 50 reach, at 20, IF you make yourself in a large brute. otherwise it will just end up at 30, but take the entire time till level 20 to get there.
It is also possible to  boost circles by giving something else in parallel when you are concerned with something scaling too aggressively.
then you get to greater henshin, and it is still taking your standard, which still means the 1/4 reduction in power is in effect. Somewhat mitigated if they have a move action attack, but those are still relatively weak. +1 fort and will are nice, as is +1 AC, and the mediator is a nice bonus to help round it out. This at least allows you to use diplomacy on the first round and debuff an enemy.
Brave warrior is a nice ability, I will admit. But I don't think its especially powerful for 5th circle. consider that it is only usable if there is a [fear] effect used in the first place. I wouldn't use this as  an ability to justify an extra action cost.
Magical henshin is currently a very nice power boost, as it restores the missing 1/4 turn. But that is purely relative, as there wasn't anything justifying that cost. If there was, this would be a very potent ability. As it is, it is closer to restoring competency
and by 7th, any premise of it being used to justify the action cost is meaningless, as the action cost is mostly gone.

My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:18:08 PM »
Changes:
I defined an intermediate range so I didn't have to spell it out each time I used it.
The ranges of Gentle and Brave were increased.
You additionally get World Mind on all [Close] allies at C1 (it needed 2 fluffs as there was no way one explanation could be applicable to both fluffs).
You get the equivalent of the [Reacting] property at C2.

I believe that provides enough extra functionality at earlier levels while still not being too huge of a boost that by C6 it balances out with the activation cost nicely.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:26:37 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew