Author Topic: Fatemaster(1.0 update)  (Read 4243 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Fatemaster(1.0 update)
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:21:15 PM »
Fatemaster
This track is concerned less with doing things and is more about manipulating things. The concept is distinct from Fortune's Friend, which deals with being very  lucky, and instead is about actively manipulating fate. The can be conceptually combined, saying that the Fortune's Friends effects are the passive effects of manipulating fate to make yourself lucky, but they are doing very different things.

Fatemaster

Some people are blessed by fate, and ride it to great success. Others are oppressed by fate, destined to amount to nothing. Others still reject fate, and twist it to their will.

Circle 1- Guide FateSU: As a move action, you can guide the fate of an ally within [Close] range, granting them a +1 bonus to attack rolls for every odd circle of Fatemaster you possess for 2 [Rounds].

Circle 2- Nudge FateSU: You gently nudge the fate of your friends, sparing them some of the agony that would be in store. As an immediate action, you can prevent your level +KOM in damage from affecting any ally within [Close] range. This must be done as the damage is being dealt, but may be activated after you know exactly how much damage the effect will deal.

Circle 3- Bend FateSU: Your ability to bend fate allows you to take attacks meant for one person and give them to another. Once per [Encounter], as an immediate action, you can change the target of an ability or attack targeting an ally in [Close] range to instead target a different ally who would be a valid target for the ability. This choice must be made before you know the result of the ability or attack.

Circle 4- Twist FateSU: Once per [Encounter], as a standard action, you can give the fate of one creature to another. Both creatures must be within [Close] range. Select one creature to be the recipient of the conditions, and one to be the donor. If the recipient wishes, they may make a will save to negate this effect. If they fail the save, or forgo the save, then the conditions from the following list currently affecting the donor are removed, and are instead applied to the recipient. The durations of the conditions are unaffected. The valid conditions to transfer are [Battered], [Bleeding], [Blinded], [Confused], [Cowering], [Dazed], [Dazzled],[Deafened],[Entangled], [Exhausted], [Fatigued], [Frightened], [Nauseated],[Panicked],[Paralyzed], [Petrified],[Shaken], [Sickened], or [Stunned].

Circle 5- Reverse FateSU: Once per [Encounter], as a swift action, you can heal an ally within [Close] range an amount equal to how much [Hp reduction] they possess, up to a maximum of half their normal maximum hp. If this will heal them more than their current maximum, the excess is gained as temporary hit points.

Circle 6 – Seal FateSU: Once per [Encounter], as a standard action, you can turn fate against a creature, inflicting the [Energy  drained] condition 4 times. A successful will save negates this effect.

Circle 7 – Defy FateSU: 4 times per [Scene], as a standard action, you can deny a creatures ultimate fate, resurrecting a [Dead] creature within [Close] range, who has full hit points and ability resources when resurrected.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:34:04 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fatemaster
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »
I like it a lot. Though, Circle 7 seems like a lot of other tracks' Circle 7, only with the limitation that you can only use it on other people and FAR more often. Maybe 2 times per [Scene] instead of 4?
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:58:44 PM »
I like it a lot. Though, Circle 7 seems like a lot of other tracks' Circle 7, only with the limitation that you can only use it on other people and FAR more often. Maybe 2 times per [Scene] instead of 4?
Its already inferior to shaman 7. With shaman 7, you could learn miracle as one of your spells, and use it 4 times to per scene, and only resurrect people with it, and you would have this circle. And it would have the flexibility to use the rest of miracle, or use a different spell, instead.
Its not just limited to being on other people, it takes a standard action. Compared to no action for the self-res abilities. That swing alone justifies the increased uses. 
If I was to alter the circle, I'd want to add in another option for the uses. The idea I had was to counter a resurrection, but thats not a good idea.

gralamin

• Tactician
  • Minion
  • Sentient Construct
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Art Aficionado Capricorn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 09:47:40 PM »
This seems a bit over the place. It has a bit of buffing, a bit of healing, a bit of attacks, etc. This lack of focus really hurts the track in my mind, as it seems to be more 'Utility alphabit soup' then 'connected abilities'.

Also you forgot the [Encounter] in reverse Fate.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 10:02:48 PM »
This seems a bit over the place. It has a bit of buffing, a bit of healing, a bit of attacks, etc. This lack of focus really hurts the track in my mind, as it seems to be more 'Utility alphabit soup' then 'connected abilities'.

Also you forgot the [Encounter] in reverse Fate.
buffing and healing are not diverse concepts; its pretty much the core of shaman spellcasting, for instance. There is damage mitigation, which is the other side of healing, and some debuffs, the other side of buffs. Resurrection is just the most extreme aspect of healing.
So it does :
Healing and damage mitigation
buffs and debuffs.
That is hardly unfocused.

And I think the fluff connects them very nicely. Each abilities name is a clear progression from the previous, and the mechanical effects are nicely linked to it, and also progress in power properly.

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »
1) Can you use these abilities on yourself?

2) I'm confused about how Reverse Fate works. Is the basic point of this ability to give people temp HP?

3) This seems like a very, very potent buffmancer. I'm considering putting it on just about all of my characters, which is usually a sign that it's too strong. This guy is basically a god of sustaining...

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »
1) In Legend, you're your own ally (and effects that only affect other allies say so).

2) It reverses [HP reduction]. If you have 3 points of reduction (and are at your current maximum HP), it gives you 3 points of Temp. HP, reverting your current HP to what it was before the reduction. If you're one point below your current maximum HP, it heals you one point and grants you 2 points of Temp. HP.
Legend characters:

Samael Krane, chain-smoking demon paladin.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »
1) Can you use these abilities on yourself?

2) I'm confused about how Reverse Fate works. Is the basic point of this ability to give people temp HP?

3) This seems like a very, very potent buffmancer. I'm considering putting it on just about all of my characters, which is usually a sign that it's too strong. This guy is basically a god of sustaining...
1) yes, you are your own ally.

2) reverse fate kinda sorta counters hp reduction. You basically turn their [hp reduction] into healing, and the temp hp allows you to basically refill their health into the gap created by the [hp reduction]. Its a healing effect, basically, with an uncommon mechanism for determining how much you heal.

3)It is very action hungry, so its not that good a mix with all characters. And the buffs are reasonable. Look at 1st circle tactical insight. Its a +3, and it affects all allies, and lasts the entire encounter. This affects 1 guy for a couple of turns. and tactical insight is being buffed. OR compare an incanted bless. +1/circle, and lasts the entire encounter, as well as being compatible with bastion. This requires you to keep spending move actions to maintain it on somebody, conflicting with your own mobility and move actions.
And the other circles aren't really buffs.
Can you be more specific about what you think is overpowered about it? The 1st circle? Something else?

1) In Legend, you're your own ally (and effects that only affect other allies say so).

2) It reverses [HP reduction]. If you have 3 points of reduction (and are at your current maximum HP), it gives you 3 points of Temp. HP, reverting your current HP to what it was before the reduction. If you're one point below your current maximum HP, it heals you one point and grants you 2 points of Temp. HP.
Thats a clearer way of saying it, thank you.

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:52:39 AM »
Well, I'm just thinking that normally in combat, an assassin or sage will need the help of battlefield control or a heavy disrupter to save them, but the fatemaster just can push away damage, give heals, and even remove debilitating conditions. It just seems to make people who run in and deal damage so much more potent...

In addition, I was thinking this went very well with a melee attacker who just buffs their damage. Because you can get the to-hit as a move action, enemies need to keep on the move or else he gets even more dangerous, and he has automatic damage mitigation abilities (of course, removing [stunned] from yourself won't work when you're stunned).

Maybe it's just me. I'll stop freaking out.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 01:16:30 AM »
Well, I'm just thinking that normally in combat, an assassin or sage will need the help of battlefield control or a heavy disrupter to save them, but the fatemaster just can push away damage, give heals, and even remove debilitating conditions. It just seems to make people who run in and deal damage so much more potent...

In addition, I was thinking this went very well with a melee attacker who just buffs their damage. Because you can get the to-hit as a move action, enemies need to keep on the move or else he gets even more dangerous, and he has automatic damage mitigation abilities (of course, removing [stunned] from yourself won't work when you're stunned).

Maybe it's just me. I'll stop freaking out.
The action to mitigate damage is pretty much completely inferior to lesser resistance, applying to only one attack a round, and taking an action. I wouldn't necessarily want this on most builds simply because it is rather action hungry. It is not a passive augmenting track, you have to actively manipulate fate.  It can be used with a martial build, sure, but it will probably be more at home on a support role, who can stand in the back and spend their move actions buffing and their swift actions on support, while using their standards primarly for an active support role like spellcasting.
I did intend for it to work nicely with fortune's friend. Specifically, you could transfer an allys conditions to yourself then negate them.

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 01:47:42 AM »
Cool beans, well it's a #1 choice for a character I'm writing up right now for a one-shot, along with that Dragonborn. If anyone picks it, I'll tell you the results.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fatemaster(1.0 update)
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 11:25:04 AM »
This has been updated to 1.0