Author Topic: Feat: Skill Flexibility  (Read 3006 times)

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
Feat: Skill Flexibility
« on: June 29, 2012, 04:25:55 AM »
Inspired by some discussion on the forums and IRC channel:

You have learned to perform well in a skill by putting your personal strengths to it.
Benefit: Select one of your trained skills and one ability score. You may substitute its associated ability score with your chosen ability score.
The new ability score must be physical (Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution) if the original ability score is physical, or mental (Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma) if the original ability score is mental.
Obviously, this is a more general approach to Sinister Sinews. But with the generality comes a loss of power: While SS affects all Cha-based [Fear] DCs Skill Flexibility affects only Skill Checks. I might consider adding a clause that re-associates the passive bonuses from Athletics and Vigor to the new ability as well, but I'm not sure about that from a balance standpoint. Are those features considered a necessary buff to the skills or their associated ability scores?

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Feat: Skill Flexibility
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:36:53 PM »
Vigor's passive bonuses were definitely designed with making Constitution important in mind.

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
Yeah, this kills the skill applications of constitution and strength, which are weak and need improvement to begin with, but still... yeah.

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »
Though Damage Reduction and bonus damage are already pretty awesome, so said scores don't need that much extra support.
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »
Though Damage Reduction and bonus damage are already pretty awesome, so said scores don't need that much extra support.
I disagree. Maybe at level 1, where 1-2 bonus damage is a big deal, DR could be potent. But flat DR and damage bonuses depreciate with level, to the point where at level 20, DR 3 is laughable because on a single hit opponents will be dealing somewhere in the range of 90x that amount. The same goes for bonus damage, and in fact strength is probably worse off because it's used less.

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 06:12:05 PM »
That would hold if the biggest part of the damage done by physical classes wasn't done with attacks, and if scores stayed the same throughout the game. A character can easily hit 30 Con at L20 if he wants. Five DR versus every attack- 20 damage deflected per attack action. Similarly, 20 damage extra per attack action.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:16:53 PM by Exelixi »
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
5 DR is also the amount of DR negated by [Magnum] weapon. I'm not sure I've made a character without easy access to that. [Elemental] weapons also laugh at DR.

Of course, someone heavily focusing on Con (which you'd have to do for 30 Con) would have Vigor trained, and get full Con to DR.

Still, the DR (and Vigor) are the only use Con has. Well, aside from holding your breath.
Legend characters:

Samael Krane, chain-smoking demon paladin.