Author Topic: Shield Scion: Rambar's Bulwark track  (Read 3878 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Shield Scion: Rambar's Bulwark track
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »
I'd say it's about time for a shield.

Rambar's Bulwark [UNIQUE]
This large square shield is a veritable wall. It was forged by a renowned Dwarven blacksmith named Rambar for his first son. In the many years since, this heirloom has been passed down Rambar's family line through the eldest son each generation. Though Rambar's genetic line died out, dwarves everywhere have heard the tales of great battles of old won with the help of this mighty shield. One who finds this shield and dedicates his effort to learning how to properly utilize it will find his defenses improved in nearly every way imaginable.

Shield Scion: Rambar's Bulwark track
Unless otherwise specified, the abilities of this track only function while Rambar's Bulwark is in your possession. Rambar's Bulwark is treated as a mundane shield when used by any creature without this track.

1st Circle
Rambar's Resistance: Rambar's Bulwark is treated as a Lesser Magical Item. Additionally, choose [Fire], [Cold], [Acid], or [Electricity]; you gain [Lesser Resistance] to that damage type.
Shield Scion: Disregard the deflection bonus Rambar's Bulwark would receive based upon its item tier. It instead gains a +1 deflection bonus for every circle you have of this track. Additionally, Rambar's Bulwark does not take up a magical item slot.

2nd Circle
Rambar's Fortification: Rambar's Bulwark gains the [Masterwork] and [Resilient] enchantments. Your first choice for the [Resilient] enchantment must be Fortitude.

3rd Circle
Rambar's Recovery: Rambar's Bulwark is instead treated as a Greater Magical Item and gains the [Bolstering] and [Resistant] enchantments. Each choice for the [Resistant] enchantment must be different, and no choice may match the element chosen for Rambar's Resistance.

4th Circle
Rambar's Revenge: Rambar's Bulwark gains the [Proactive] enchantment.

5th Circle
Rambar's Vitality: Rambar's Bulwark is instead treated as a Relic and gains the [Vital] enchantment.

6th Circle
Rambar's Protection: Rambar's Bulwark gains the [Fortress] enchantment.

7th Circle
Rambar's Defense: Rambar's Bulwark is instead treated as an Artifact and gains the [Unbending] enchantment.

For those of you wanting to see the number-crunching that shows this track ends up balanced:
Spoiler
shield scion: rambar's bulwark [UNIQUE]
   (1) masterwork: +1 to ac
   (1) resilient: +2 to all saves
   (2) resistant: elemental lesser resistance
      boost (4th element) counts for an additional enchantment point (a fraction thereof, but oh well)
   (2) vital: +level to health
   (2) bolstering: fast healing
   (2) proactive: kdm damage to [melee] range enemies
   (3) fortress: immunity to a lot of conditions
   (3) unbending: lesser resistance to all damage types
   =16
progression: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:08:59 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Shield Scion: Rambar's Bulwark track
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 01:21:32 PM »
Rambar's Bulwark is treated as a Lesser Magical Item and gains the [Resistant] enchantment, with a Lesser tier effect equal its effect for higher tiers.
I assume you meant that to allow the Lesser Item to grant the benefit from an enchantment that'd normally require at least a Greater Item, but that's really poorly worded.
Legend characters:

Samael Krane, chain-smoking demon paladin.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
It's not getting the Greater tier effect early (another track I'm working on does do that, though). I essentially added on a Lesser tier to that enchantment, meaning that you end up w/ [Lesser Resistance] to all 4 energy types from this enchantment by L20. I tweaked the wording a bit.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 01:54:15 PM »
You may want to just grant Lesser Resistance at 1st circle, then, move Resistant back to when it gets Greater, and specify that Resistant can't offer the same type as Rambler's Resistance.

I quite like what you're doing with these Scion tracks, by the way. They're an interesting implementation of the Item PB system in a track-oriented format.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 02:15:06 PM »
You're right, that way is clearer; I have changed it to that.

Thank you. :) I really liked the concept from 3.5's Unearthed Arcana supplement, but I always felt that not much was done with it since most players would rather buy a slightly weaker weapon with their money than dedicate levels to one (plus, supplements never got much attention due to how many there were). Legend, especially with the advent of Enchantment PB, makes it easy to implement the idea.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:44:46 PM »
well, it's nice, but... I doesn't do anything. These are just some passive bonuses, and don't actually assist the character in tanking (no harrying, no challenges). To a player it's like "Congrats, you have lost a magic item slot, you are harder to hit, and monsters will now ignore you even more!"

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »
well, it's nice, but... I doesn't do anything. These are just some passive bonuses, and don't actually assist the character in tanking (no harrying, no challenges). To a player it's like "Congrats, you have lost a magic item slot, you are harder to hit, and monsters will now ignore you even more!"
Well, you don't actually lose a magic item slot (read the 1st circle again), and you'll have two or three tracks left for attracting the monsters' attention.

Not to mention that there're characters aplenty who don't mind being ignored so they can do their own stuff.
Legend characters:

Samael Krane, chain-smoking demon paladin.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »
I'd say that [Resistance] to elemental damage and [Lesser Resistance] to all other types of damage, 8 [Fast Healing], +20 to max health, and [Immunity] to several status effects can assist a tanker, and it'll stack with other tracks since all of these benefits are item/deflection bonuses.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:56:33 AM »
It's not that it's helpful for characters who specialize in something, it's that there are literally no actions provided or common actions incentivized with this. I don't think I can see a single track that does that--passive buffs are given to attacks, or incentive is given to combat maneuvers, or you're given actions to cast spells/use abilities.

This guy doesn't do any of that, and it doesn't sit well with me. I'm not fantastic a judge of numbers, so I can't personally say how well this synergizes with a harrier, but... I dunno, it would just be nice with some bonuses to bullrush, or a shield bash or some sort of shield-turns-into-a-force-field sort of thing.

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 01:29:40 AM »
It's a defence track. It makes you survive. That's what a defence track does. The rest can be left to your two or three other tracks.
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 01:36:11 AM »
Yes, many defensive tracks don't do anything active. They have the distinct advantage of not getting in the way when you do other things. A track is not a character, and a single track does not need to provide everything you would want in a character.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 01:50:11 AM »
Having looked again at the defensive tracks in core, I agree with you guys. Sorry to take up space.