Author Topic: Weapon Scion: Massacre track  (Read 3409 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Weapon Scion: Massacre track
« on: June 30, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »
And now for something devilish.

Massacre [NON-UNIQUE]
Evil bearing the promise of power has a significant allure. Many a warrior gives in to this temptation, calling forth a wicked weapon from the abyss. The young seek it so they may become strong now, and the old seek it so they may reclaim their former strength. If this darkness deems them worthy, they are granted its tainted power. This evil forms a symbiotic relationship, leeching off of its host to survive. These weapons have led to the ruin of numerous warriors, but those who can bear its torture are able to unleash far worse upon their adversaries. Though most fighters wielding it become pariahs feared by their allies, those few who have managed to tame it generally gain great renown for their prowess.

Weapon Scion: Massacre track
Unless otherwise specified, the abilities of this track only function while Massacre is in your possession. Massacre is a [Brutal 3] melee weapon. Massacre is treated as a mundane weapon when used by any creature without this track. If an enchantment bestowed by this track would have no effect given Massacre's current tier, Massacre still benefits from that enchantment's lowest tier effect.

1st Circle
Consumption: You learn to suppress the darkness when it is not needed and redirect its insatiable hunger when it is needed. Massacre is treated as a Lesser Magical Item and gains the [Extradimensional] and [Drinking] enchantments.
DecayEX: This wickedness constantly eats away at both your mind and body. You suffer a -1 penalty to your Will saves for every circle you have of this track. Additionally, you take damage equal to your level at the end of every [Round] in which you wielded Massacre. This damage is not subject to being lessened, diminished, ignored, or negated by any reduction, resistance, condition, or immunity.
Weapon Scion: Disregard the item bonus Massacre would receive based upon its item tier. It instead gains a +1 item bonus for every circle you have of this track. Additionally, Massacre does not take up a magical item slot.

2nd Circle
Havoc: Your weapon makes up for your lack of skill in battle. Massacre gains the [Magnum] and [Parrying] properties and the [Masterwork] and [Spiteful] enchantments.

3rd Circle
Dreadful Consumption: Your attacks cut deep, both mentally and physically. Massacre is instead treated as a Greater Magical Item and gains the [Flesheater] and [Battle Cry] enchantments.

4th Circle
No Escape: You deny your opponents the ability to flee from your presence. Massacre gains the [Warpeater] and [Wingeater] enchantments.

5th Circle
Slaughterous Consumption: Your attacks feast on the life of your opponents. Massacre is instead treated as a Relic and gains the [Hearteater] enchantment.

6th Circle
Carnage: You take advantage of weaknesses in your opponents' defenses while bolstering your own. Massacre gains the [Neutralizing] and [Wraithblade] enchantments.

7th Circle
Calamitous Consumption: Your attacks even feast on the magic of your opponents. Massacre is instead treated as an Artifact and gains the [Spelleater] enchantment.

For those of you wanting to see the number-crunching that shows this track ends up balanced:
Spoiler
weapon scion: massacre [NON-UNIQUE]
   [brutal 3]: +6 and some damage
   [magnum]: ignore 5 pts of dr or resistance
   [parrying]: reduce damage by kdm
   (1) masterwork: +1 to atk rolls
   (1) sophisticated: +2 properties
   (1) extradimensional: can come/go whenever
   (1) flesheater: inflict [on fire] / [bleeding]
   (1) neutralizing: +1 to ac every time you hit
   (2) drinking: heal on hit
   (2) battle cry: inflict frightened
   (2) spiteful: bonus damage on failed save
   (2) warpeater: hit loses teleportation
   (2) wingeater: hit loses flying
   (3) wraithblade: ignore ac bonus
   (3) spelleater: hit causes dispell
   (3) hearteater: hit causes battered
   decay: -cicle to will saves; -level to hit points at the end each round
   24 - 8(decay) = 16
   progression: 3, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 3

destruction, desecreation, defilement, annihilation, obliteration, eradication, ruin, elimination, extermination, disintegration, abolition, extirpation, macabre, morbid, mortify

Note that due to being Extradimensional, the Decay ability only works while you have your weapon summoned. Such, you generally only lose health in battle and don't have the Will penalty in social encounters.
I believe that Decay balances out the benefit of the extra enchantments, but feel free to chime in if you feel it should be more debilitating.

Massacre could model Soul Edge (of the Soul Calibur fighting video game series) pretty well and maybe even Venom's symbiote (of the Spiderman comic book series).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:01:47 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Aquarius Eye of Seeing Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Weapon Scion: Massacre track
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »
You've got my attention. Now to see how t holds up against the balance experts.  8)

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »
Decay is pretty rough on you, and quite a few of the enchantments are situational in nature, so I tend to think this holds up in terms of balance. Cool idea, in any case.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »
Thank you, I'm glad you both like it!
I knew I had to make a weapon with all the "-eater" enchantments. That and this bears a little of the "Taint" flair from 3.5's Unearthed Arcana supplement.

@GK: That's what I was hoping for. Getting [Drinking] right away, the fact that 2 attacks can restore what health you lose, and that you can dismiss Massacre on a turn you won't attack all help to offset it.

The health drain being based on level encourages players to take it in a quicker progression, which sort of mimics how the evil is consuming your focus.
Also, since someone with Virtue is much better equipped to handle Massacre, it kind of reinforces the idea of a holy warrior being able to quell the evil he must bear. These types would generally want Virtue to be on a quicker progression than Massacre to get Dawnsign ASAP.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:45:44 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
This track seems almost perfect for somebody like this.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 06:00:19 PM »
It was designed partially with that in mind, hence my final statement in the first post that says it models Soul Edge (the weapon Nightmare wields) well. ;)
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 01:20:14 AM »
. . . I love it. Now make Soulcalibur.
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 01:51:18 AM »
It was designed partially with that in mind, hence my final statement in the first post that says it models Soul Edge (the weapon Nightmare wields) well. ;)
Can you make the names a bunch of nightmare/venom puns? Maybe make fun of Raistlin?

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 06:07:47 PM »
@Ex: Well, I just posted my half-finished attempt at Massacre's inverse. To no surprise, coming up w/ abilities for it was harder than it was for Massacre.

@YouLostMe: I'd rather keep this track away from any specific IP/franchise since I've already done 3 tracks more directly inspired by other media. It wasn't entirely inspired by Soul Edge anyway, as there are many consuming evil powers in various forms of media. Truth be told, most of the idea for this track was actually from the possessing internet spider (no idea what it was called) in ReBoot.

I don't know who Raistlin is. Note that I have played neither Soul Calibur 4 nor 5.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 08:18:30 PM »
I don't know who Raistlin is.
The emoest of all mages from Dragonlance.
Legend characters:

Samael Krane, chain-smoking demon paladin.