Author Topic: Weapon Scion: Salvation track  (Read 2891 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Weapon Scion: Salvation track
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:00:18 PM »
Since it was requested, here's roughly the opposite of Massacre. Whereas Massacre is intensely-focused on disabling and killing others (so focused that it injures you), Salvation is focused on increasing your survivability while still providing effectiveness in combat.

Salvation [NON-UNIQUE]
"Never given in! Never give up! Keep fighting!" As these thoughts swirl through your mind, you lie bloodied on a battlefield amidst countless other soon-to-be casualties. You're not sure if the groans you hear are your own or from those lying around your broken body. Your consciousness slips, yet those phrases keep ringing in your mind. Though your physical form may be unable to continue, your determination has not yet been defeated. Slowly, a cold light begins to appear in your vision. Is it the moon? Are your eyes even open? As the light grows, your survival instinct urges you to reach for it. As your hand draws closer, the light grows in intensity until you're left alone in a soothing white void. You can feel that your hand is holding something, and as the whiteness fades, you find yourself leaning on a mighty blade. Your wounds are mending themselves rapidly, and you can feel strength and control returning to your limbs. Standing erect, you gaze over the destruction as the lone survivor. To think that a single warrior could take out an entire elite regiment. "Why was I spared by this grand weapon? Was my will to live stronger than the others? What is it that makes me deserve a second chance?" As these questions begin to overflow, the visage of the one who slayed your comrades becomes ever-clearer in your mind's eye. Why this weapon saved and sustains you and where it came from are irrelevant details now, because you know what you'll do with the life it gave back to you.

Weapon Scion: Salvation track
Unless otherwise specified, the abilities of this track only function while Salvation is in your possession. Salvation is a [Brutal 3] melee weapon. Salvation is treated as a mundane weapon when used by any creature without this track.

1st Circle
HopeEX: You always keep your protector nearby, making you feel healthier. Salvation is treated as a Lesser Magical Item and gains the [Extradimensional] enchantment, and you gain an item bonus to your maximum hit points equal to your level.
Rejuvenation/RecoveryEX: This sword fills you with life when you need it. You have [Fast Healing] equal to your level every [Round] in which you wielded Salvation. This healing is not subject to being lessened, diminished, or negated by any condition.
Weapon Scion: Disregard the item bonus Salvation would receive based upon its item tier. It instead gains a +1 item bonus for every circle you have of this track. Additionally, Salvation does not take up a magical item slot.

2nd Circle
Help: Your weapon makes up for your lack of skill in battle. Salvation gains the [Guardian] and [Parrying] properties.

3rd Circle
Wounded HopeEX: Your wounds aren't as deep as they appear. Salvation is instead treated as a Greater Magical Item, and you gain [Immunity] to the [Bleeding] condition.

4th Circle
Calm: In the midst of battle, you composure gives you a steady hand. Salvation gains the [Masterwork] enchantment.

5th Circle
Injured HopeEX: You can continue, even with your body covered in injuries. Salvation is instead treated as a Relic, and you gain [Immunity] to the [Battered] condition.

6th Circle
CourageEX: Despite horrific adversaries and situations, you press on. You do not suffer the effects of the [Shaken] and [Frightened] conditions.

7th Circle
Near-Death HopeEX: You can continue, even when at death's door. Salvation is instead treated as a Artifact, and you gain [Immunity] to the [Disabled] and [Dying] conditions.

For those of you wanting to see the number-crunching that shows this track ends up balanced:
Spoiler
weapon scion: Salvation [NON-UNIQUE]
   [brutal 3]: +6 and some damage
   [guardian]: +1 to ac
   [parrying]: reduce damage by kdm
   (1) masterwork: +1 to atk rolls
   (1) sophisticated: +3 properties
   (1) extradimensional: can come/go whenever
   (2) vital: +lvl to max health
   (5) bolstering 2.5: Lvl# [Fast Healing]
   immunity to massacre's effects
      bleeding
      shaken+frightened
      battered
   immunity to disabled+dying
   =16
   progression: 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 2, 3
      note that the 7 combined points from vital and bolstering 2.5 are spread evenly among the circles

deliverance, survive/survival, longevity, life

While this is in opposition to Massacre, which was somewhat based on Soul Edge, there's not much to go on in terms of abilities regarding Soul Calibur. The only predominant effect is constant healing. It, being a shard of Soul Edge canonically, also shares some aspects with it (which is why its properties are so similar). Now, I'm not entirely going for an opposition to Massacre, though this does accrue immunities to effects it can cause. I'm mainly going for a life-giving weapon that gives immunity to conditions directly related to less survivability (plus weak fear effects); I'd rather not have it be a weapon that might as well be armor by giving it armor/shield point-buy enchantments that give damage mitigation, AC boosts, etc... .

I only have one question: How is my valuation of immunity to disabled+dying(2pts), shaken+frightened(1pt), battered(2pts)? Would you say those should be higher or lower (which would mean I'd have to add/remove abilities)?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:03:16 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Weapon Scion: Salvation track
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »
Okay, I have it a lot more cleaned-up now.
My primary remaining concern is the balance of the C4, C6, and C7 immunities with the rest of the track.
So, any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:58:04 AM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »
The track finally has a name!
Now my only remaining question for the community is the balance of Circles 5, 6, and 7.
Aside from that, I have this track finished!

EDIT: The fear immunity was downgraded so it would be more in line w/ a 1pt enchantment.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:13:25 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »
It seems like you did a really good job with this, I do have a question though which mostly is a question about how Legend treats the fear ladder. From my under standing not causes [panicked] or [cowering] out right. So at C5 are you completely immune to the fear ladder as a whole? or do the points still stack as normal you just go from "I can totally handle this 8D" to "HOLY CRAP IT'S GUNNA KILL ME!".
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
From my under standing not causes [panicked] or [cowering] out right.
Most things don't, but there are effects (such as Terror or On A Pale Horse feats) that can get you [Panicked] or [Cowering] right away (should you fail your save).

I also note that the 6th circle doesn't make you [Immune] to [Shaken] or [Frightened], merely stops you from suffering the penalties (and having to flee).
Legend characters:

Samael Krane, chain-smoking demon paladin.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 03:32:56 PM »
Greenish is correct. Salvation helps you deal with fear up to a point, but you are still afraid.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 04:21:55 PM »
All right thank you, I figured I was just misunderstanding things
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 04:27:49 PM »
It's no problem. The fluff beforehand doesn't help, since it doesn't exactly line up w/ what the ability actually does (and I can't think of a way to say it that isn't awkward).

EDIT: I changed the fluff for C6. Hopefully it doesn't imply fear immunity anymore.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:56:22 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew