Author Topic: [Spell-Touched] Feats  (Read 2120 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
[Spell-Touched] Feats
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:32:42 PM »
Boy, you can tell I like 3.5's Unearthed Arcana supplement. Its execution in 3.5 wasn't always the best, but it had neat ideas like Spell-Touched Feats!

If you aren't familiar with them, [Spell-Touched] feats are a way to give mechanical meaning to the fact that your character has been hit by one spell or group of spells a significant amount (not that all characters hit by a particular spell a lot would develop this). For instance, if your sage's background involved being a shaman school failure whose regular punishment was being live bait for the target practice of Call Lightning, they may develop Strike Down.

[Spell-Touched] Feats
This type of feat is always [Iconic] (this restriction is only due to the current implementation; this could be re-balanced to allow for people to have 1 spell-touched and 1 unique or 1 unique and no limit on spell-touched). The related spell(s) and/or effect descriptor(s) are listed as the prerequisites.

First, some familiar ones:

A Light Against Shadow
Prerequisites: [Light] Glitterdust, Searing Light, or Sunburst
Benefit: As the existing [Iconic] feat.

Big Darn Hero
Prerequisites: Lesser Restoration, Restoration, Greater Restoration, Remove Paralysis, or Freedom of Movement

Justice, Blind
Prerequisites: Arcane Sight, Blindsight, See Invisibility, or True Seeing

Strike Down
Prerequisites: [Electricity] Flame Blade [Electricity], Call Lightning, or Lightning Storm

~

Now for the homebrew! I tried to make these different from the supplement's examples, but some of the ideas (like Combustible) are too fun to not adapt. Also note that I'm not sure how well-balanced these are for being [Iconic].

Born Free
You were meant for the sky, and nobody is going to rope you in.
Prerequisites: [Air] Fly, Wind Walk, or Control Winds
Benefit: No effect can cause you to lose flight as a movement mode (effects that give you flying can end or cease to apply to you), and no effect can decrease your [Flying] movement speed (it still applies to all other movement modes) unless it prevents movement altogether or lowers your movement speed to 0ft.

Combustible
Your skin's oil naturally contains a gunpowder-like compound, giving you a dull complexion.
Prerequisites: [Fire] Flame Blade [Fire], Flame Strike, or Firestorm
Benefit: You take no damage from being [On Fire] but still take damage normally from other [Fire] effects. Being affected by any [Fire] effect will cause you to light [On Fire]. Opponents that hit you with a melee attack and opponents you hit with a melee attack are set [On Fire]. While [On Fire], you may spend a move action to increase the duration of the [On Fire] status by 1 [Round], but this provokes an attack of opportunity.

Glomp
Most people tend to slide away from you, hoping you won't notice.
Prerequisites: [Acid] Flame Blade [Acid] or Acid Fog
Benefit: At the end of each of your turns, each adjacent enemy takes 1d4, +1d4 every 5 levels, [Acid] damage.

Ashes to Ashes
If you're going down, you're taking them with you.
Prerequisites: [Death] Death Ward or Bloodwind
Benefit: If you are targeted by or in the area of effect of a [Death] effect, the caster of that effect is also subject to it (meaning they must make the appropriate saves and such as if they cast the spell at themself as well, NOT that they are unconditionally affected the by spell).

Lady Luck
You always hit that streak of good luck when you need it most.
Prerequisites: Sanctuary, Bless, Repelling Ward, Regenerative Aura, or Hallow
Benefit: Once per [Scene] as a swift action, for 1 [Round] you gain a 50% [Miss Chance], all allies within [Close] range gain a +2 bonus to all d20 rolls, and all enemies within [Close] range suffer a -2 penalty to all d20 rolls.

Magnetic Personality
You're the perfect example of a fair-weather friend.
Prerequisites: Holy Smite or Vortex
Benefit: Once per [Encounter] as a move action, you may force all opponents within [Melee] range to the nearest location within [Close] range but not within [Melee] range. Alternatively, you may force all opponent within [Close] range to the nearest location within [Melee] range. In both cases, the affected creature chooses between tiles of equal distance.

Force to be Reckoned with
When you get going, your strikes really cut through the air.
Prerequisites: 12th Level, [Force] Magic Missile or Arcane Blade
Benefit: Once per [Encounter], take your full attack action. For every attack that missed, you deal half your level in [Force] damage. If every attack was a hit, this ability counts as being unused.

The Great Divide
You can express your inner world, manifesting it around you.
Prerequisites: Ring of Blades, Wall of Thorns, or Wall of Force
Benefit: Once per [Scene] as a move action, you can erect a stationary rift at the edge of your [Close] range for 2 [Rounds]. No line of effect or line of sight can be established between creatures inside and outside the rift, and the rift's perimeter is impassable by all movement modes, including teleportation.

~

If any of you come up w/ some Spell-Touched Feats, by all means post them here.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:53:59 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: [Spell-Touched] Feats
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 12:15:25 PM »
I always loved these from 3.5 xD I think that for you acid feat your looking at you might think about,
Immunity to acid (dull I know)
Some soft of corrosive grip type thing like rusting touch.
Acid damage on a grapple check.

Just a few ideas for you to play with.
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:09:09 PM »
The acidic grapple suggestion sparked an idea, so behold the Glomp!
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:25:20 PM »
I really like this idea but the prerequisites force you to take a spell casting tracks with certain spells.
How about instead for glomp as an example "Must have access to a [acid] ability,spell, or spell like ability."?
Using this should allow you to take ashes to ashes with necromancer(Possibly add a level requirement to keep the feats balanced.).
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:40:06 PM »
This isn't about you being able to cast the spell; it's about you being hit by the spell a lot. This is throwing a bone to the poor barbarian who keeps getting torched by [fire] spells or to the party healer that always suffers [death] effects from enemy casters. Now, I can see the logic in a character who uses [acid] magic having the feat since they were, in their backstory, hit by it so much while training. It's up to interpretation, but its for those who are affected by a spell more than it is for the caster.

If the DM chooses to actually have these implemented mechanically (which would be a nightmare), casters shouldn't benefit from casting the same spell on themself over and over again.

Ideally, the requirements aren't strict or even relevant mechanically. They're just letting you know what spells it lines up with. It's more narrative-minded on the whole.

I can see the wisdom in making the requirements more generic (the specific spell-listing was because i directly ported the idea from 3.5), so you just have to be put under an effect w/ a given decriptor (one of the elements, [Light], [Death], [Positive], [Air], [Force], [Ward]).
EDIT: For the easy/clear ones, I switched the spells out for appropriate effect descriptors.

I do recognize that these feats aren't necessarily balanced (I still have yet to get a good feel for feat balance in Legend), especially since they are currently implemented as [Iconic].

~

Completely unrelated ,but does anybody else find it odd that neither spellcaster gets a [Cold] spell?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:54:10 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew