Author Topic: Weapon Scion: Totem Tomahawk track  (Read 2871 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Weapon Scion: Totem Tomahawk track
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:13:53 AM »
Tomahawks are known for being very versatile weapons, so I took that to an extreme (and included the ablative abjuration mechanic for good measure).

Totem Tomahawk [NON-UNIQUE]
This hatchet bearing an intricately-carved hollow wooden shaft has felt the firm grip of countless warriors. Being such a versatile weapon, its various wielders have fought in numerous ways. Unlike most scion items, it did not attain great status from the efforts of one but from the collective struggles of many. Due to this, Totem Tomahawk is appropriate for nearly any type of fighter. Instead of revealing more of its nature as its user grows in skill, this axe adapts itself to its user's combative style.

Weapon Scion: Totem Tomahawk track
Unless otherwise specified, the abilities of this track only function while Totem Tomahawk is in your possession. Totem Tomahawk is a [Hold-Out], [Quick-Draw], and [Throwing] throwing axe. Totem Tomahawk is treated as a mundane weapon when used by any creature without this track. The skills bonuses granted by this track do not stack with any other source of skill bonuses.

1st Circle
Exact Composition: The perfect weight distribution of this tomahawk gives it unparalleled accuracy. Totem Tomahawk is treated as a Lesser Magical Item and gains the [Sophisticated] and [Masterwork] enchantments.
Weapon Scion: Disregard the item bonus Totem Tomahawk would receive based upon its item tier. It instead gains a +1 item bonus for every circle you have of this track. Additionally, Totem Tomahawk does not take up a magical item slot.

2nd Circle
Ablative HatchetEX: You are able to shed the benefits this hatchet provides in order to protect yourself. Totem Tomahawk gains the [Sophisticated] enchantment. Additionally, as an immediate action, you may give up any number of properties (excluding the base 3 properties) from this weapon for 1 [Round] to reduce the damage taken from a single attack by (the number of given-up properties * the circles you possess of this track).

3rd Circle
Apprentice AxeEX: Your hatchet can help you in a task not directly related to combat. Totem Tomahawk is instead treated as a Greater Magical Item and gains the [Sophisticated] enchantment. Additionally, choose 1 skill, Skill A. You gain a +2 item bonus to Skill A.

4th Circle
Acute Hatchet: Sometimes this throwing axe knows where to hit better than you do. Totem Tomahawk gains the [Sophisticated] and [Seeking] enchantments.

5th Circle
Journeyman AxeEX: You find that your throwing axe can be useful for other activities too. Totem Tomahawk is instead treated as a Relic and gains the [Sophisticated] enchantment. Additionally, choose 2 different skills, Skills B and C, which much be distinct from Skill A. Your item bonus to Skill A rises to +4, and you gain a +2 item bonus to Skills B and C.

6th Circle
Adaptive HatchetEX: This veritable swiss army knife has truly bonded to you, having fully understood the way you fight. Totem Tomahawk gains the [Sophisticated] enchantment and an additional 2 points worth of [Weapon] enchantments. This choice is permanent, and the [Masterwork], [Sophisticated], [Adept], and [Seeking] may not be selected.

7th Circle
Master AxeEX: Given that tomahawks are a multipurpose tools, you put that flexibility to good use. Totem Tomahawk is instead treated as an Artifact and gains the [Sophisticated] enchantment. Additionally, choose 3 different skills, Skills D, E, and F, which must be distinct from Skills A, B, and C. Your item bonus to Skill A rises to +6, your item bonus to Skills B and C rises to +4, and you gain a +2 item bonus to Skills D, E, and F.

For those of you wanting to see the number-crunching that shows this track ends up balanced:
Spoiler
weapon scion: totem tomahawk
   [hold-out]
   [quick-draw]
   [throwing]
   [ ... 14 more properties ... ]
   (1) masterwork: +1 to attack rolls
   (4) adept 3 1/3: +6 to 1, +3 to 2, and +2 to 3
   (7) sophisticated 7: +14 properties
   (1) ablative (max reduction by circle: 1*2=2, 2*4=8, 3*6=18, 4*8=32, 5*10=50, 6*12=72, 7*14=98)
   (1) seeking: don't roll for damage
   (2) 2 points worth of enchantments
   =16
   progression: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3

skillful/skilled, clever, adroit

While Ablative Hatchet might seem a little powerful, I feel its trade-off warrants the value of only 1 enchantment point. Granted, I am open to adjusting the formula used to calculate the damage mitigation. Do note the values in the number-crunching section if you're going to provide input on C2.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:05:03 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Weapon Scion: Totem Tomahawk track
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:07:42 PM »
In circle 2, what type of action is the damage reduction effect? Also, your tomahawk is [Sophisticated] twice.

Narsis

• Elite
  • Pirate Robot Ninja Dragon
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:25:01 PM »
In circle 2, what type of action is the damage reduction effect? Also, your tomahawk is [Sophisticated] twice.

it's actually [Sophisticated] 7 times i believe.
Awesome Legend pally avatar by Prime32

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:55:05 PM »

An immediate action. It's already in there. ;)

~

Yup, sort of a build-a-weapon.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 01:30:39 PM »
Fourteen, plus the basic three. . . JFC dude, that's obscene. I don't dislike it, though.
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
That's a very sophisticated tomahawk.

Also, this would be a nice class for a certain assassin...

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »
Change: I added a clause noting that the skill bonuses granted by this track do not stack with any other skill bonuses. This was always intended, but I guess I neglected to mention it anywhere until now.

@Exelixi: Yup, the tomahawk is quite the multipurpose tool.

@YLM: The creation of this track had nothing to do w/ AC3. Granted, I'm sure people can find use for it to that end.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
Mm, yeah. I've always wanted to learn to wield one, but I can never get past the line of thought that goes "my sword's reach is three feet longer. How the hell does this work?"

Also, in my mind, these "totem tomahawks" are the sort that have a pipe built into them. (Yes, those exist, and yes, they are exactly as awesome as they sound.)
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 01:32:45 PM »
lol
Yes, that was intended. I hinted at it in describing the wood as hollowed-out. Totems themselves being modular by nature also fits thematically into how this weapon accrues more utility.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »
Heheheh.

Hm, I have a slightly off-tppic question. Slightly. I really love these Weapon Scion tracks, and I think I'd like to try my hand at some (and actually probably a Shield Scion track- targes are evil and fun)- but how, exactly, do you go about balancing them?

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 02:40:41 PM »
It's fine; I don't mind discussing that here.
Thank you.
Shield Scions can be fun. I'd love to make an Armor Scion soon, but I can't think of a theme/concept to go from.

Initially I summed the enchantment points of the items you lose for going FBI, which equals 16. Using that as my primary balancing point, I give an item enchantments who points sum to 16. I generally go for a progression of 3 points going into C7 and 2 points going to every other circle. That last dangling point can go anywhere.

At C1, C3, C5, C7, the item itself ranks up in magical item tier, which can automatically upgrade certain enchantments (something to consider when designing the power acquisition of your track to be as smooth as possible). However, I also always put a clause in C1 that gives +Circle item/deflection bonus instead of the bonus it would get from its magical item tier. I still consider this boost balanced since the +3 counteracts the limitations of the track literally being tied to the item.

When it comes to giving new abilities, I will look at existing tracks, properties, and enchantments for similar abilities and adjust values.
For Thermal Edge, I had to take a guess at how many points immunity would be based off of the resistance-granting enchantment. Plus, I also didn't count it as an increase in points value to let Storming be Fire or Cold.
For Zephyr's Bow *realizes he calculated something off upon looking at it again; will fix it later*, I traded the 10ft speed boost from the flight enchantment to make the detecting enchantment go long range. I also gave it [Elemental (Force)] which doesn't exists but shouldn't really pose a problem balance-wise.
For Rambar's Bulwark, I gave it a fourth element to be resistant to, but didn't add any cost since it was so minor and the track wasn't very cohesive (aka: a bunch of 1pt enchantments together isn't usually as strong as higher point value enchantments are).
For Massacre, I wanted enchantment points * 1.5 available, so I had to come up with a suitable detriment.
For Salvation, its health regeneration is the fast healing enchantment * 2.5. I also had to try to fell out how strong the immunities were since there were no enchantments or properties that dealt with those conditions individually.
For Totem Tomahawk, I had to judge how stacking the skill bonuses would inflate the point value.

If you can make sense out of the balance sections I leave in spoiler at the bottom of every Scion track, they should help you out. Making them isn't an exact science, but the above should help you out.

If you have any other questions or would like clarification, doesn't hesitate to ask.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:46:17 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »
Awesome. Thanks. I think I'll try one now, having absorbed the info; feel free to critique.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 02:48:43 PM »
Okay, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew