Author Topic: Broodmaster(1.0 update)  (Read 5110 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Broodmaster(1.0 update)
« on: July 11, 2012, 02:14:26 AM »
Broodmaster
Broodmasters like having minions. But rather than focus on a single companion, they prefer a swarm of weaker allies to overwhelm their foes. Be it commanding swarms of insects, a hoard of animals, or a legion of skeletons, broodmasters are never short of cheap, disposable allies.

Circle 1 - Surrounded By Minions EX:

You are perpetually surrounded by your minions. They swarm around you, augmenting your attacks and hindering your foes. The effect of this is that weapons you wield gain [Reach], you add 1 damage per circle of this track to opponents in your [Melee] range, and whenever you make an attack of opportunity, your minions deal your level in damage to the target, whether or not the attack hit.

Circle 2 – Swarm Tactics:

Pick one of the following abilities:

Swarm attack EX:    You command your minions to attack your enemies, and they swarm out to do so. As a move action, you may command your minions to attack 1 enemy within [Close] range per circle of this track you posses. This deals your your level + KOM in damage to each target.

Harry EX:   You command your minions to harry your opponents. As a move action, you can command your minions to harry 1 enemy within [Close] range per circle of this track you possess. Those targets must make a reflex save (DC 10+1/2 level+KOM) or be [Entangled] for 1 round.

Circle 3- Call Forth The Swarm EX:
    Once per [Encounter], as a standard action, you call forth a myriad from your minions. All bodies of the myriad start within your [Melee] range. This Myriad is 3 levels below you. On every round after you first summon it, it requires a swift action to command it to move and attack. The Myriad returns to the swarm of minions around you at the end of the [Encounter]. The Myriad has a creature type of your choosing; this choice is permanent. This Myriad counts as yoru minion.

Circle 4- Ablative Minions  EX    Your minions surrounding you will absorb damage to protect you. You start each encounter with 4 temporary hit points per level. While these temporary hit points are present, you gain a 20% [Miss chance] against all attacks made against you .

Additionally, you may select one of the following properties for your minions. This choice is permanent.

Elemental: Pick an energy type, [Fire],[Cold],[Acid], or [Electricity]. All damage dealt by your minions is of this type

Stinging: Your myriad  has irritating stings. Foes damaged by your myriad take a -1 penalty to attack rolls for 1 [Round]; this does not stack with itself.

Resilient: Your myriad is tough, and hard to kill. It takes your KDM less damage on all attacks.

Rending: Your minions are savage, and tear the flesh. They cause any target damaged by them to start [Bleeding] and treat all [Damage reduction] and [Resistances] as if it were 2 lower than it is. This increases by 1 every 4 levels.

Circle 5- Strength In Numbers EX:    In addition to the normal bodies regained by your myriad, they gain 2 extra bodies within your [Melee] range each round, up to its max. In addition, you can use Call Forth The Swarm an additional time per encounter, so long as the first myriad has been destroyed. You may spend a swift action to call your Myriad back to your minions, destroying it.

Circle 6 – Engulf EX:   Once per [Encounter], as a standard action, you can command your swarm to engulf a creature within [Close] range. They surround it and pin it down, tearing at its flesh, and doing other unspeakable things to them. The target is [Entangled] and [Checked] in all directions, and takes 1d6 damage per level. While they are [Entangled] by this ability, they take 1d6 damage per level at the start of their turn. A fortitude save negates the [Entangled] and [Chjecked] effect. They may make a fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 level + KOM) to end this effect at the beginning of their turn each [Round].

Circle 7-Army of Darkness EX:    You have amassed a truly staggering amount of minions. You can now add your KOM to damage to foes within [Close] range, and can summon and replace Myriads within [Close] range. Enemies within [Close] range of your have their movement speed halved and take your KOM in damage each round from your minions as your army hinders and attacks them.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:50:33 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Broodmaster
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 07:41:26 AM »
Who wouldn't want hordes of minions?

(Bonus points: Take alongside Force of Will. "No, adventurer, YOU are the minions.")
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Greybender

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:35:39 AM »
This track=[Made of Awesome]
Now to combine this with mechanist savant and virtue for extra swarming character
The game would implode into rocket tag in a twisted mockery of all that is wrong with 3.5, angels would weep and the skies would fall, and it would all be your fault. Yours and yours alone.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:02:14 AM »
This is utterly fantastic. Quick question - does the Fortitude save allowed each round to end Circle 6 end the entire effect, or just negate [Entangled]? I'm pretty sure it reads as the former, but just want to doublecheck.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »
This is utterly fantastic. Quick question - does the Fortitude save allowed each round to end Circle 6 end the entire effect, or just negate [Entangled]? I'm pretty sure it reads as the former, but just want to doublecheck.
The first save ends the ongoing effect and the [Entangled], but you still take the damage. The save each round ends everything.

Mura

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 02:27:42 PM »
Broodmaster
For those who want hoards of minions

Envisioning a huge safe full of wind-up soldiers.

Anyways, 3rd Circle seems really weak. A summon 5 levels lower than you are? As an [Encounter] ability? I'd suggest making the myriad 2 or 3 levels lower than the Broodmaster, and making it dissipate at the end of the [Encounter] so you can't stockpile them.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 03:07:28 PM »
Broodmaster
For those who want hoards of minions

Envisioning a huge safe full of wind-up soldiers.

Anyways, 3rd Circle seems really weak. A summon 5 levels lower than you are? As an [Encounter] ability? I'd suggest making the myriad 2 or 3 levels lower than the Broodmaster, and making it dissipate at the end of the [Encounter] so you can't stockpile them.
Remember that they do autodamage, to many things.
You are right about them dissipating, I should note that they do.

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »
Needs a feat to have your minions clump together into a giant. :P

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Broodmaster(1.0 update)
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 08:44:50 PM »
updated to 1.0

stack

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:57:16 PM »
So many ways to fluff it. Its a great track.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
So many ways to fluff it. Its a great track.
Thank you.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »
Just to clarify, C4's options (at least the ones that affect damage) apply to C1, C2, C6 and C7, not just the attacks of C3's myriad, is that correct?

Personally I've already got fluff images of either a shadow mage or the obvious insect lord, but stack is right, tons of options here.

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 01:27:52 PM »
the C4 options that specify "minions" do apply to the damage from other circles.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 01:49:59 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. Stinging mentions the myriad in one sentence and the "minions" as a whole in the other sentence?

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 02:01:58 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. Stinging mentions the myriad in one sentence and the "minions" as a whole in the other sentence?
Whoops, artifact of old wording, that one should be myriads