Author Topic: Radiation / Odor / Misfortune track  (Read 3246 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Radiation / Odor / Misfortune track
« on: July 14, 2012, 02:11:56 PM »
This track, with a little mechanical tweaking, has quite a few fluffs. I'm sure there are other alternate fluffs I didn't even think of.

Radiation / Odor / Misfortune track
I'm not going to provide three fluff for each circle, as that would be triple the effort and might confuse people. Besides, the names should be descriptive enough.
Anywhere you see a "X / Y / Z" form, it means that X applies to Radiation, Y to Odor, and Z to Misfortune. This is most often for fluff like naming, but it is sometimes used mechanically.

Radiation: For whatever reason, your body is a nuclear reactor. People who used to live around you slowly became ill, and you could do nothing to suppress your emanating energy. Shunned by society as detrimental to life itself, you now find bands of healthy adventurers to be with since they won't suffer the worst effects from exposure to you given their youthful vitality.

Odor: There will always be some with poor hygiene, however you are exceptional in this regard. Worse still, you wallow in your filth, relishing the stench. You eventually realize that your presence is so disgusting that you can put it to use in battle effectively. Unfortunately, your allies don't appreciate your aroma. Some carrion are also known to exhibit effects similar to these upon their living prey.

Misfortune: Some people have a peculiar affliction. They seem to experience good luck and fortune, but those around them always seem to become worse off for it. Looking back on it, you never had great luck; they all just had awful luck. Although you can't stop this effect, you can channel it to give your enemies much greater misfortune.

1st Circle
Atomic Ray / Smelly Finger / Bad Luck Beam SLA: Once per [Round] as a standard action, select one enemy within [Long] range with which you have line of effect. That enemy must make a Fortitude / Willpower / Reflex save (DC = 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wisdom / Charisma / Intelligence modifier) or become [Sickened] for 1 [Round].
Meltdown / Stink Bomb / Calamity SU: Once per [Quest] as a standard action, all other creatures within the following ranges are subject to the associated physical damage for every circle of this track you possess:
RANGEDAMAGE
Melee1d12
Close1d8
Medium1d6
Long1d4

2nd Circle
Background Radiation / Pervasive Odor / Misfortune EX: This is a passive ability. All creatures within [Melee] range must make a Fortitude / Willpower / Reflex save (DC = 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wisdom / Charisma / Intelligence modifier) or become [Sickened] while within this ability's area of effect. Enemies must save each time they enter this ability's area of effect. Allies within this ability's area of effect can save once per [Round] as a free action, and a passed save lasts until the end of the [Encounter]. You are immune to the outermost range of your mechanical variant of this ability and its upgraded versions.

3rd Circle
Nuclear Fallout / Lingering Stench / Jinxed SU: Once per [Encounter] as a move action, one [Sickened] enemy within [Long] range must make a Fortitude / Willpower / Reflex save (DC = 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wisdom / Charisma / Intelligence modifier) or become [Nauseated].

4th Circle
Gamma Background Radiation / Putrid Pervasive Odor / Ridiculous Misfortune EX: Background Radiation / Pervasive Odor / Bad Luck now extends to [Close] range. Non-[Sickened] enemies must make an additional save when entering [Melee] range, and [Sickened] enemies may make an additional save (to remove the condition) when leaving [Melee] range. You are immune to the 2 outermost ranges of your mechanical variant of this ability and its upgraded version.

5th Circle
Nuclear Winter / Pungent Stench / Cursed SU: Nuclear Fallout / Pungent Aroma / Jinxed also inflicts [Battered] on a failed save.

6th Circle
Cosmic Background Radiation / Vile Pervasive Odor / Absurd Misfortune EX: Background Radiation / Pervasive Odor / Bad Luck now extends to [Medium] range. Non-[Sickened] enemies must make an additional save when entering [Close] or [Melee] range, and [Sickened] enemies may make an additional save (to remove the condition) when leaving [Melee] or [Close] range. You are immune to your mechanical variant of this ability.

7th Circle
ContaminationSU: Once per [Scene] as a standard action, all [Sickened] creatures within the range of Background Radiation / Pervasive Odor / Misfortune become [Nauseated].

~

It was hard to word Background Radiation / Pervasive Odor / Bad Luck, so let me note that you are never affected by it and allies are only affected by it until they pass 1 save each [Encounter]. Enemies are the only ones who have to deal with the concentric bands of worsening radiation/odor/luck.

While making a Fort save to resist radiation poisoning and making a Will save to resist gagging from stench make sense, I'm aware that making a Reflex save to literally dodge bad luck is a little nonsensical.

I really like the thematic nature of C1's epic ability, but I can definitely understand that it may be unbalanced (even though it will hurt your allies too). If it is, what can I do to make the track balanced while keeping that ability in place?

EDIT: Misfortune (bad luck to others), Esoterica Radica, Fortune's Friend (good luck to you), and an offensive track is an evil combination...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:14:29 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Radiation / Odor / Misfortune track
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »
Meltdown / Stink Bomb / Calamity SU: Once per [Quest] as a standard action, all creatures within the following ranges are subject to the associated damage for every circle of this track you possess:
RANGEDAMAGE
Melee1d12
Close1d8
Medium1d6
Long1d4
Is this meant to just apply to enemies, or are you intending to allow ally-nuking?

Background Radiation / Pervasive Odor / Misfortune EX: This is a passive ability. All creatures within [Melee] range must make a Fortitude / Willpower / Reflex save (DC = 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wisdom / Charisma / Intelligence modifier) or become [Sickened] while within this ability's area of effect. Enemies must save each time they enter this ability's area of effect. Allies within this ability's area of effect can save once per [Round] as a free action, and a passed save lasts until the end of the [Encounter].
Does a passed save last until the end of the [Encounter] for allies only, or for enemies too? How long does [Sickened] last? And what happens if an enemy makes another save but they're already [Sickened] by this effect? This also basically gives allies immunity--I assume that is intentional.

Gamma Background Radiation / Putrid Pervasive Odor / Ridiculous Misfortune EX: Background Radiation / Pervasive Odor / Bad Luck now extends to [Close] range. Non-[Sickened] enemies must make an additional save when entering [Melee] range, and [Sickened] enemies may make an additional save when leaving [Melee] range.
Note the part in bold: If they're already [Sickened], why would the class force another save.

6th Circle
Cosmic Background Radiation / Vile Pervasive Odor / Absurd Misfortune EX: Background Radiation / Pervasive Odor / Bad Luck now extends to [Medium] range. Non-[Sickened] enemies must make an additional save when entering [Close] or [Melee] range, and [Sickened] enemies may make an additional save when leaving [Melee] or [Close] range.
Same as above. Also, cosmic background radiation isn't dangerous, and also doesn't come from any kind of nuclear reactor--it's like radio waves, which pass right through people without harm. Other more dangerous names could be Lead-Puncturing Radiation, Neutron Radiation, or "Antimatter Radiation" (high-energy gamma radiation from matter-antimatter reactions, not actually a form of radiation).

That's all if you care. I'm sure there won't be much complaint over one title.

7th Circle
ContaminationSU: Once per [Scene] as a standard action, all [Sickened] creatures within the range of Background Radiation become [Nauseated].
Note the bold. You're missing some slashes there.

While making a Fort save to resist radiation poisoning and making a Will save to resist gagging from stench make sense, I'm aware that making a Reflex save to literally dodge bad luck is a little nonsensical.
I agree with this. Perhaps instead of bad luck you could shoot jets of gas. Or maybe it could be something weird like tentacles... I'm not sure.[/quote]

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 07:46:01 PM »
It says "all creatures," so ally nuke away! Without that it'd be way too unbalanced. Allies can certainly be encouraged to keep their distance, since they would likely know about this character's ability.

Yes, allies only get the benefit since that statement in the same independent clause, and it says that enemies have to save each time they re-enter.
It says right in the portion you quoted that it lasts while they're in the AoE.
If you're only talking about C2, the enemy won't make another save while still [Sickened] from this ability as those events are mutually exclusive.
Allies aren't immune, as the save is hard to pass if that's their poor save and the modifier you're pulling from is your KOM/KDM.

I give them saves when they're leaving if they're already [Sickened] so they can potentially get cure themselves of being [Sickened] as they get into a weaker area. I'll be more explicit on that.
Note that I never said they had to make the save.

I'm aware of the different types of radiation, and "cosmic" was merely chosen for the way it sounds and it pictured.

Ah yes, good catch on C7.

That might be a bit too off thematically...
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 02:44:12 AM »
I like the flavor a lot, and the abilities look like a great start. You could say "Your Second Circle ability now extends..." and such to save some text.

One concern - since people with this track are immune to this track, you could just have everyone take it as multiclass/FBI and then that Circle One ability gets very, very scary.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 04:13:15 AM »
I don't see how at low levels dealing  an average of 6 or less damage to everyone around you once per [Quest] is a bad idea. Even at levels 3-5, that's 13 or less damage. It's a sizeable chunk, but I'd rather be actually hurting specific targets instead of harming my allies while poking at my enemies.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:33:39 AM »
@Tim: Generally only one PC per party should take any variant of this track, as an entire group of adventurers all radiating negative status conditions upon the low level populace would be run out of every town they stay in. Granted, that would make for quite the evil party...

You do bring up a good point about immunity to this track.
I could specify that you're only immune to your own track, though this causes one to wonder why someone emitting radiation or stench can't handle that of a lower level character. In that regard, I could say that you're immune if the person using this track is at your level or lower.

On the other hand, I could make you immune to only your flavor variant. Although that may sound weird, I think it makes sense given that the different fluff is mechanically distinct. It also fits fluff-wise since there's no reason a radiation character should be immune to stench or bad luck (no idea why somebody radiating bad luck should be immune to bad luck, but I suppose that can be explained through further detail of their fluff). The entire reason for the immunity beyond your own effect is so a horde of undead can all have the stench variant and not trouble themselves with needing to roll several successful saves to get out of being sickened by the numerous instances of Pervasive Odor.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:38:30 AM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 10:41:12 AM »
Oh, I understand why the immunity is there, and it's a good idea. I'm just worried that it's munchkinable. My own party wouldn't do something like that, but I feel like I can never predict the actions of All Gamers Everywhere, y'know?
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:57:02 AM »
Generally speaking, offering a direct immunity to a specific track is a bad approach. If you do want creatures with this track to be immune to each other, a better approach is to type the attacks, and offer immunity to that type. This immunity can then apply to other things, instead of being really specific.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 06:43:54 PM »
Okay, I've clarified the immunities:
Only you are immune to your own Meltdown / Stink Bomb / Calamity.
You gain immunity to circles 2, 4, and 6 of your mechanical version of this track. With the lower immunities, you're immune to the further ranges of the higher-circle abilities. I'll give an example to illustrate: You reek, but are only L5 and therefore only have C2. You run across the paragon of stench himself, a L20 obviously having C6. While within Medium range but not Close range, you're immune to his C6 since the odor at that range is nothing for someone of your skill level. If you gained C4, you'd be able to be immune in Close range (but still not Melee). It's a little complicated, but it makes sense (more intense radiation/odor/misfortune the slow you get).
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew