Author Topic: Battlemage(1.0 update)  (Read 10448 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Battlemage(1.0 update)
« on: July 16, 2012, 06:30:21 PM »
Battlemage
The battlemage, a different approach to combative casting.

Battlemage

Battle is fast and furious. Blows are parried, stances are shifted, and  people move very quickly to react to their opponent. Yet, amidst this furious interplay of attack and counterattack, most mages content themselves with invoking slow and ponderous spells, and hope the sheer magnitude of their effect overwhelms their opposition. Battlemages think this is a very silly way to approach combat. Sure, those elaborate spells are useful and have their place; many battlemages will utilize them themselves. But the battlefield is not the place for them. Instead, a battlemage shuns the elaborate casting in favor of quick, less powerful spells that let them keep up with the flow of battle.

A Battlemage utilizes special spells known as Battlespells. They are Spell-like abilities, but do not provoke attacks of opportunity if they are [Melee] ranged. They are made in place of an attack, and unless otherwise specified, you can only use one battlespell from each circle each [Round].

Circle 1 - Battlecaster: You learn the following battlespells:

Flare: A quick blast of flame, which is brief but bright. You deal your level+KOM damage with the [Fire] descriptor to one target in [Melee] range, and the target is [Dazzled] for 1 round.

Chilling Squall: You conjure a blast of cold air at an opponent within [Close] range as a ranged attack that deals 1d6 [Cold] damage for every 2 levels you have.

Circle 2 - Snapcaster: Not all battlespells are about dealing damage; Some of them are designed to augment one’s self or hinder your opponent. You learn the following battlespells:

Restriction: You deal KOM damage to an opponent in [Melee] range, and they are [Entangled]. A successful fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 level + KOM) negates the [Entangled] effect.

Blur: You distort the space around you. For 2 [Rounds], opponents attacking you have a 20% [Miss chance]

Circle 3- Charged spells: Some battlespells take more effort to cast, but can still be used within the rhythm of battle. As a swift or part of a move action, you can gain a [power point], which can be used before the next round to cast one of the following battlespells. These battlespells are still used in place of an attack

Dissolve: On a successful melee attack, your target takes 1d6 [Acid] damage per level, and must make a fortitude save(DC 10+1/2 level +KOM) or be [Sickened] for 2 [Rounds].

Blinding light: On a successful ranged attack within [Close] range, your target takes 1d6 damage per level, and must make a will save (DC 10+1/2 level +KOM) or be [Blinded] for 1 [Round]

Circle 4 - Beneficiary: You learn more spells to help survive battle. You learn the following battlespells:
Ward: Pick either physical or magical damage. You gain [Lesser resistance] against that type of damage till the end of the [Encounter]

Jaunt: You quickly [Teleport] to a more advantageous location within [Medium] range

Circle 5 - Outnumbered: By this time, it is apparent that dealing with multiple opponents can be advantageous, so you develop a few quick techniques to deal with them.  You learn  the following battlespells:

Concussive blast: All opponents within [Melee] range of you take your Level+KOM damage and are [Knocked down]. A successful reflex save (DC 10+1/2 level +KOM) halves the damage and negates the [Knocked down] effect.

Jumpspark: On a successful melee attack, your target takes 2xlevel [Electricity] damage. 1 additional target per circle of this track you possess within [Close] range of your original target takes 2xlevel[Electrictity] damage as well. These additional targets may make a reflex save (DC 10+1/2 level + KOM) for half damage.

Circle 6- Suppression: You learn new spells to help suppress your enemies. You learn the following battlespells.

Confound: Select one target in [Melee] range. They take KOM damage and are [Confused] for 1 round. A successful will save (DC 10+1/2 level +KOM) negates this effect.

Petrify: Select one target in [Melee] range. They are [Petrified] for 1 round. A will save (DC 10+1/2 level + KOM) negates this effect. This battlespell may only be used once per [Encounter]

Circle 7 - Greater charged spells: You learn even better charged spells to make use of. You learn the following battlespells, which require a [Power point] to cast.

Vampiric absorption: Choose a target within [Melee] range. You deal 1d6 damage to them per level, and heal an equal amount. A successful fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 level + KOM) halves the damage. If this healing would put you above your max hp, the excess is gained as [Temp hp]

Burning blood: Choose a target within [Melee] range. You cause their blood to boil, doing 1d6 damage with the [Fire] descriptor per circle each [Round] until the end of the [Encounter]. A successful fortitude save(DC 10 + ½ level + KOM)  halves the damage for a given [Round], and may be made each [Round]. A given enemy can only be effected by 1 instance of this
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:01:00 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Battlemage
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »
Awesome, and unique. My only problem is the words. Battlemage, battlespell, coldblast, and jumpspark sound... dorky. Jumpspark the least of them, but it's still awkward.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:24:36 PM »
Awesome, and unique. My only problem is the words. Battlemage, battlespell, coldblast, and jumpspark sound... dorky. Jumpspark the least of them, but it's still awkward.
I am rarely attached to the names in my tracks. If you have better ideas, I  would love to hear them.

iemcd

• Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • The Benign Brown Beast
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:44:15 PM »
I love this. I particularly like the charge system, and I think it's an elegant track overall.

I am rarely attached to the names in my tracks. If you have better ideas, I  would love to hear them.
First things to my mind:
Battlemage --> Evoker
Battlespell --> Evocation
Coldblast --> Chill (this is weak)
Jumpspark --> Chain Lightning (the MTG geek inside me)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »
I don't like evoker, it has the wrong implications. An elementalist is closer to an evoker. This is about using spells as part of combat, and many of the spells would not be evoking anything.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »
Jumpspark is an awesome name, just on general principle.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

iemcd

• Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • The Benign Brown Beast
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 09:08:57 PM »
I don't like evoker, it has the wrong implications. An elementalist is closer to an evoker. This is about using spells as part of combat, and many of the spells would not be evoking anything.
I have always considered evocation to be "damage spells" like fireball and things. But I suppose that's not actually accurate. Now I can't think of anything better.

It is, I just offered Chain Lightning because it was brought up.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 09:14:37 PM »
If we are going to talk about names, i dont like the wording on Cold Blast.
"You fire a blast of cold air at an opponent within [Close] range"
It's very strange instead how about you "conjure" or "blow.
Also I think Chilling Squall or Frigid Squall sounds better for the name.

Also your spells DCs can scale with physical ability scores?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:08:06 PM by Djtooth »
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 10:43:42 PM »
I thought Jumpspark as a relatively good name
If we are going to talk about names, i dont like the wording on Cold Blast.
"You fire[/u ]a blast of cold air at an opponent within [Close] range"
It's very strange instead how about you "conjure" or "blow.
Also I think Chilling Squall or Frigid Squall sounds better for the name.
That does sound better. I've changed it.

Also your spells DCs can scale with physical ability scores?
Yeah. With a more martial bent to the casting, it seems more understandable to allow the spells to key off of physical attributes, and it didn't seem worth declaring a mental attribute to cast with.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:27:59 AM »
Ward can be applied to a different type of damage every time you use it, yes?

I like it. Neatly made.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 06:19:26 AM »
Well warmage is always a good go-to, and I was thinking something basic like Chill or Frost for coldblast.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 10:10:17 AM »
Ward can be applied to a different type of damage every time you use it, yes?

I like it. Neatly made.
Yes.  It can build up to a very potent defense, but it takes time and cuts into your offense.
Well warmage is always a good go-to, and I was thinking something basic like Chill or Frost for coldblast.
Why is warmage better than battlemage? Those have difference connotations for me.  A war mage is based on blasty spells, often large-scale, and hence are useful in a war, whilst a batttle mage is a mage that fights in melee, and hence is built to be sturdier than your typical mage.

--------------
I've also considered a few track combinations for this class.
A swashbuckler battlemage would be a spelldancer, replacing their once more! attacks with spells, and who move around the battlefield throwing out a variety of spells.
Just blade also works well with it. The battlespells are channelable, though not really that great for a channeled spell. However, they can still give you a charge, and hence activate the defensive of the track. It offers passive benefits, and gives you some neat move action spells to use in the mix. It would also get you a good BaB if you don't already have it, which a battlemage would find very useful.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »
In combinations when i look at this class all i can think about is Rage... I wonder how well would Path of Destruction cleave and whirlwind would work with this.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »
In combinations when i look at this class all i can think about is Rage... I wonder how well would Path of Destruction cleave and whirlwind would work with this.
rage would help for the defenses, but the attack boost would only be useful for a few spells. I'm not sure if the damage would apply. the str boost at 2nd circle is actually nice.
currently, cleave works as its a [bonus attack], so it could give a spell, though you may need a spell with an attack roll to trigger it. Whirlwind is oddly worded in regards to replacing attacks.

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »
I agree that Battlemage is better than Warmage because of connotation. War is actually where the standard squishy wizard would work best- they'd function like a combination of early riflemen and/or siege weapons, by my thoughts. This guy, on the other hand, is about smashing face with brutal efficiency.

Mind you, I would like a clause that changes your KOM to Intelligence, just because we need more Int-as-KOM options for a front line fighter than Just Blade.

Question: How would this work with Iron Magi? Because I could see some epic hilarity with this, Magi, and Acrobatic Adept.
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro