Author Topic: Lifting capacity  (Read 2313 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Lifting capacity
« on: July 21, 2012, 12:28:30 AM »
Now, to start, do not confuse this with carrying capacity. Figuring out how much stuff your character can cram in their backpack and run around with is a level of detail that is unneeded in this system. This is about how creating guidelines for how much a character can lift and throw. 

This ability is added to athletics:

Weight Lifting:
Your ability to lift objects is determined by the sum of your strength modifier and your athletics ranks- even if athletics is untrained. You may use objects that you would be able to lift 2 ranks lower as improvised weapons, and 5 ranks lower they have the [thrown] property.
1- You can lift heavy boxes, and are greatly appreciated when somebody has to move
5 -  You can lift furniture
10-You can lift a appliances, such as refrigerators. 
15-You can lift a car
20 - You can rip a large tree out of the ground
25-  You can lift an semi-truck
30 - You can lift a small building
35 - you can lift a skyscraper

Also, Rage would also give a +circle bonus for weight lifting, and there is a +2 bonus for being large.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Lifting capacity
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 01:13:47 AM »
It'd be nice to have a small rule governing multiple bodies lifting something. Just for system granularity.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 01:47:12 AM »
It'd be nice to have a small rule governing multiple bodies lifting something. Just for system granularity.
How about "If multiple people lift an object, they can lift the total of all of their lifting capacities"?

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Magic 8-Ball Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 01:52:37 AM »
To be clear, is this a passive rating based on the ranks and mod or is it a check? I was thinking passive bonus such as the way move speed is derived from athletics, but wasn't sure.

Mura

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 02:29:21 AM »
How about "If multiple people lift an object, they can lift the total of all of their lifting capacities"?

So 7 average Joes can lift a Skyscraper? ...Nifty.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 09:14:06 AM »

So 7 average Joes can lift a Skyscraper? ...Nifty.
No, sum their weights, not their scores.

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 12:49:11 AM »
That seems like a very interesting proposal. I was wondering why this was missing from legend as I use to use STR checks all the time in my old 3.5 campaigns. And this seems like a very logical solution to that problem. I still find it funny how odd some of the things you can do with a high enough score in these things.
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine