Author Topic: Sandman (1.0 update)  (Read 5157 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Sandman (1.0 update)
« on: July 25, 2012, 06:40:40 PM »
Sandman
A mage of the wastes, sandmen use sand-based magic to hinder their foes.

Sandman

The sandmen are an order of mages from the burning wastes, one of the most desolate deserts in the known world. Surrounded by an endless sea of sand, they learn to utilize what is available, and are marked by their extensive use of sand-based magic.

When you select this track, choose your highest Spellcasting Ability Modifier (SAM), or if you do not have a SAM, your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma modifier. This becomes your Track
Ability Modifier (TAM) for this track. The save DC for abilities under this track is equal to 10 + ½
your character level + your Track Ability Modifier.

Circle 1 - SandspraySLA: You learn to conjure a blast of sand, which you launch into your foe’s eyes.As a standard action, one opponent within [Close] range is take your KOM in damage for each circle of this track you possess and is [Blinded] for 1 [Round]. A fortitude save negates the [Blinded] effect.
At 4th circle, you may use this as a move action once per [Round]

Circle 2- Quicksand SLA: Once per [Encounter], as a standard action, you cause an area of ground to dissolve into quicksand.  This creates an area of 1 10ft square per circle of this track which can be placed adjacent to each other within [Medium] range. This area counts as difficult terrain, and any creature entering the area or starting their turn in it must make a reflex save or become [Entangled] for as long as they are in the area. If a creature starts their turn within the quicksand while [Entangled], they must make a fortitude save or also be [Slowed] while they remain in the area. If a creature starts their turn within the quicksand while [Slowed], they must make a fortitude save or also be [Checked] in all directions while they remain within the quicksand. Any creature who is [Entangled], [Slowed], or [Checked] by the effect is mired and cannot begin [Flying]. This is a [Ground] and [Binding] effect and lasts till the end of the [Encounter].

Circle 3- To Sand SLA: Once per [Encounter], as a swift action, you can produce one of the following effects:
Disarm: You can cause a weapon within [Medium] range to dissolve into sand. The wielder of the weapon may make a will save to negate this effect. If they fail their save, they may not wield the weapon. Weapons will reform at the end of the [Encounter].
Discorporate: You turn part of your opponent’s body into sand. They take your level in damage, have their speed reduced by 20ft, and suffer a -1 penalty to attack and AC. A successful fortitude save negates this effect. All effects of this end at the end of the [Encounter]
Unfoot: You turn the ground under your opponent’s feet to sand. They are [Flat footed] until the start of their turn and knocked [Prone]. A successful reflex save negates this effect

Circle 4- Sandcastle SLA: As a standard action once per [Encounter], you can conjure a wall of sand across the battlefield.If there would be no creature occupying a square in the resulting area, you may create a line with a length of up to 10 ft per level originating from target square within [Medium] range, which lasts for the remainder of the [Encounter].  It blocks line of sight and effect, but a creature may remove all squares within their [Melee] range as a standard action.

Circle 5- Sand attunement: You become more in tune with sand, allowing you to amplify your existing abilities.

Sandblast SU:  You can create a much larger blast of sand than before. Sandspray can now effect all creatures within a wedge  25ft + 5ft/ 2 levels long when used as a standard action.

One with Sand SU: You are not affected by Quicksand and may pass through Sandcastle.

Circle 6- Sand form SLA: As a standard action once per [Encounter], you can turn your  body into sand. You gain [Resistance] to all damage, attacks against you have a 20% [Miss chance], are [Immune] to [Binding] effectsw and do no provoke attacks of opportunity from moving. This lasts till the end of the [Encounter]

Circle 7 - Sandstorm SLA: As a standard action once per [Encounter], you create a powerful sandstorm extending out to [Medium] range around you. All allies within the area are [Fully Concealed] as the sands obscure their forms from view. At the beginning of their turn, or the first time they enter the area in a [Round], opponents in the area take half  your level in damage and gain [Bleeding] as the sand strips their flesh away, and are [Slowed] for one [Round]. A fortitude save negates the [Slowed] condition. This effect lasts till the end of the [Encounter]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:27:46 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Sandman
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:25:06 AM »
Why fortitude? Why not reflex?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:30:27 AM »
Why fortitude? Why not reflex?
For Sandspray? Because it how well you can grin and bear the sand in your eyes.

iemcd

• Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • The Benign Brown Beast
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:04:04 AM »
You never seem to stop making really cool things. I have no major concerns, but these are my thoughts on your latest:
  • You can get caught in your own quicksand if you aren't careful.
  • Can the fourth circle be called "Sandcastle"? "Wall of Sand" feels boring to me.
  • Minor grammatical and formatting nitpicks: two periods after "area" in Quicksand, past tense "stripped" should be present tense "strips" in Sandstorm, missing period at the very end. I don't know how Legend wants "ft" abbreviated, but it may need a space before or a period after.
  • I'm trying to think of jawas and the like, but all that's in my head is that damn song, "Mr. Sandman".

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 10:18:30 AM »
You never seem to stop making really cool things. I have no major concerns, but these are my thoughts on your latest:
  • You can get caught in your own quicksand if you aren't careful.
  • Can the fourth circle be called "Sandcastle"? "Wall of Sand" feels boring to me.
  • Minor grammatical and formatting nitpicks: two periods after "area" in Quicksand, past tense "stripped" should be present tense "strips" in Sandstorm, missing period at the very end. I don't know how Legend wants "ft" abbreviated, but it may need a space before or a period after.
  • I'm trying to think of jawas and the like, but all that's in my head is that damn song, "Mr. Sandman".
  • Yes, you can.
    • Sandcastle does sound more interesting. I'll change that.
      • Thank you.
        • Yeah, that song was stuck in my head the entire time I was making it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 06:40:53 PM by Mystify »

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:27:28 PM »
Is the [Slowed] a [Binding] effect?

Also, at some point being able to move through your own quicksand, or having a reduced effect from it, would be nice.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 06:38:36 PM »
The [Slowed] condition is inherently a binding effect.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 06:49:20 PM »
Is the [Slowed] a [Binding] effect?

Also, at some point being able to move through your own quicksand, or having a reduced effect from it, would be nice.
As Yoder said, [Slowed] is itself a [Binding] effect.

I like the idea of being able to move through your own quicksand. I've expanded 5th circle and clarified Sandcastle.

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 09:33:56 PM »
Is Blinding for a round really worth a standard?
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »
Is Blinding for a round really worth a standard?
The current version? Yeah, probably. -2 AC, loses KDM to AC, half speed, -4 penalty to perception and physical skills, and all opponents are [fully concealed]. That is crippling. Sure, you may not be bringing an enemy down with it, but it makes it so your allies can take them apart. This track is meant for a support/debuffing role.
If [blinded] gets toned down, I'll buff up the ability.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Sandman (1.0 update)
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 06:13:33 PM »
1.0 update:

improved the basic sandspray now that [Blinded] is less insane.
Let quicksand get [Flying] creatures stuck, so you can combo with with anti-flying effects
to sand made into a swift action 1/encounter, and given some alternative uses
sandcastle has its wording updating
sandstorm has some wording cleanups

Zaq

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 01:30:57 PM »
First thoughts:

C1: The obvious point of comparison is Gust. Gust gains KOM every 5 levels instead of every 3, reduces speed instead of blinding, gets +level to damage, and eventually gets really big. Probably reasonably balanced. Maybe give it a move-action version around C4, like Gust? The big three SLA tracks do get action economy boosts at C4 or C5, after all.

C2: Does anything else have as shapeable an area as this? I don't think it's overpowered in and of itself, but if it's obviously absent from the rules, I have to wonder if it's by design. That aside, the thing that gets me is that you should say "[Checked] in all directions," not just "[Checked]."

C3: When there are three effects at a circle, I expect the saves to be Fort/Ref/Will instead of Will/Will/Ref. Is that intentional? Anyway, the disarming effect should have language clarifying how it works on natural weapons; RAW, it clearly does, but I can see someone getting hung up on it. Also, [Flat-footed] no longer has a default duration, so you should add one.

C4: I'd add language clarifying how this interacts with obstacles, and I think it would be appropriate to say it can be up to 10 ft per level. No sense in outgrowing a dungeon if you level up.

C5: Sandspray says "one opponent," but Sandblast says "all targets." If only opponents can be targets (inheriting from Sandspray), Sandblast should say "all opponents," but if it's meant to override that, it should say "all creatures." Are you affected by Quicksand or Sandcastle someone else makes?

C6: Standard action? That seems really high. What if it had a variable action cost, and bigger actions netted you bigger protections? I understand that undifferentiated [Resistance] is a Big Deal, but maybe reducing the action cost and the duration would make it less daunting.

C7: The wording is weird (your allies aren't the ones with clouded vision, after all), but the effect seems okay.
I do verb now and again, but gerunding is my real passion.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
First thoughts:

C1: The obvious point of comparison is Gust. Gust gains KOM every 5 levels instead of every 3, reduces speed instead of blinding, gets +level to damage, and eventually gets really big. Probably reasonably balanced. Maybe give it a move-action version around C4, like Gust? The big three SLA tracks do get action economy boosts at C4 or C5, after all.
My point of comparison is magic missile, as seen on lich. I give it a rider effect, in contrast to lich getting the ability to heal from using magic.
I do upgrade it at c5
C2: Does anything else have as shapeable an area as this? I don't think it's overpowered in and of itself, but if it's obviously absent from the rules, I have to wonder if it's by design. That aside, the thing that gets me is that you should say "[Checked] in all directions," not just "[Checked]."
silent image has an area defined in cubes per level
I'll fix the [Checked].
C3: When there are three effects at a circle, I expect the saves to be Fort/Ref/Will instead of Will/Will/Ref. Is that intentional? Anyway, the disarming effect should have language clarifying how it works on natural weapons; RAW, it clearly does, but I can see someone getting hung up on it. Also, [Flat-footed] no longer has a default duration, so you should add one.
I didn't add any text about it because it already works as written.
My thought was that you use your will to prevent the tranformation for yourself or your item, but you are using reflex to keep your footing when its on the ground. However, I can see a good arguement for using fort against your own transformation, and that does seem like a more balanced way to do things, so I will go with that.
I didn't realize they removed that clause from flat footed. I'll add the limit.
C4: I'd add language clarifying how this interacts with obstacles, and I think it would be appropriate to say it can be up to 10 ft per level. No sense in outgrowing a dungeon if you level up.
standard AoE rules apply. Its a line, so if it hits something that blocks line of effect, it ends. I will add in the "up to" to give more control.
C5: Sandspray says "one opponent," but Sandblast says "all targets." If only opponents can be targets (inheriting from Sandspray), Sandblast should say "all opponents," but if it's meant to override that, it should say "all creatures." Are you affected by Quicksand or Sandcastle someone else makes?
sandblast overrides the targeting. You are right, it should say creature, not target.

You are immune to the abilities, regardless of who made them. It is your mastery of sand that allows it.
C6: Standard action? That seems really high. What if it had a variable action cost, and bigger actions netted you bigger protections? I understand that undifferentiated [Resistance] is a Big Deal, but maybe reducing the action cost and the duration would make it less daunting.
I'm more inclined to increase its benefits than to lessen the action cost.
C7: The wording is weird (your allies aren't the ones with clouded vision, after all), but the effect seems okay.
ok, I botched the editing from the old wording a bit, I'll clean that up

Zaq

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »
My point about C1 is that Arcane Secrets, Necromancer, Elementalist, and Air Elemental (so nearly every track that has one or more SLAs as its signature ability, minus Incantation) get action economy upgrades at C4/C5. That's not necessarily the only way they get better, but they all do. I really think it would be appropriate to have it turn into a move action around then, even if (like Gust) it's a reduced version. That would also mitigate the "eesh, I'm not actually having any meaningful effect on the battle this round" issue with C6.
I do verb now and again, but gerunding is my real passion.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
Alright, I'll work something in