Author Topic: Maru track  (Read 2449 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Maru track
« on: July 28, 2012, 02:05:24 PM »
Maru track
You are a practitioner of an unusual branch of magic dubbed Maru. While binding spells aren't uncommon, you have studied constricting magic much more thoroughly than most. The shape that best represents restraining is the circle, which is the key distinction of Maru. Visualizing this shape, you form gathered magical energies into various types of rings to unleash upon your adversaries. The inherent properties of this geometric figure hold vast binding properties, and you'll put them to good use.
The DCs for your abilities are all 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wisdom modifier.

1st Circle
Ring of ForceSLA: You learn to form a large vertical ring just behind you and launch it at an enemy to injure and hamper them. Once per [Encounter] as a standard action, you may shoot a ring of binding energy at one target within [Long] range. The target must make both a Fortitude and a Will save. If the target fails their Fortitude save, they take 1d6 [Force] damage for every Circle of this track you possess and are [Blown Away]. If the target fails their Will save, they become [Slowed].

2nd Circle
The First Ring of RestrictionSU: Once per [Round] as a standard action, you may fire a ring of constricting energy at one target within [Close] range. The target must make a Reflex save or suffer a -1 penalty to Reflex saves and be unable to voluntarily change the distance between you two for the rest of the [Encounter]. This [Binding] effect restricts them to movement in a sphere centered on you. Provided the target is not afflicted by your The Second Ring of Restriction or The Third Ring of Restriction, they may make the same Reflex save at the start of your turn each [Round] to remove this effect. This ability cannot be used on a target afflicted by another creature's The First Ring of Restriction, The Second Ring of Restriction, or The Third Ring of Restriction.
This ability can also be used to dispel any creature's The First Ring of Restriction from a target. This alternate application requires you to make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the character level of the causer + their Wisdom modifier) to successfully remove the affliction.

3rd Circle
Ring of SolitudeSU: You use learn to apply the Ring of Force to repel opponents. Once per [Encounter] as a move action, you emit an expanding horizontal ring of force from your position. All creatures within [Melee] range are [Blown Away], and all creatures attempting to move into [Melee] range before the start of your next turn must make a Will save or be checked at the boundary until the start of your next turn.

4th Circle
The Second Ring of RestrictionSU: You may use The First Ring of Restriction at [Medium] range.
Once per [Round] as a standard action, you may fire a ring of constricting energy at one target within [Medium] range who is afflicted by your The First Ring of Restriction. The target must make a Reflex save or suffer another -1 penalty to Reflex saves (a total of -2) and be unable to voluntarily change the radial angle between you two for the rest of the [Encounter]. In combination with The First Ring of Restriction, this [Binding] effect restricts them to movement in a vertical circle centered on you. Provided the target is not afflicted by your The Third Ring of Restriction, they may make the same Reflex save at the start of your turn each [Round] to remove this effect. This ability cannot be used on a target afflicted by another creature's The First Ring of Restriction, The Second Ring of Restriction, or The Third Ring of Restriction.
This ability can also be used to dispel any creature's The Second Ring of Restriction from a target. This alternate application requires you to make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the character level of the causer + their Wisdom modifier) to successfully remove the affliction.

5th Circle
Dimensional RingsSU: Those hit by your circle magic notice faint residual rings preventing teleportation. Any creature who fails a save against an ability from this track is affected by the Dimensional Anchor spell for the rest of the [Encounter]. This is a passive ability

6th Circle
The Third Ring of RestrictionSU: You may use The First Ring of Restriction and The Second Ring of Restriction at [Long] range.
Once per [Round] as a standard action, you may fire a ring of constricting energy at one target within [Long] range who is afflicted by your The First Ring of Restriction and The Second Ring of Restriction. The target must make a Reflex save or suffer an additional -2 penalty to Reflex saves (a total of -4) and be unable to voluntarily change the radial elevation between you two for the rest of the [Encounter]. In combination with The First Ring of Restriction and The Second Ring of Restriction, this [Binding] effect completely restricts their movement, and [Flying] creatures remain [Flying] even if that movement mode becomes unavailable while the creature is afflicted with this ability. The target may make the same Reflex save at the start of your turn each [Round] to remove this effect. This ability cannot be used on a target afflicted by another creature's The First Ring of Restriction, The Second Ring of Restriction, or The Third Ring of Restriction.
This ability can also be used to dispel any creature's The Third Ring of Restriction from a target. This alternate application requires you to make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the character level of the causer + their Wisdom modifier) to successfully remove the affliction.

7th Circle
Ring of LockdownSLA: You summon a powerful horizontal ring above a nearby enemy, temporarily shutting down their ability to fight. Once per [Quest] at the cost of both a standard and a move action, one target within [Close] range becomes [Paralyzed] for 3 [Rounds].

~

If you want to implement this track with a grid-based map, all I can say is have fun! It's not intended to be done that way, though it is possible (just really inelegant due to the Rings of Restriction).

I know the rules for the Rings of Restriction are detailed and may be confusing, but that detail is necessary to explain exactly how it works.
Note that the ability to remove lower rings of restriction while leaving the higher ones (and how saving to remove the rings goes in reverse order) is intentional. It sounds strange but makes a lot of sense when you consider 2 creatures with this track fighting. The first thing a Maru character would want to stop is melee characters, and an opposed Maru caster can enable that again since a melee character would care less about lateral/radial or vertical movement.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 03:54:39 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Maru track
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 02:45:26 PM »
All right I'm really good a missing things, so I'm very well might have missed the explinations to the following questions.

If you are affected by all three rings do you have to remove them one at a time?
Can you only use the higher magnitude ring if they are affected by all the lower level ones/ and does that mean that you can't start using saves for 1 & 2 until after the third ring is gone?
With the first ring they are limited to a sphere around caster, second a circle(given that the afflicted has flight), and third immobility?

It sounds like an awesome track very interesting, good job as always ^^
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 02:55:11 PM »
I don't doubt my explanations might not be clear, so it's no problem.

Yes, you only get one save at the start of the caster's turn, and it applies to the highest-tier ring you have on. It takes 3 rounds to apply all rings and 3 rounds to get them all off manually.

Correct on both counts. You can't put on the 3rd ring until both the 1st and 2nd rings are on, which is why the removal of lower level rings through the alternate usage of the ability can help hamper an opposing Maru user. Yes, the rings must be broken in reverse order of application.

Yes, those 3 shapes are correct. Normally character can move in 3 dimensions, and each ring lowers that by 1 (technically the shapes described aren't one dimension lower, but they are when you flatten them out; spherical [non-Euclidian] geometry can be weird like that since most people thing of things in a Euclidian fashion due to their education).

Thanks!
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »
the first and second Rings of Restriction are really odd considering Legend's abstract flight mechanics. yes, you are in a sphere/ring, but how "high" on the sphere are you when flying at an indeterminate height?

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »
I agree that it is odd if you consider a grid or flattened flight, since that essentially allows the enemy to approach you despite RoR 1+2. If you ignore the gird and treat flying logically, it works fine. With the flying and grid, it's probably better to flatten everything to 2D. That does create a problem as RoR 1+2 would then essentially be RoR 1+2+3 w/ Flying or not being the only real factor.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:24:49 PM »
How does the second one work? I see that the first will only let them move in a ring, does the second not let them move left/right along the circle?

Narsis

• Elite
  • Pirate Robot Ninja Dragon
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 06:32:21 PM »
since abstracted flight is the norm for Legend, I think it'd be wise to find a way to make this track compatible with it.
Awesome Legend pally avatar by Prime32

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 06:56:14 PM »
Yes, the having the 1st and 2nd ones means you can only move vertically relative to the person with this track (a vertical circle with the Maru person at the center and you at the edge).

This poses a bit of a problem, Narsis...
Currently, it does work w/ Legend's abstracted flight. Since Legend ignores the existence of a 3rd dimension, it would mean that being hit w/ both rings 1 and 2 would leave you only able to switch to and from flying (remember that sufficient jump checks can make you flying, so the ability to fly is normal even beyond the commonality of an explicit ability).
Logically (aka: not using Legend flight), it also works as read.
Trying to emulate the real aspects of flight in Legend's abstract flight system causes more complications than it's worth. It would mean that w/o having ring 3, you could still approach the Maru character if he is flying and you are not flying or vice-versa. At anywhere aside from your original distance when level with him, you couldn't switch to the movement mode he was using or be pushed back to the level distance. That not only looks weird but feels really strange. Not to mention, in Legend's abstract flight, I don't think you're allowed to occupy the same square as another character, which makes sense with this track's ability (otherwise you couldn't flip to his other side). This i complicated, but it also causes the problem of all AoEs being infinite columns. This means that the entire purpose of the ring restriction isn't doing its job.
Basically, I can't take 3 abilities that each depend on one of the spatial dimensions and flatten them to 2 dimensions. It makes one ability redundant or overpowered. I agree that it doesn't make sense, but I think the rings of restriction are justified since they draw on aspects of the real world.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew