Author Topic: The Teleporter - Distorting Space in a Track  (Read 2649 times)

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Problem Solver Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Teleporter - Distorting Space in a Track
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:07:15 PM »

The Teleporter

All [Teleportation] effects granted by this track provoke attacks of opportunity at the beginning of the movement, but not the rest of it.

1st Circle – Step (Su): Once per [Encounter] per 4 levels (minimum 1), as a move action, you may [Teleport] to any square within [Close] range.

2nd Circle – Strike (Su): If you take an attack action directly after [Teleporting], you may treat your target as [Flat-footed] for the first attack in that attack action you make.

3rd Circle – Bamf (Su): You may now use your Step ability at will.  Once per [Encounter] per 4 levels (minimum 1), as a swift action, you may [Teleport] to any square within [Close] range.

4th Circle – Blink (Su): When you [Teleport], you gain a 20% [Miss chance] until the beginning of your next turn.  This [Miss chance] stacks with itself once (up to 40% miss chance).  Additionally, in any [Round] in which you have [Teleported] at least once, you may make a [Bonus attack].

5th Circle – Jump (Su): As a standard action once per [Scene], you can teleport up to 100 miles, as the spell, except that you always arrive precisely on target.

6th Circle – Jolt (Su): Once per [Encounter], when targeted by a melee attack, you may [Teleport], as if having used Step, as an immediate action.  This sudden disappearance leaves the opponent targeting you disoriented.  Choose one of the following effects.
        Redirected Swing: The opponent must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your KDM) or accidentally allow their momentum to continue their attack into someone nearby.  If your opponent fails their save, they must make the melee attack they would have used against you against another opponent of yours in the attacker’s [Melee] range.
        Uncontrolled Fall: Alternatively, the opponent must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your KDM) or stumble and collapse.  If your opponent fails their save, they are [Entangled] for one [Round] and knocked [Prone].

7th Circle – Dash (Su): You may use your Bamf ability at will, and your Blink ability now stacks with itself twice (up to 60% [Miss chance]).  Additionally, your supernatural distortions of space rend the fabric of reality to an incredible degree, damaging anyone in your wake.  Once per [Round], you may cause any opponents in your [Melee] range when you appear at the end of a [Teleport] takes damage equal to twice your character level.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:10:33 PM by Timeless Error »
Thanks to Aruius on GitP for creating my excellent avatar!

This space is dedicated to Nezzy, the noblest Roden of them all.  May he rest in peace and be undisturbed by toxic chemicals.

My Homebrew

--Timeless Error, Emerald Knight

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Teleporter - Distorting Space in a Track
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:59:33 PM »
This is truly a character concept close to my heart. However, I never made a track like this because I felt that, between Ten Ninjas and shadow blink, Legend already supported the role adequately. Using bluff as part of the move action you use to teleport, and you can teleport to catch people flat footed. You can be teleporting around every round, and by building for speed you can be making some respectable distances. Flash of shadows in ninja gives you a swift action teleport/move ability. So, I don't really feel like this track is adding that much to the system that you couldn't already do.

Some comments on the balance anyways:
As far as I can tell, Step doesn't provoke AoOs. Which means that by 3rd, you never provoke AoOs for moving, in addition to everything else. That is a bit too powerful for that circle.

Dash is also extremely powerful. Between Bamf and step, you can be teleporting 3 or 4 times a round- maybe more if you consider things like into the breach. 2x level damage to everyone in melee at the end of each of those is 8x level damage or more, without even using your standard action. That is way too powerful. Look at destruction 7.
Or even more abusive, get shadow blink, use it to make all movement in a round teleport, then use poet to move 5 times.

My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Problem Solver Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 10:22:40 PM »
This is truly a character concept close to my heart. However, I never made a track like this because I felt that, between Ten Ninjas and shadow blink, Legend already supported the role adequately. Using bluff as part of the move action you use to teleport, and you can teleport to catch people flat footed. You can be teleporting around every round, and by building for speed you can be making some respectable distances. Flash of shadows in ninja gives you a swift action teleport/move ability. So, I don't really feel like this track is adding that much to the system that you couldn't already do.
That's true, actually.  I agree that Legend has the bases covered here already, but it doesn't hurt to have a little overlap (and it's not as if existing Legend tracks and abilities don't already overlap with each other in different ways).  The goal of this track is just to provide some slightly different options.

Some comments on the balance anyways:
As far as I can tell, Step doesn't provoke AoOs. Which means that by 3rd, you never provoke AoOs for moving, in addition to everything else. That is a bit too powerful for that circle.
You provoke AoOs at the beginning of your movement, but not the rest of it.  If you still think it's too much, I can remove the at-will use granted by Bamf.

Dash is also extremely powerful. Between Bamf and step, you can be teleporting 3 or 4 times a round- maybe more if you consider things like into the breach. 2x level damage to everyone in melee at the end of each of those is 8x level damage or more, without even using your standard action. That is way too powerful. Look at destruction 7.
Or even more abusive, get shadow blink, use it to make all movement in a round teleport, then use poet to move 5 times.
I could have sworn I put a once per [Round] limit on that thing.  Will edit that in.

This space is dedicated to Nezzy, the noblest Roden of them all.  May he rest in peace and be undisturbed by toxic chemicals.

My Homebrew

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:32:08 PM »
You provoke AoOs at the beginning of your movement, but not the rest of it.  If you still think it's too much, I can remove the at-will use granted by Bamf.
It should say that. The ability is SU, so it doesn't provoke, nor are you actually moving- its just a teleport.

I could have sworn I put a once per [Round] limit on that thing.  Will edit that in.
That helps it a lot, but its still better than destruction's 7th.

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 02:52:41 PM »
It should say that. The ability is SU, so it doesn't provoke, nor are you actually moving- its just a teleport.
OK, I'll put that in.

That helps it a lot, but its still better than destruction's 7th.
I'm...not sure how to deal with this.  One one hand, this ability is obviously stronger than Destruction 7, but I'm wondering if Destruction 7 is a valid comparison.  If you look at Air Elemental 2, you'll notice that it's dealing about half of Destruction 7's damage, no save, putting it only slightly behind in power.  In general, Destruction 7 seems quite weak for a 7th circle ability.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 03:20:25 PM by Timeless Error »

My Homebrew

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 06:41:10 PM »
I'm...not sure how to deal with this.  One one hand, this ability is obviously stronger than Destruction 7, but I'm wondering if Destruction 7 is a valid comparison.  If you look at Air Elemental 2, you'll notice that it's dealing about half of Destruction 7's damage, no save, putting it only slightly behind in power.  In general, Destruction 7 seems quite weak for a 7th circle ability.
You may have a point. Its hard to figure out balance when the points of comparison may be off.

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »
... bamf. That's all I have to say.