Author Topic: Track: Insanity Feild/Illusion Feild  (Read 2621 times)

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Track: Insanity Feild/Illusion Feild
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:06:56 PM »
All right for starters I feel kinda weird posting this track to begin with xD I've seen a lot of the other work on here and you guys all seem super creative. And I'm... not very creative... at all. All that is to say that I tend to run campaigns that have some NPC's that had their basis in either an anime or in a video game. They aren't direct rips, but it's generally obvious once I point out who was the inspiration for that character. Now in 3.5 I use to do this all the time just giving them abilities appropriate to the character they were based on, and now that my party has been adapting to legend I've been making tracks that are unique to these people.

All that is to say that 90% of what I post is just going to be what I think a character's powers in track form are like, uncreative and simple xD Now for the only one I actually have even slightly done xD

I based this track on Reisen from Touhou 8, if you don't know who it is, she uses her eyes to completely screw with people's heads making them insane, hence the name insanity field. A lot of the abilities tend to lay more along illusionary line so that's an alternate name for the track I suppose. Any ways here is the track its-self.

Insanity Feild/Illusion Feild

1st Circle
Deploying FieldSU: Creates a field around the user out to [close range]. This field can alter the perception of those with-in it. The field can be either turned on or off at will as a standard action. All of the effects of this track only apply with-in the field unless other wise noted. Turning the field off counts as the opponent leaving the field.
Hypnotic eyeEX: Those who have fallen with in your field of insanity would do well not to look into your eyes. Once per [encounter] per 4 character levels (minimum of 1) you may use one of three gaze attacks. Each of these gaze attacks require a line of effect that does not effect those who are blind. A Will save against 10 + ½ you character level + your Charisma modifier will negate the effects.
  • Confusion: The target becomes [Confused] for 3 rounds
  • Charming: At fourth circle, you gain a second gaze attack. The target must stop attacking you and your party until threatened.
  • Hypnotic: At seventh circle, you gain a third gaze attack. The target is lulled into a deep sleep. The target will be left helpless for a number rounds equal to your CHA mod or until damage is taken.

2nd Circle
To SlowSU: Each time you make a successful attack action you can reduce the opponents AC by one, to a maximum of -5. This effect last until the end of the [encounter] or until your opponent leaves your Insanity Field.

3rd Circle
Illusionary DuplicateSLA: You gain access to some spells that can be used with in your field. Once per every 4 levels per [encounter] you can use either the Silent Image spell or the Project Image spells.

4th Circle[/u]
Immaterial BodySU: Attacks seem to pass through your body. Once per [encounter] as a swift action you gain a 50% Miss chance for three [round].

5th Circle
It's My WorldSU: Creatures within your insanity field have their speed halved. This does not stack with illusionary obstacles. will save negates
Clear terrorSU: As a move action, you make an ally within your insanity field appear to be a major threat. Opponents within your insanity field must make a will save to attack anyone else.

6th Circle
Mental SchismSU: As a standard action, every opponent in your insanity field takes 1d6 damage/level and is [Entangled] for 1 round. A will save halves the damage and negates the [Entangled] effect

7th Circle
Watch your stepSU: All foes with in your field treated as [flat-footed] for as long as they are in the field of insanity, a Reflex save (10 + ½ you character level + Charisma modifier) negates the effects. The save is applied for every round that the opponent stays with-in the insanity field, meaning that a new save will be rolled upon exiting then then reentering the insanity field. It takes a Will save (10 + ½ you character level + your Charisma modifier) to leave the insanity field.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:26:02 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Insainty Feild/Illusion Feild
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:19:15 PM »
Don't be so hard on yourself; it's your first track after all.
Many of the tracks people put here are pulled from some other media as well. ;)

The abilities seem to fit Reisen well.
For Hypnotic Gaze, you mean Cha Mod, right?
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:34:14 PM »
Rather get that out of the way now, then later.

I did mean that I'm still use to 3.5 were the MOD was implied when you talked about the skill sorry ^^;
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:44:12 AM »
I like the concept, but I have a few issues with it.

First, saying "each of these gaze attacks is a line of effect" is wrong. They can require  a line of effect, sure, but actually being one is incorrect.

fearful: inflicting the shaken [Frightened] for 2 [rounds]
which is it supposed to be, [shaken] or [Frightened]? And compare it to Necromancer 1, cause fear. Thats a will save or be [Shaken] for 2 rounds. So, [Shaken] would seem to be more appropriate, but this is limited use per encounter and has a standard action tax beforehand, so [frightened] may be appropriate after all.

charming needs clarification. what does "until threatened" mean? Somebody attacking them? Dealing damage to them? Is the party of warriors swinging swords through your  friends threatening?

Hypnotic is basically a save or die, and hence bad.

To slow doesn't seem to mesh well with the track. It boosts your attack actions, while everything else is giving you alternative standard actions to use.

Also, as a general design principle, I wouldn't have 3 circles devoted to duplicating spells. A circle or two may work to get some nifty abilities, but by this point you start to lose disticntiveness compared to actual casters.
More specifically, Illusionary duplicate is completely out of whack. I'll buy a 1/4 levels per encounter use of a 1st level spell as a 3rd circle. However, even 1 use of a 6th circle spell as a 3rd circle is way too much, and this is giving multiple. Project image is way too powerful for this circle.

5th circle pairing is likewise weird. Its now a 4th circle spell or a upgraded 1st level spell as a 5th circle. The major image is not that much lower of a circle to easily justify the high number of uses. The dimensional swap is also of shakey balance. Its teleporting enemies without a save, which is something that needs closely examined.
6th circle giving several uses of a 5th circle spell is likewise questionable,  but prismatic spray is a 7th circle spell, and hence very inappropriate to use there.
Generally speaking, if you have multiple abilities from the same use pool like that, they should be comparable abilities, i.e. of  the same circle. My rule of thumb is a single use per encounter of a same level spell is appropriate for a circle, as over the course of a scene that is likely comparable to a spellcaster using that circle of spell. Going to a higher circle spell is pretty much always a bad idea, and multiple uses of lower circle spells have to be considered carefully, as they can require a lot of actions to do things that are passé.

Watch your step is hard to compare. The first effect is interesting, but this track is not well suited to take advantage of it. Pretty much nothing it does will care about flat footed, and its not generally designed to be a team support class, so it seems odd to inflict a condition that you are not able to benefit from. (Well, I gues s you benefit from the lack of AoOs, but still...).
The inability to move away is best compared to Swashbuckler 7. swash 7 requires a successful once more attack, but I'd say that is fairly trivial to acheive at that level. The effect lasts for 3 rounds, whilst yours is apparantly only for that action(it should be clarified, probably to 1/round), but has a tighter bound. Overall it doesn't seem too far out of whack.

Also, you need to type these abilities.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »

First, saying "each of these gaze attacks is a line of effect" is wrong. They can require  a line of effect, sure, but actually being one is incorrect.

All right cool I'll fix that up right away.

fearful: inflicting the shaken [Frightened] for 2 [rounds]
which is it supposed to be, [shaken] or [Frightened]? And compare it to Necromancer 1, cause fear. Thats a will save or be [Shaken] for 2 rounds. So, [Shaken] would seem to be more appropriate, but this is limited use per encounter and has a standard action tax beforehand, so [frightened] may be appropriate after all.

Typo's typos e.e It's suppose to the [frightened]

charming needs clarification. what does "until threatened" mean? Somebody attacking them? Dealing damage to them? Is the party of warriors swinging swords through your  friends threatening?

It's the same phrasing used int he Charm skill feat.

Hypnotic is basically a save or die, and hence bad.

I like having that abbility but that's one I've been changing constantly because it is very OP so do you have any recomendations?

To slow doesn't seem to mesh well with the track. It boosts your attack actions, while everything else is giving you alternative standard actions to use.

I know that it doesn't seem to mesh well, but this is one of the many times that it was because this track is for a specific NPC in my campians so some of the things that don't seem to go with the track go with her as a character. Kinda weird I know xD

Also, as a general design principle, I wouldn't have 3 circles devoted to duplicating spells. A circle or two may work to get some nifty abilities, but by this point you start to lose disticntiveness compared to actual casters.
More specifically, Illusionary duplicate is completely out of whack. I'll buy a 1/4 levels per encounter use of a 1st level spell as a 3rd circle. However, even 1 use of a 6th circle spell as a 3rd circle is way too much, and this is giving multiple. Project image is way too powerful for this circle.

5th circle pairing is likewise weird. Its now a 4th circle spell or a upgraded 1st level spell as a 5th circle. The major image is not that much lower of a circle to easily justify the high number of uses. The dimensional swap is also of shakey balance. Its teleporting enemies without a save, which is something that needs closely examined.
6th circle giving several uses of a 5th circle spell is likewise questionable,  but prismatic spray is a 7th circle spell, and hence very inappropriate to use there.
Generally speaking, if you have multiple abilities from the same use pool like that, they should be comparable abilities, i.e. of  the same circle. My rule of thumb is a single use per encounter of a same level spell is appropriate for a circle, as over the course of a scene that is likely comparable to a spellcaster using that circle of spell. Going to a higher circle spell is pretty much always a bad idea, and multiple uses of lower circle spells have to be considered carefully, as they can require a lot of actions to do things that are passé.

And here is the primary reason I wanted some one to comment on this track, I agree duplicating spells is very cheep and I mostly did it three times cause I completely ran out of ideas for this track. Personally I would like to know if you have any idea's for an ability that might work in place of one of the spell casting circles.

Watch your step is hard to compare. The first effect is interesting, but this track is not well suited to take advantage of it. Pretty much nothing it does will care about flat footed, and its not generally designed to be a team support class, so it seems odd to inflict a condition that you are not able to benefit from. (Well, I gues s you benefit from the lack of AoOs, but still...).
The inability to move away is best compared to Swashbuckler 7. swash 7 requires a successful once more attack, but I'd say that is fairly trivial to acheive at that level. The effect lasts for 3 rounds, whilst yours is apparantly only for that action(it should be clarified, probably to 1/round), but has a tighter bound. Overall it doesn't seem too far out of whack.

The flat-footed is another abbility that is more for the fact that this is a character specific class in my campain ;/

The inabblity to move away lasts until the opponet leaves the field, or it's deactivated. I should probably add they can check as part of their move action every round though...

Also, you need to type these abilities.
[/quote]
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
If an ability is very character specific and doesn't otherwise fit, it probably shouldn't go in a track like this. Consider making those abilities into feats/feat trees instead, as that is much more amiable to being character specific than a circle in a track.

Ok, some of my ideas for this:

7th circle gaze attack:
considering that 1/4 levels is 4-5 times per encounter by this point, its essentially at will. So, it should be nice, but not very overwhelming.
This does make me somewhat concerned about the [Frightened] ability now, as that is very dangerous.
Hmm.
How about
confusion: the target becomes [Confused] for 3 rounds

Some abilities you could include:
Illusionary obstacles: creatures within your insanity field treat all squares as difficult terrain. will save negates
Disorientation: creatures within your insanity field have their speed halved. This does not stack with illusionary obstacles. will save negates
Clear terror: As a move action, you make an ally within your insanity field appear to be a major threat. Opponents within your insanity field must make a will save to attack anyone else.
Mental Schism: As a standard action, every opponent in your insanity field takes 1d6 damage/level and is [Confused] for 1 round. A will save halves the damage and negates the [Confused] effect

Note that these may need more limits depending on what circle they end up in

My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 02:50:26 PM »
If an ability is very character specific and doesn't otherwise fit, it probably shouldn't go in a track like this. Consider making those abilities into feats/feat trees instead, as that is much more amiable to being character specific than a circle in a track.

Ok, some of my ideas for this:

7th circle gaze attack:
considering that 1/4 levels is 4-5 times per encounter by this point, its essentially at will. So, it should be nice, but not very overwhelming.
This does make me somewhat concerned about the [Frightened] ability now, as that is very dangerous.
Hmm.
How about
confusion: the target becomes [Confused] for 3 rounds

Some abilities you could include:
Illusionary obstacles: creatures within your insanity field treat all squares as difficult terrain. will save negates
Disorientation: creatures within your insanity field have their speed halved. This does not stack with illusionary obstacles. will save negates
Clear terror: As a move action, you make an ally within your insanity field appear to be a major threat. Opponents within your insanity field must make a will save to attack anyone else.
Mental Schism: As a standard action, every opponent in your insanity field takes 1d6 damage/level and is [Confused] for 1 round. A will save halves the damage and negates the [Confused] effect

Note that these may need more limits depending on what circle they end up in

All right I'm gunna look at it over the week and see if I can revamp it a little bit
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 09:09:44 PM »
All right I fixed it all up, at least as much as I'm going to fix it up xD any ways much thanks to Mystify and Yoder for all the help with the tracks and if any one else has any comments then feel free I am just satisfied with the current result.
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine