Author Topic: Evoker track  (Read 6015 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Evoker track
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:51:57 PM »
What originally started as an attempt to port the Warlock class to Legend changed slightly to produce a track I've been wanting to make for a while. I'm not familiar w/ the Warlock beyond knowing that it relies on Eldritch Blast and augments it w/ Invocations, so I came up with a suite of Invocations that were more general (and not as inherently associated w/ evil). Since Elementalist and Arcane Lore are close to what an evoker would be, I tried to make this unique. Although it shares some aspects with those tracks, the way this track would be played is far different due to its inherent flexibility and action cost.

Evoker track
While most magic users focus on their utility, you place your emphasis on dealing damage. You're still versatile, but that versatility is geared toward augmenting the effectiveness of channeling a blast of raw arcane energy at an opponent. Though your shots may not be as powerful as the spells used by other mages, your ability to adapt to any combat situation gives you the edge.

If you cast spells, all DCs are based off of your primary spellcasting ability. Otherwise, you can pick a mental ability, and that ability determines all DCs for this track. The DC for Eldritch Blast is 10 + 1/2 your character level + the modifier of the mental ability you selected.

Restriction: Evoker is only available through Guild Initiation.

1st Circle
Eldritch BlastSLA: Once per [Round] as a swift action, you can summon a burst of energy targeting a single 5 ft square within [Close] range. It does 1d6 magic damage per circle of this track you possess and allows a Will save for half damage.
InvocationsSU: As you become more familiar with handling raw magical force, you learn to freely alter the properties of Eldritch Blast. The Invocations presented in each of the following circles are mutually exclusive only with Invocations from the same circle, meaning that any given usage of Eldritch Blast can be affected by at most 1 Invocation from each circle to which you have access. Invocations have no action cost, but be aware that some do have usage limits.

2nd Circle - Elemental Invocation
You learn to infuse the energy you cast with one of the 4 elements, making it easier to handle and allowing you take take advantage of an enemy's shortcomings.
Note: Using any Elemental Invocation increases the damage dealt by Eldritch Blast by the mental ability modifier you chose for this track.
Acrid Blast: Eldritch Blast instead deals [Acid] damage and allows a Fortitude save.
Frost Blast: Eldritch Blast instead deals [Cold] damage and allows a Fortitude save.
Spark Blast: Eldritch Blast instead deals [Electricity] damage and allows a Reflex save.
Flame Blast: Eldritch Blast instead deals [Fire] damage and allows a Reflex save.

3rd Circle - Shaping Invocation
You learn to affect how the power you call upon is released so it can strike the desired targets.
Eldritch Ball: Eldritch Blast manifests as a baseball-sized bit of energy fired at a specific location within [Long] range. When it reaches that location, or if it hits an obstruction, it detonates in a 20-foot-radius explosion, doing 1d6 damage per circle of this track you possess. If you try to aim the ball through a small enclosure (size Small or lower), you must make a ranged attack against an AC of 10 + the size modifier of the enclosure. Any creature affected is entitled to a save for half damage. Creatures who fail the save are hurled to the outside edge of the effect.
Eldritch Bolt: Eldritch Blast manifests as a line of energy fired at a specific location within [Medium] range. The line is 5 ft wide, does 2d4 damage per circle of this track you possess to all creatures in the area, and continues until it reaches the limit of [Medium] range or strikes an obstruction (such as a solid wall). The line deals damage to the obstruction and, if that damage is sufficient to break through the obstruction, continues as normal. Any creature affected is entitled to a save for half damage. Creatures who fail the save become [Prone].
Eldritch Wave: Eldritch Blast manifests as a cone of energy, 15 ft long +5 ft per level, that does 1d6 damage per circle of this track you possess to all creatures in the area (save half). Creatures who fail the save are pushed backwards up to 5 ft per level, but cannot be pushed past the outside edge of the cone.
Eldritch Burst: Eldritch Blast manifests as a sphere of energy emanating 30 ft from you. The sphere does 2d4 damage per circle of this track you possess to all creatures in the area. Any creature affected is entitled to a save for half damage. Creatures who fail the save are hurled to the outside edge of the effect and become [Prone].

4th Circle - Stable Invocation
You can now subdue the volatile nature of the power, allowing you to release remnants of it upon your enemies or cast safely.
Eldritch Glow: Creatures hit by Eldritch Blast are [Revealed] for 1 [Round].
Sly Blast: Eldritch Blast does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity.

5th Circle - Surging Invocation
You manage to unleash the blast all at once, making the searing magic harder to resist.
Eldritch Boost: Creatures who fail the save against Eldritch Blast suffer a condition based on the Elemental Invocation applied (or not applied) to Eldritch Blast.
ELEMENTCONDITION
Magic[Battered]
Acid[Nauseated] for 1 [Round]
Cold[Slowed] for 1 [Round]
Electricity[Entangled] for 2 [Rounds]
Fire[Blinded] for 2 [Rounds]
Eldritch Intensity: Increased the DC of the save of Eldritch Blast by 4. When you reach Level 15, the increase rises to 5.

6th Circle - Speed Invocation
You can tame the violent magic in less time, letting you get in a second weaker blast or cast more quickly.
Eldritch Echo: This Invocation may only be used once per [Encounter]. After using Eldritch Blast, you can cast it again at no action cost but without any Invocations applied. This additional casting does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity.
Rapid Blast: This Invocation may only be used once per [Scene]. Eldritch Blast can be used as part of another swift action.

7th Circle - Power Invocation
You submit your body to becoming an arcane conduit. While this lets you wreak havoc, the strain it places on your body prevents you from doing these as often.
Wild Blast: This Invocation may only be used once per [Encounter]. For Eldritch Blast, roll d12s instead of d6s and d8s instead of d4s.
Dire Blast: This Invocation may only be used once per [Scene]. For Eldritch Blast, roll dice based on your level instead of your circles of this track.

~

I'm aware the Cd6 and (C*2)d4 are pretty weak (Magic Missile can easily beat that for average damage output). I kept the damage output low for my initial posting, because I'm not sure if the versatility this track affords is enough to justify it. Would (L/2)d6 and Ld4 be suitable damage output? It'd put them at exactly half of an Elementalist.

To be clear, the extra damage from C2's Invocations still applies when using a C3 Invocation.

Before anybody suggest I apply usage limits to the various Invocations in order to raise the damage, I want characters w/ this track to have a multitude of options at their disposal at any given time.

I restricted this to require Guild Initiation, because I designed it for a guild in a campaign I'm in. Additionally, this limitation prevents it from being as commonplace as Elementalist and Arcane Lore.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:01:37 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Evoker track
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 12:15:59 PM »
One thing. Why Wisdom, and not the standard "pick a mental for KAM?."

It doesn't have an inherent KOM change, and it specifically references a score it doesn't change to. Bad Idea. As is, the only Evokers will be Shamans, Ninjas (da fuq?), Monks (again, da fuq?) and Liches.
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 01:11:09 PM »
You're right. That should've been more in line w/ the Elementalist's choice and Sage's chassis. I've changed it.

I had a thought. What if using C2 changed the save to Fort (Acid, Cold) or Ref (Fire, Elec) like an Elementalist? As it stands, C2 can be helpful against a character w/ [Vulnerability], but characters will more often than not have some level of [Resistance] to elements. What's more, characters are unlikely to have [Resistance] to magical damage, which makes choosing the elements less appealing. By changing the save, it raises incentive to use an element that the target may have some [Resistance] since you may be able to deal more by way of going against their poor save. What do you think?

In case you were wondering, the scaling of C5's Intensity is meant to be closer to the difference between a good and a poor save (which unfortunately jumps back down to 4 at L16, though I didn't account for it due to the oddity of that). Should I just make it a straight 5?
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »
Defiantly should be Ld6 comparing to Elementalist 1st Circle is both Evokers 1st and 2nd but stronger.
That being said Dire Blast doesn't seem like a 7th circle, Usually per Scenes last for the entire [Scene].
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 03:28:08 PM »
Going full Ld6 would be too strong due to the freedom this track has in C2 and C3 over the Elementalist (not to mention the freedom of choice in later circles). Whereas an Elementalist has to choose their element and shape permanently, an Evoker can use all of them. I'm being very cautious in regards to damage output, because this track has a large amount of flexibility. I'm open to bumping it up to (L/2)d6, but I think any higher would hurt the balance.

EDIT: As for Dire Blast, consider that you could be casting in an element that is the enemy's weakness, in a shape that hits the most enemies and spares the most allies, such that it doesn't provoke an AoO, with a heightened DC, and such that it costs a move action. All of this is in addition to the Ld6. That's a very powerful combination, though I could see making it once per [encounter] like Wild Blast.

EDIT2: Also consider that if I go through w/ the idea suggested in my last post about changing the save based on the element, that would mean that making the enemy [battered] is expected due to taking advantage of their poor save. I'm also pondering the prospect of changing the status effect inflicted based on the element (w/ battered still the no-element status effect, and the other statuses as detailed in the Elementalist).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 03:39:02 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »
Hm. Knowledge checks are really important for this guy. Knowing the enemy's low save will make or break a battle.
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 04:01:54 PM »
I've implemented the save-changing provision into C2. Yeah, I want Shamans and Tacticians (among others) to both have reasons to take this track. With C3, Tacticians will be able to dish out some decent damage from the sidelines. What's worse is if the enemy's elemental weakness (if any) is on the same save which is poor (weak to fire/elec and poor ref, weak to acid/cold and poor fort, or weak to magic and poor will).
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
*consults his spreadsheets*
Even if you are always hitting every enemie's weak save, and are somehow hitting a vulnerability every time, elementalist still comes out ahead. Esp. at low levels. up till C3, elementalist  will have a decided power advantage that evoker doesn't come close to negating. circle d3 is 1/3 level d3. Hence, even if elementalist is stopped by every save, they will be doing about 1d6/2 levels damage. Wheras if evoker beats every save, they are only doing 1d6/3 levels. Your best case is worse than their worse case. Resistences and vulnerabilities are not nearly so widespread and specific as to make the flexibility of choosing an element be worth that much.  And, even if they do have [Resistence], elementalist has the power to push through it. For instance, at level 20, elementalist deals 70 damage, 35 with a failed save. resistence drops it to 50, or 15. your d6/circle is dealing 24 to start, 12 on a failed save.  The elementalist wins in damage, even when firing through the enemies resistance. These ratios are generally steady across all levels. I'm not counting elementalist's ability to pierce resistance either.
plus, while this has more flexibility to hit an enemies vulnerability, elementalist has the ability to create the vulnerability they need.

C3 is the first place where you can even begin to claim an advantage, due to spammable AoE. But, an elementalist will still get the oomph out of 1 of their AoE castings as you are getting from 3 of yours. So, they win on sheer action economy still.

c4 doesn't really do much to improve the power of it, whilst elementalist is now gaining either a potent defensive power or yet another effect to be throwing up across the battlefield whilst you are still plinking away with your weak AoE.

c5 is kinda nice. But, again, even if you always make the save, your are still weaker!.
meanwhile, elementalist is nuking the entire battlefield.

c6- ok, this one is kinda nice. however, the move action is very late to be able to take advantage of it. If you invested in attacks, they are wasted up till now, and its very late to be able to pull together the ability to use them. If you have a secondary standard action track, its sitting by the wayside all this time.

7c. one of them doubles your strength... which is still weaker than elementalist.
    the other makes you an par with an elementalist. once per scene.
   Do I need to say it?

Edit:
Oh, I forgot to include the +KOM damage  elementalist gets on their burst, completely smearing you in low leve damage as well.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 04:14:25 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 04:15:31 PM »
You're forgetting that the Elementalist has a high chance of nuking his allies with his attacks as well. C3's flexibility should not be underestimated.

For C6, I will note that this track, being exclusive to Guild Initiation, might be taken later. Alternatively, a character may switch out one of their tracks at that point to make use of the freed move action. One of the spellcasting tracks would do fine in combination w/ this as far as action economy is concerned.

Upping d4/d6 to d8/d12 doesn't double the average damage; it doubles the maximum possible damage.

Okay, and what of (L/2)d6 instead of Cd6?
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 04:23:19 PM »
You're forgetting that the Elementalist has a high chance of nuking his allies with his attacks as well. C3's flexibility should not be underestimated.

For C6, I will note that this track, being exclusive to Guild Initiation, might be taken later. Alternatively, a character may switch out one of their tracks at that point to make use of the freed move action. One of the spellcasting tracks would do fine in combination w/ this as far as action economy is concerned.

Upping d4/d6 to d8/d12 doesn't double the average damage; it doubles the maximum possible damage.

You are VASTLY overestimating how much this flexibility gains you. And Elementalist has a hard time keeping up with martial characters in damage.
I'm not even that impressed by an at-will AoE with a variety of shapes.  *looks at arane lore*.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 04:32:34 PM »
Edit:
Oh, I forgot to include the +KOM damage  elementalist gets on their burst, completely smearing you in low leve damage as well.

That was an oversight. It has been corrected, and I always intended it to apply to all forms of Eldritch Blast (whereas Elementalists only get that extra damage on their burst).
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 04:55:52 PM »

its 2.5 to  4.5 and 3.5 to 6.5. No, its not double, but its close enough to use as an estimate.

anyways, (L/2)d6 still puts your best case damage on par with their worst-case damage. If you really must have less damage, then I'd go with 1d4/level.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 05:01:59 PM »
How can the best cases of both Cd6 and (L/2)d6 both be the worst cases of the Elementalist's Ld6?
(L/2)d6 can result in more than an Elementalist due to Eldritch Echo combined w/ C7.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 05:54:03 PM »
How can the best cases of both Cd6 and (L/2)d6 both be the worst cases of the Elementalist's Ld6?
(L/2)d6 can result in more than an Elementalist due to Eldritch Echo combined w/ C7.
I didn't say the best cast of Cd6 was the worst case of Elementalist's Ld6. I said the best cast of Cd6 was worst than the worst cast of elementalist's Ld6.

And your echo combined with c7 gets up to 2xlevel d6. Whereas elementalist can drop several persistent AoEs, overlapping them so as to create zones that deal 3xlevel d6 to people in the overlap. And those zones stick around for the entire encounter.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 09:32:14 AM »
I'll show you how bad an Evoker w/ Ld6 would be by comparing it w/ Elementalist at each circle:

= C1: They're equal, though arguably Evoker is stronger due to magical resistance being harder to get than elemental resistance.
> C2: Being able to freely change the element and save makes Evoker superior to making one enemy have vulnerability to one element.
> C3: Evoker is clearly stronger here, because they can freely use any of the 3 shapes an Elementalist gets plus another one.
> C4: Not provoking is superior to doing minor elemental damage to those at melee, and revealing concealed/invisible creatures is superior to a wall (really easy to avoid entirely). That you can freely switch between those two is another reason Evoker would be better.
= C5: Elementalist gets some nasty effects here, so it seems roughly equal with making the save for a creature w/ a poor save almost impossible or applying battered.
> C6: Overall, doubling damage is better than halving resistance, since many creatures may not have a resistance to your element to halve. Freeing up your Standard is a huge advantage.
< C7: Elementalist clearly has the damage advantage, and the portal is a great utility.

The above is why I can't make the Evoker's Eldritch Blast do Ld6.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew